• no

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • sometimes

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Yes but never dogs

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i make sure all major rooms have tiles - that way they can do what they damn well like and not cause damage.

my pet bond is $300 though, not the poxy $100 most people charge.

Different rules in QLD, bit of a bummer

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/faq_starting_a_tenancy.cfm?item=109.00

FAQ - Starting a Tenancy

Return to FAQ list Does the Act include provisions for taking pet bonds?
No, the Residential Tenancies Act 1994 does not include provisions for taking for pet bonds.

If a pet bond is taken, it is likely to be considered to be part of the rental bond. Therefore, any money taken as a pet bond must be lodged with the RTA as rental bond.

If a pet bond is taken, lessors/agents need to take care that the total pet bond and rental bond taken does not exceed the maximum rental bond permitted under the Act.

Dave

A pet ...

I ask my PM to limit the number of pets to 1, and make sure there's a carpet cleaning clause and a pest treatment clause.

As with yadreamin, I work on the premise that they'll stay longer as tenants with no pets would be preferred by other landlords.

Cheers

If there was no bond & no insurance, not only would i not allow pets, but i wouldn't even allow tenants. I'd be into storage or something.

But there is bond, there is insurance, there are pm's, all is good!

If it's a property that is suitable for pets (ie not a strata unit), whynot not (double negative?) specify whether pets are allowed or not?

That way, if you get an applicant, or multiple applicants for your property you can then choose on a case by case basis - taking the usual stuff, and whether they have pets - into consideration as a whole.

i send it all to the Bond trust as well - it's not like i just pocket the cash.

it's labelled as a seperate bond and all.

I realise that, but if you have a place for $250/week x 4 = $1000 in bond, you cant charge another $300 on top for pet bond.

Not in QLD, not legally anyway

I will generally allow small pets as long as they live outside.

The problem with dogs outside is that they can dig and damage the lawn
so I won't allow them if the yard is small and the lawn in good condition.

A tenant one day asked for permission to keep a small dog
and as I found out later it transformed to 2 and large size as well.

Also, some tenants are lying.
They can agree to keep the pet outside and next time you knock on their door you get greeted by their dog barking behind the front door.
Once the tenants leave you get greeted by their smell too and some smells can be difficult to get rid off.

Goodluck winning a claim to replace the carpet because the dog smell doesn't go anway.

We allow pets in all of our rentals.
Some we can't allow dogs, because of the mobile home Park rules.
We charge an extra $75-$100 month for a dog/cat in one property.(because it is furnished)
Another property we only charge extra for a dog, but not a cat.

Pets aren't the problem. Children are far worse.

The last tenant had a huge dog. It did chew a bit on the wooden table leg.
The owner did worse damage. He left blood all over our 9 month old mattress and box spring, even with a matress protector on it (top end...must have had a head wound)He stole all of the bedding, including mattress protector,towels, coffee maker.
He left scorch burns in our wooden kitchen table and floor (even though it was no smoking)
He ripped out the smoke alarm.He was an auto mechanic, so there were greasy handprints and grime everywhere.
An absolute mess...and of course behind in his rent.

We'd rent to the dog again, but not him.

As a tenant I have been allowed to have a dog. I would also argue that my dog (german Shepherd) Provides my landlord with the added benefit of free security. Well security that i Pay him for. LOL. You won't be breaking into my house with out some serious thought or lack of intelligence.

As a landlord I allow pets as people with pets are normally, and I stress normally, more happy and reposnsible.

I've recently become a tenant and there are a lot of *idiot* landlords out there who don't like pets in their IP.

Here's a thought... get over it!

People do more damage than pets.

One property manager had the audacity to tell me "Oh, you won't find a property to rent in Sydney if you have a dog". Pfft.

If you're ultra paranoid, ask for a pet bond, ie one weeks extra rent on top of the bond.

Not sure if it is legal in NSW but i was asked for one. But they forgot to ask for it in the end. They have however got me to sign that i will have the place sprayed for fleas when i leave and i must provide a reciept of this. One that would be easy enough to dodgy up and two I know someone that can spray for me cheap if need be. Plus my dog doesn't have fleas. He is well looked after. Bloody local cats have fleas though. Oh and he is not allowed in side.

This is in NSW, not sure about QLD.

Any evidence that you can in NSW for the people here who have NSW rentals?

I searched but could find nothing apart from this snippet
http://www.petnet.com.au/rent/guidelines.html
3. Charge a pet deposit
Most Australian states do not permit the payment of specific 'pet deposits' or 'pet bonds', however in Western Australia an additional pet bond of up to $100 may be charged.

I have sent an email to http://www.tenants.org.au/ for clarification

Dave

I've recently become a tenant and there are a lot of *idiot* landlords out there who don't like pets in their IP.

Here's a thought... get over it!

People do more damage than pets.

One property manager had the audacity to tell me "Oh, you won't find a property to rent in Sydney if you have a dog". Pfft.

If you're ultra paranoid, ask for a pet bond, ie one weeks extra rent on top of the bond.

1What percentage extra do you charge to rent to tenants with pets?

2 What pets have you had?

3 Since more people live in houses than pets I guess statistically you are correct about people causing more damage than pets

4 I dont think I need to .. get over it!

I am trying to determine whats the best way to allow pets but at the same time be assured my property will not have unnecessary wear and tear or damage...............How unreasonable is that?

Boatboy,

In WA, this is what it says about Bonds.....

RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 1987 - SECT 29
29 . Security bonds
(1) A person shall not —

(a) require the payment of, or receive, more than one security bond in relation to any residential tenancy agreement; or

(b) require the payment of, or receive, a security bond of an amount exceeding in the aggregate —

(i) 4 weeks’ rent under the residential tenancy agreement in relation to which it is required or received; and

(ii) where the tenant is permitted to keep any cat or dog on the premises, the amount of $50, or such other amount as is prescribed, to meet the cost of any fumigation of the premises that may be required on the termination of the tenancy.

Penalty: $1 000.

(2) Subsection (1)(b) does not apply in relation to a residential tenancy agreement where —

(a) the weekly rate of rent payable under the agreement exceeds a prescribed amount; or

(b) the premises to which the agreement relates were during the whole of the 3 months immediately preceding the entering into of the agreement the principal private residence of the owner.

.....Section 2(a) is a cracker at the moment, as the "prescribed rate" is currently set at $ 500 p.w.

If you are renting a residential place for over $ 500 p.w., you can ask whatever the hell you what for the Bond.....and we do !! Choice hey bro' !!! :D

Back