No Contraception, No Dole ???

To me, the issue is the Dole itself.

It is intended as a safety net for those who, for one reason or another, find they can't get a job.
Unfortunatly it has turned into a lifestyle choice for many, and the bleeding hearts keep throwing money at it.

Any system is always going to have people who take advantage. It doesn't matter what you put in place, there are going to be people who will figure out ways to play the system.

Begin to cut away the aged pension (that will fire up a few lefties Im sure).

How so? In my experience (working in financial planning) the 'I'm entitled to the Age Pension' attitude knows no political boundaries.

Yep agree 100% - although making people take contraceptives is a bit silly (hormones mess with some people). Doctors should be forced to report people who become pregnant/give birth (and their partners) to Centrelink, which deems them (and whoever they live with) void of payments for X amount of years. That would be enough of a deterrent I think. Or something like that.

People should be given a time limit to find a job and then be forced to volunteer if they can't get one. I bet there are people working odd cash jobs getting dole payments and no doubt that volunteering would interrupt those hours. There really are no excuses, anyone can work at McDonalds or Woolworths too. So many people faking long term injuries though....unsure how to police that.

No need for doctors to dob anyone for having a baby. They just dont receive any extra benefits. Simple.

Over the years we always have a few tenants on 'disability' pensions.
Without fail, everyone of them ask if have any jobs for them.
We always say no.

I mentioned this to one of their case workers during a conservation. She said she was frustrated with the system, but the tenant's doctor keep signing the papers. Their hands are tied.

Everybody doesn't want anybody else to receive transference but wants transference for themselves

If you don't want elderly people to receive the aged pension, families to receive some form of benefits, child care payments, then stop putting your hand out for Capital Gains Tax Concessions, Negative Gearing, cut up your Medicare card for yourself, wife, children and elderly parents and request to pay full fare for their medical treatment and drugs. The full, unsubsidized cost. You're pulling your weight, aren't you? Well, you can afford it then. No transference whatsoever.

I don't want transference. I don't have a medicare card, I don't get CGT concessions. I don't have negative gearing (positively geared property), nor do I receive family benefit. I don't want transference... I want lower taxes and I want to stop paying for those who CHOOSE not to work. I want to stop paying for families, who contribute nothing and I want to stop paying for the administration costs for all of this.

Im not saying do away with the dole completely - but make it a lifeline rather than a lifestyle choice.

What I am saying is do away with the "mid class" welfare and simplify the tax system.

As a welfare dependent nation we spend more on welfare than we do on Health and Education COMBINED. Spending nearly 35% of our total income on welfare. It is madness (and maddening). Aprox half of the taxpayers in Australia, actually pay no net tax (that is tax paid less handouts received). So tell me, whats the point of paying the administration cost for it?
The two largest Govt departments in Australia (by employment #)... you guessed it... the ATO and "Human services" (centerlink and their cohorts) (post note - for some reason this excludes Defence which employs about the same number of people as these two departments combined).

Our tax system is overly burdensome and complex.

Blacky

Another thing we all surely agree on is that the minerals in our land belong to all of us. Should've been a tax on this too. Hope there's something in place next time the mining boom comes around - even if it's 20 years away.

We have something much more efficient than taxes, Royalties !! These get paid whether they make a profit or not.

If only we could slap a royalty on Apple and Google etc......

I want to stop paying for families, who contribute nothing
Families/Children are the absolute core of a society, your prosperity comes from them. Without children (or the temporary fix of immigration) a society decays and collapses, asset value go down.
I?m in favour of high child care support, through higher subsidies and tax deductions for child care payments.

I want to stop paying for families, who contribute nothing
Did you miss the last three words in that quote?
Families/Children are the absolute core of a society, your prosperity comes from them. Without children (or the temporary fix of immigration) a society decays and collapses, asset value go down.
I?m in favour of high child care support, through higher subsidies and tax deductions for child care payments.

Yes, you do need children, but what you don't need are the career welfare folk, having more & more children in order to subsidise their lifestyle, sucking as much from the working taxpayers as possible.

Did you miss the last three words in that quote?

Yes, you do need children, but what you don't need are the career welfare folk, having more & more children in order to subsidise their lifestyle, sucking as much from the working taxpayers as possible.

But skater...these welfare folk, do create a of jobs...government jobs...but like you say, the taxpayer ends up paying for.

But skater...these welfare folk, do create a of jobs...government jobs...but like you say, the taxpayer ends up paying for.

LOL! I'd prefer less government jobs, a simplified tax system & the welfare folk can earn their dole money mowing median strips & picking up rubbish.

If people want to live on $500 a fortnight as their lifestyle I'm definitely not envious of it. Personally I'd prefer to work and earn many multiples of that.
As for the cost of having kids I agree with the approach others suggested- limit it to economies of scale. As you have more kids they cost less so parents should be receiving less welfare for each child.
In terms of food stamps there's still ways to get around it. Having lived in America before it was very common for people to sell their food stamps or trade them in for smokes or alcohol. It all comes down to financial management in the end.
The best form of welfare is a job. A lot of the substance abuse and mental health issues end up being a derivative of long term unemployment. People lose hope and become marginalised in society. Subsequently, they turn to substances to give them satisfaction and develop addictions creating a cycle etc.

Either way it's a complicated issue that's definitely not as easy as black or white. Every person has a story and different circumstances as to why they are currently unemployed.

As a welfare dependent nation we spend more on welfare than we do on Health and Education COMBINED. Spending nearly 35% of our total income on welfare. It is madness (and maddening). Aprox half of the taxpayers in Australia, actually pay no net tax (that is tax paid less handouts received). So tell me, whats the point of paying the administration cost for it?
The two largest Govt departments in Australia (by employment #)... you guessed it... the ATO and "Human services" (centerlink and their cohorts) (post note - for some reason this excludes Defence which employs about the same number of people as these two departments combined).

Our tax system is overly burdensome and complex.

Blacky

so say the government went ahead and simplified all the taxes etc so they don't need all the people managing them anymore.

what will all those people who have been laid off do? plus all the tax agents etc...? join the doll queue?

so say the government went ahead and simplified all the taxes etc so they don't need all the people managing them anymore.

what will all those people who have been laid off do? plus all the tax agents etc...? join the doll queue?

There are always people retiring...they can train for those jobs.

Reduced government expenditure means less govt take from GDP, which means more money can cycle freely through the economy = more jobs.

Back