• no

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • sometimes

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Yes but never dogs

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont want to have pets eg a dog, in my IP as I beleive that the risk of permanent damage is significant.
However I am then limiting myself to the pool of potential tenants.

I could increase the rent 3% ie $10,
but even then that may not cover odours that linger for months or years.

What condtions should I have in place to avoid my concerns.
Do you allow tenants with pets?
Property is in Adelaide.

If you worry about your IP being damaged then don't rent it out full stop.

This is why there is a bond and inspections done by PM...

If you don't like people with pets then buy an IP in a muslim country, they hate pets over there.

Have a good day :)

I always allow tenants with pets.

Where are these pets supposed to live?

I have had malicous damage over the years, damaged carpets, holes in walls/doors none of these caused by pets!

In fact my pet owners are some of my best tenants.

If you don't like people with pets then buy an IP in a muslim country, they hate pets over there.

I dont worry about damage by people but animals are different.
I like people with pets .....why would you say otherwise?
I have a pet myself and am responsible in looking after that pet.

your post is really weird...........your solution is to invest in Muslim countries.
You havent addressed my question and neither has Karina.

Hi there
another option is to have a clause in your lease that the tenant will be responsible for any damage caused by the pet and perhaps have a bond which reflects this
My experience with IP's is you start by saying no pets - and they introduce one anyway - so you may as well cover yourself from the start.
thanks

Generally, a young child will do far more damage than a dog.

There is the risk of the dog crapping in the house etc, but if you add a pet premium into the rent, then there's no probs, and they won't get their bond back if there is damage anyway.

And if you're worried about the garden damage, then don't have gardens that can be destroyed; a few mature trees and a few shrubs to soften the aspect, but that's about it.

After thought - if it's the smell you're worried about, you PM should be able to pick up on that pretty easily on the first inspection and ensure the tenants rectify that in the future. We've got cats and a dog and the smell doesn't linger if you take care of the place.

90% of our landlords will allow pets in properties. I allow pets in my own properties!

The ones that dont usually don't because of limitations such as strata laws and house being unsuitable.

A Pet clause will protect your interest but will not garantee that nothing will happen.

according to stats in our office, ex-boyfriends damage properties more than pets :) unfortunately we haven't been able to implement an ex-boyfriend clause in our leases ;)

That's a stupid and ignorant generalisation. I lived in a Muslim country for several years and there were plenty of well loved pets.

according to stats in our office, ex-boyfriends damage properties more than pets :) unfortunately we haven't been able to implement an ex-boyfriend clause in our leases ;)

LOL - thats hilarious! Quite a valid point too.

To the topic at hand, i think pets are ok. I mean the tennant should be steam cleaning the carpets when they leave, so the smell and hair issue shouldnt be a problem.... and any residual damagecan be covered with the bond.

Myself, i would even be happy to advertise pets allowed in the house, and add an extra week's rent to the bond to cover the extra potential damage.

I dont want to have pets eg a dog, in my IP as I beleive that the risk of permanent damage is significant.
However I am then limiting myself to the pool of potential tenants.

I could increase the rent 3% ie $10,
but even then that may not cover odours that linger for months or years.

What condtions should I have in place to avoid my concerns.
Do you allow tenants with pets?
Property is in Adelaide.

Hi redsquash

To answer your question , yes I allow pets , but I get my PM to ask about the pets when asking about references (not just about the prospective tenents) , if the pets were ok in the last place , I figure they should be ok in mine.
Also you would hope that with regular inspections , the pet wouldnt do too much damage that the bond wouldnt cover.
Yes there is a risk , but there are risks involved with any new tenant.
For me , so far so good:) (touch wood)

I allow my PM to advertise "pets considered"
One ip tenant had a dog it was a medium dog and it was her company.
I had the PM write into the lease that on vacating the tenant had to provide a receipt from a pro carpet cleaner to say the carpets had been cleaned and deoderised. I also charged a pet bond and got an extra $5 or $10[cant remember] per week rent for their privilige of having a pet.
Lay out solid ground rules in the lease and you cover yourself.
Nowdays l think you are really limiting your tenant pool by not allowing pets.Especially if its a small dwelling. So many single people have a dog or a cat for company. Then you get the 1 parent families who have a dog for security.
In America there is developers specifically designing apartment buildings to be pet friendly because there is so much demand for it.
Tennants with dogs tend to stay a lot longer in one place because they find it difficult to find a place that allows pets. Thats my expirience anyway.
cheers
yadreamin

i make sure all major rooms have tiles - that way they can do what they damn well like and not cause damage.

my pet bond is $300 though, not the poxy $100 most people charge.

Back