Next door neighbour damaged our property

I hv an IP and my next door neighbor was building a new house and we negotiated that he can keep his caravan and use our shed to keep his stuff (for 2 months) until Dec 25, 2008 in lieu of him changing the complete fence. He has not removed the caravan or cleaned the shed yet.

I had been calling him regularly and finally he promised to remove the caravan yesterday. While removing his caravan he has done damage to the property and today he was abusive saying that I should stop bothering him. (how ridiculous).

What should I do ? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Notify your insurance company and make a claim. If your not at fault your insurance company will fight to recover their money.

Several years ago, our next door neighbour lopped some trees which smashed the boundry fence and broke some coping around our pool. Our insurance company Allianz at the time recovered all money. Our excess was refunded in about six weeks.

Last edited:
Finally he has removed the caravan and emptied the shed. Still haven't cleaned the shed or repaired the damage done by him.

He has also dumped his side of garbage in our backyard.:mad:

i would seek legal advice if he done some damage to your property, notice alot of houses being developed in those suburbs.

Our next door neighbor threw some garbage on our side today. When i went to see the property and met him, he said he did it by mistake :rolleyes:. Obviously he did not bother to clean it up.

He has put his old carpet, broken windows, sheets from the fence in our backyard. Every time we meet, he promises to clean it up this week and then never does it.

How to handle such people. I had called up the council and they said, it doesn't fall in their jurisdiction. then i called the police and they said, its not a criminal case, so they can't get involved. Legal advice, will be lot more expensive.

Want to hear from the seasoned investors and hands on people to manage such a situation.

Thanks

Update

We cleaned up the fence and the backyard on our own, since the neighbour has flown to Bali for a holiday. He had promised to clean up the backyard last week :mad:

He has also removed part of the fence to have easy access to our property. He was using this as a thorough fare. Will close this today as well.

What a whanker.

We put all his garbage in his shed and will be moving the old tin sheets today and put them back in his backyard, in case he might use them.

Lesson learn't - Never trust anyone and let them use your property. There is no room for emotions.

yeah i was gonna say just dump all the **** on his front lawn or throw it back over the fence

Did some more today :)

Cleaned up the ivy, put the fence and closed the thorough fare. His front yard looks like s***.

One thing guys, after removing the ivy the house looks so good, neat and much bigger. Next two weekends, i will be painting the front.

Hi FM,

if he does repeat this form of "cleaning", just keep on returning his "goodies" onto his front lawn... Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,

Manny.

be moving the old tin sheets today and put them back in his backyard, in case he might use them.

How did you get them into his shed? ie did you walk onto his property?

I'm no law guy, but I'm wary of walking onto people's property when they are hostile - I don't want to get accussed of trespassing! :eek:

How did you get them into his shed? ie did you walk onto his property?

I'm no law guy, but I'm wary of walking onto people's property when they are hostile - I don't want to get accussed of trespassing! :eek:

Hi Zeddy,

We did not enter his property. We threw it over the fence.:)

Though he has made a thorough fare by removing 2 tin sheets from the fence and used to come into our property regularly.

was definetely a good idea to close the fence so he can't use your property as a dumping ground anymore!

have you spoken to your house insurance provider about the damage to the garage? if he is already abusive it might be better to distance yourself from the whole mess.

was definetely a good idea to close the fence so he can't use your property as a dumping ground anymore!

have you spoken to your house insurance provider about the damage to the garage? if he is already abusive it might be better to distance yourself from the whole mess.

My house has been robbed twice during renovations, hence the excess is $1,000. I had a close look at the damage, after removing the ivy, looks like its 3 hrs job and would cost couple of dollars to refit the damaged garage. I find it better and faster than dealing with the neighbour and the insurance company.

Infact, after cleaning up the place, i plan to paint it from outside and get it revalued and draw some equity. The whole thing has come up as a very positive experience.

But never forget the lesson, never let anyone use your property ever.:)
Cheers

Back