offer accepted!

Thanks Oz!

One of the guys who had originally applied for the Manager's position asked to have his details kept on file, and to call him if anything ever came up.

At the time he applied, he was working 14-16 hours per day in his current job, which is just crazy; especially with 2 young kids.

So, I took a punt and emailed him to see if the mechanic's job might interest him.

He called back several days later - I thought he had ignored the email, but he was busy with work as usual - and agreed to an interview with myself and the Manager down at the workshop.

This occurred yesterday; we "sold" the position to him; the job benefits and lifestyle etc. He seemed quite keen. Has good knowledge, but not a lot on tyres. More training required there.

He will no doubt be taking a pay cut - but I am offering over the award rates anyway. The attraction for him will be better hours, conditions, good workplace atmosphere etc.

I left him with instructions to have a talk about it with his wife, who is a Childcare Centre worker and can take the kids to school and pick them up, so she can continue her work hours.

I said I'd call him Thursday - tomorrow - to see if he wants the job.

Hopefully he'll take the position; younger, driven, keen to upgrade and extend knowledge - he'll be an asset to the business and had a nice disposition as well.

Last edited:
Hi BayView

I have to say I love your approach to problem solving - no panic (at least not coming through here), using networks you've been building up and thinking outside the box, especially when it comes to staff. Great!!!

Kudos & and please keep us updated on how it's going!!

kaf

Hi BayView

I have to say I love your approach to problem solving - no panic (at least not coming through here), using networks you've been building up and thinking outside the box, especially when it comes to staff. Great!!!

Kudos & and please keep us updated on how it's going!!

kaf

Ah yes; no panic. Bwahahaha. :eek:

Another "oh my god" moment today; should have had the Eftpos machine arrive by last Monday - 8 working days after the application was submitted. Didn't arrive.

So, Tuesday, I go to the local bank branch to enquire, they made a few phone calls and ended up with "if it doesn't arrive by Thursday, let us know".

Didn't arrive by 4.00pm today. So I trot down to the bank (about 80 metres from the workshop) to chase it up. They make a few enquiries and give me a number to call.

An hour later, and several phone transfers, and dropped out calls later, I found out that the application is still in progress, and they have to "verify or decline' the application. What the hell?

So, I now get a little terse with the girl on the phone; "how can you be leaving it until 2 working days before lift-off to 'accept or deny', I'm already a customer of the Bank, I'm gunna have customers wanting to pay me money on Monday morning with no credit card facilities" etc, etc, blah, blah.

She says "hang on a minute", puts me on hold, I'm waiting for the call to drop out again just to add to the fun, but she came back with "application approved and the delivery is set for tomorrow; call us by 11.00am if it's not there". Yay.

But, I'll celebrate at 11.00am when I see it in the workshop on the counter.

No dramas though; we can use the old manual swiper machine and write the details on the credit slips for a day or so.

Also, I left a message with the prospective employee's phone at 10.30am this morning; still no reply. hmmmm. Mind you; it took him over a week to respond to my email, so...

patience, patience....

At least we have got nearly all the stock taking done in the last 2 days - a couple of big sessions for me and the vendor after hours last night and tonight.

ISN'T THIS GREAT??? :D:eek:

Unfortunately, my prospect for the mechanic's job decided not to go for it.

So, update the ad, and see what happens.

On a positive note, the eftpos machine was installed today at 4.30pm. More phone wrestling was required though.

Also, all settlement cheques were issued except stock - stocktake not completed as yet, so I will be handing the cheque directly to the Vendor on Monday or Tuesday for that part. All parties are ok with this.

Vendor ceased trading at close of business today, so Monday morning it's all mine. :)

Settlement occurs at 2.30pm, but he's happy for me to receive all the trade on the day. Very nice of him.

Beddy-bies now; stock taking resumes early today.

Last edited:
Settlement!

Yes Boys and Girls....Settlement has finally occurred at 2.30pm today!

