Not protcol to divulge address

LOL same story with a lot of agents on realestate.dot.com.dot.au

You click on a house in a suburb you are interested in, then thinking that if you click on "property details" you will get the street address.....but WRONG (renders the cute little map on the site redundant).

The "property details" page contacting the agent for the "spin". So even agents can make the net inefficient.

Speaking of redundancy hopefully a slowdown will make many of the BS agents redundant, probably be a lot of good bargains with the default leases on the "showy" motor vehicles as well ;-)

I think your'e right Superted-- no effort has been required to sell properties
for the last few years, all the Agent had to do was sit in the office and breathe.. Be interesting to see what happens when the market cools off, some wont last long in a competitive selling enviroment I suspect. Yet here vendors are paying a stonking great comission -- for what service I ask wonderingly.

All people want is some basic stuff,like what the house is made from, where it is, body corp, rates ect. Some sites list this but many dont bother. Yet walk into any other retail enviroment and the staff are keen and clued up on
the products they're selling.

Great post,

Myself, I always ask for contact details first, and it is rare the buyer won't pass it on. If you owned a property for sale I will bet my b%^&* you would expect the agent to at least have some details of the buyer. However I don't have time for playing games. I can't wait to give out the address, that way when I do an inspection and take out time from my day I know I'm a chance to get paid. We now prefer to meet clients at the property for legal and insurance reasons in case of a car accident. We do work for the owners and they are the ones who pay us (Not the buyers as previously suggested, they pay the owner) but that doesn't mean we have to treat buyers poorly and use trick tactics to get business, those days are gone and top agents do not treat future clients that way. How can you build an ongoing relationship with someone who is pissed off with you from the start.

At open houses, No contact details No entry, very strict on this one. Has to be this way since Neil went on his bandwagon but I believe it is a good thing. Again only once have I had to refuse someone entry. The Rules of Entry to all opens is displayed before entry to my open houses, since I did this I have never had any problems whatsoever.

David, I have a simple solution regarding your concern with Open Listings, DON'T EXCEPT THEM. We refuse ALL open listings and only take Exclusives, no negotiation on this subject. I have heard all the stories mentioned here and plenty more. Someone mentioned Jenman earlier, just curious how many of these agents are Jenman offices.

Plainsong - your experiences are common within I believe 80% of the industry. It is a disgrace but whilst people think the industry is about houses it will never change. Our industry is about people and the primary skill necessary is not knowledge about property but "People skills". This is what makes our industry unique and why there is so much turnover and poor relationships. You are 100% spot on, salespeople are leaving in droves at the moment and agencies are closing doors and this will be a continuing trend for a little while yet.

I have suggested this before, if you find a great salesperson to deal with, keep using him all the time and refer them to everyone you know. They are few and far between unfortunately.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Glossy post outs

When I was living in Coffs Harbour (88 to 95) it was common to receive a number of letters from "buyers" stating they desperately wanted to live in MY area and had just missed out on buying this address (usually a recent sale).

Interesting as I have at one time plaid with the idea that if I were to do a target buy of an IP and nothing suitable was available in the REA or for what ever reason I didn't wish to go with the local REAs (speaking of unlisted properties - NOT listed properties), then I would do the drive around, pick a couple of properties, further do research and then write a letter to the owner direct.

are you interested in/ or have you considered selling your home?
Then a short note about myself (Hi my name is ..., I love your house..., if you are interested can we meet and see if we can't come to an arrangement. Please call me on ....

I would imagine that this would hone not only my investment strategy/skills but also my negotiation skills. Anyway, I'm yet to reach the position where I can afford to buy another property and then I'll give it a whirl.

Further to the general gist of this post; I would have thought that the bad REAs would be easy pickings for experience investors and great for doing research on! I certainly did that where I live, and then bought from one of the good REAs. I have been trying to build up a rapport with said good agent, but that will take some time.

Back