NT Police

Interesting and I hope you enjoy it. "Palmy" refers to Parmeston - part of the larger Darwin. Recently, Northern Territory Police received an email from a resident through the feedback area on the NTPFES Website titled "Community Policing."

The resident posed the following question;

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

In response a Sergeant from Palmy replied: First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In the Palmerston and rural area we average one cop for every 750 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "general patrols") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing units that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. At any given moment only one-fifth of the 60% general patrols are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 6,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 15,000 or more people a day. Now, your average eight-hour shift runs 28,800 seconds long. This gives a cop two thirds of a second to harass a person, and then only another 1/3 of a second to drink a Paul's Iced Coffee AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.
The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbour is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licences and the like. Its lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding FINS warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

LAWS: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes”. These include the Criminal Code, Summary Offences Act, Traffic Act and a whole bunch of others ... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people. After you read the law, you can just drive around for a while until you find someone violating one of these listed offences and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy.

It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well. We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people. Next time you are in Palmerston give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me." It's one of our favourites. " :cool:

Love it, politically incorrect, some would say. Excellent

Why would it be seen as politically incorrect ?

Haven't seen the original post or whatever it was in response to but I thought it patronised criminals who complain about being harassed for committing crimes ?

Huh, I don't understand what you're saying jaycee?

Deena suggested police response that we have read would be seen as "politically incorrect"

I asked why she would think that police response would be seen as politically incorrect becuse I did not think it was politically incorrect.

I think/thought the police response that we have read was a response to something written by someone else complaining about police harassing people and all the police response said, in a humorous way was "we only harass people breaking the law and they seem to be the only ones complaining about it".

So I see nothing politically incorrect.

Politically incorrect would look somehting like this... This is a supposedly a true story but I think it's too perfect to be true:

"Technical Desk, may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with Word Perfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in Word Perfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type!"

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.

"Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

".......Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

"Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle-it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes-the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power outage."

"A power... A power outage? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

Gee, I said "some" would see it as politically incorrect, not me.

I say that, because it is a truthful account of what the police do, tongue in cheek and with immense humour. Goodey two show people do not like the truth these days, and we must not speak the truth or be seen to victimise the underprivledged, criminals, what ever slant the article or speech is directed to.

Gee, I said "some" would see it as politically incorrect, not me.

I say that, because it is a truthful account of what the police do, tongue in cheek and with immense humour. Goodey two show people do not like the truth these days, and we must not speak the truth or be seen to victimise the underprivledged, criminals, what ever slant the article or speech is directed to.

I think mat & mary understand s what you mean tot say better than you do Deena

:D

Why would it be seen as politically incorrect ?

Haven't seen the original post or whatever it was in response to but I thought it patronised criminals who complain about being harassed for committing crimes ?

Hi jaycee

As per above it was a response to a resident query:D

The resident posed the following question;

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

Back