No property ownership statement

Hi all,
Apologies if this is not the right forum for my question.

I'm preparing to sell an overseas property from my home country, however to receive an exemption from CGT I need to provide an official statement from my current place of resident that I do not own any other properties.
Anyone know if this kind of certificate exist, and if so how do I get it?
I also wonder if I need this from the federal government or from my state (NSW).

Thanks,
Eran

Indeed a strange requirement, but that is what I need in order to get a CGT exemption.
I guess it's just another way for them to make exemptions difficult, especially for non residents.

No, this is for my previous home country (Israel).
I have a property there that I want to sell and to get a CGT exemption I need to provide this certificate.
No one is Australia requires this.

I see now, Israel wants an official document from Australia that you do not own any other property here. This will enable you to sell the Israel property without CGT.

No one could supply such a statement from the Australian side. Maybe you should contact the Israeli consulate or embassy and ask them what to do as they may have encountered this before.

You could possibly do a name search in each state with the land titles office of each state, and that may suffice?

Thanks Terry.
Problem is that the government needs an official document re property ownership in Australia.
Unfortunately, they couldn't care less if Australia cannot provide me the document. As far as they are concerned, it's my responsibility if I want CGT exemption.
This sucks, but anyone that knows how the Israeli government works would not be surprised.
BTW, this is a new law that went into affect starting this year.

Can't the land title office provide me an official statement? I'll contact them and see if they have any suggestion.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Eran

Thanks Terry.
Problem is that the government needs an official document re property ownership in Australia.
Unfortunately, they couldn't care less if Australia cannot provide me the document. As far as they are concerned, it's my responsibility if I want CGT exemption.
This sucks, but anyone that knows how the Israeli government works would not be surprised.
BTW, this is a new law that went into affect starting this year.

Can't the land title office provide me an official statement? I'll contact them and see if they have any suggestion.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Eran

LTO could possibly provide you with something. But each LTO is state based and could only advise on property holdings in that state - but they may be enough for you

Why dont you get a cheap local solicitor to write up a letter, get it signed by a JP, include a letter from the Land Titles Office (yes, it will be just for Vic, but Israel wont know that) The more official looking papers you can include the better

I was thinking the same: a stat dec- perhaps with some annexures being title searches- witnessed by someone -perhaps a notary public-with a nice official stamp.

Back