northern beaches cairns

Hi Philby

I should also say they are only my personal favourites and I am leaning toward growth not cashflow. From what I've read there is better cashflow in some of the Cairns CBD areas in unit developments. I just figure if you're going to live in that heat why wouldn't you be near the water ? Good luck in your hunting ...

Cheers
TryHard

I have recently been looking in Cairns also and have found the same - that best returns are units in CBD. Reason for not everyone wanting to live by the water is that many people prefer to be couped up inside in sterile environments with no insects, lizzards with aircon etc. Also, the ocean water gets rather 'soupy' (seems to be what the locals call it) and hot in the wet season and actually makes you feel hotter! the freshwater holes are what cools you off and is where people swim in the wet season. These are at Lake Placid/Barron Gorge, Crystal Cascades, Mossman Gorge, Josephine falls to name a few. hope this helps.
Ammo

has anybody bought or looked at Clifton Beach lately? I have a relo who is looking to buy a unit there. I am trying to remember how many unit blocks there are at Clifton - I didn't think there were that many - maybe one or two massive ones and 10-15 small complexes with 10-20 units. Does anyone know? and what kind of prices and returns are you getting if you don't mind sharing please
ellie

Ammo is close to the mark

In the tropics there is a fine line between a "sea breeze" and a "hot, salty wind".

Trust me! If you were having a dinner party (even Northerners know that's after sunset) in a high-rise overlooking the sea, those in the airconditioning would be telling anyone venturing to the balcony "Shut the bloody door!!!!"

A few yrs back I bought the mandatory "home site". (foothills overlooking the city and sea 5k away) By the time I built I knew I was not going to live there but I built what I would live in. ie Airconditioned b/r wing with the living area open and as cool as it can get in the tropics.

As potential investors, aircon will give you the best return on investment of any dollar you spend in the North.

Thommo

thommo is right - hot salty wind!! the beachside suburbs are like hot sauna-y swamps with more mozzies than coastal southerners could imagine. Add the massive biting sandflies and you have

beachside needs aircon.

Further back from the beach you may be able to get away without it if the property is well situated and designed for breezes throughout and with sufficiently extended roofs to sheild from the sun.

i made the mistake many years ago .. buying a 1 br unit from manunda for $110k (1999) actually.

iam predicting this unit would only be worth around $85k,even though its brand new (built in 1999)

has anyone else got any thought on its future prospects .. i know manunda is not a very attactable area.

atm its rented out @ 145pw

cheers,
oz

ps: i am also looking to fly up and look for other properties with + cashflow with my new found knowledge !

Back