Actually, still one more minor item left to settle - stock. I got a major surprise during stocktake on Sat morning - we have just under 300 tyres in there! I thought there was about 80 or so :eek: No problem; it's all in the expected price level, but sheesh.

Final costings should be done Tuesday, and I'll then hand over the final cheque to the Vendor. He is still with me for one more week of assistance as part of the Contract, and he has been terrific.

My first day of trading was 15 hours, very busy as there is still lots to learn and things to implement, but all in all a good day to open with. Not quite up to daily budget expectations for turnover, but I'm happy. Our job diary is full all this week and up to next Wed after, so it's a nice situation to come into at the start.

Another development has occurred; my newly appointed Manager informed me on Fri right at closing time that he actually would prefer to stay on as a salaried mechanic - which is a pay cut for him - but less responsibility and admin tasks. We had to renegotiate his salary and conditions again, and have come up with a nice arrangement for both of us. Turns out he felt out of his depth somewhat, and feels more comfortable being on the tools and doing his own thing more or less without the added pressure.

This has freed up the Manager's position again :rolleyes:, so I contacted one of the previous applicants for the position on Sat and had a lengthy interview with him tonight at the workshop after closing.

He was very impressive - so much so that I offered him the position at thye conclusion of the interview and left him to think about it until Wednesday. He will discuss it with the wife etc.

It'll be a step up for him in all aspects - more dough than he currently gets, better work hours and job security (he is working with a major Mazda dealer who has laid off several people this year due to the GFC, and their figures still continue to be down apparently, so he is "jumping before being pushed"), shorter commute, me as a boss :D.

Fingers crossed.

Congrats Bayview hope all will go very well from now on.

Hope you don't mind I borrow your threat to update that my hair salons purchase settled last week.
Plan in the next 6 months is to make them as self/fully managed as possible (hence I have mentioned outsourcing even the small book keeping and staff/hr function).
Vision is we could go travel for months and not having to worry about who would "replace" us. If the business cannot achieve this within a year, we probably will sell.
I don't have much experience so may be thinking picks fly here, but will see how it goes in 6-12 months ....
I think either if we are to keep them for a long time or have to sell, making them fully or near fully managed is still a very attractive feature.
Regards,

Congrats Bayview hope all will go very well from now on.

Hope you don't mind I borrow your threat to update that my hair salons purchase settled last week.
Plan in the next 6 months is to make them as self/fully managed as possible (hence I have mentioned outsourcing even the small book keeping and staff/hr function).
Vision is we could go travel for months and not having to worry about who would "replace" us. If the business cannot achieve this within a year, we probably will sell.
I don't have much experience so may be thinking picks fly here, but will see how it goes in 6-12 months ....
I think either if we are to keep them for a long time or have to sell, making them fully or near fully managed is still a very attractive feature.
Regards,

Thanks Steve.

Feel free to use this all for your own benefit - that was always my aim with this thread; to help others get more understanding about whats required and what's ahead of you when you buy a business.

Not that I'm any expert by a long stretch; I have made some mistakes along the way for sure.

Settlement at last!!! Great news, Marc.

This has been a great thread to follow - a great insight into the trials and tribulations - and, hopefully, joys - involved in running one's own business. Hope everything goes smoothly from here!

Any news on your "very impressive" applicant for the Manager's position?

Cheers
Lynn

Settlement at last!!! Great news, Marc.

This has been a great thread to follow - a great insight into the trials and tribulations - and, hopefully, joys - involved in running one's own business. Hope everything goes smoothly from here!

Any news on your "very impressive" applicant for the Manager's position?

Cheers
Lynn

I called him this morning to see if he wanted the job, and he said yes! Had even written the resignation letter!

He will be starting on Aug 24, so we'll have 2 weeks of being a bit short-staffed until then.

As it is we are booked out until next Friday because we've only got two mechanics available, but we'll be fine.

I'm going to be spending time with the previous owner the next two days learning tyre fitting and balancing so I can pitch in and ease the load over the next two weeks. He's only with us for the next two days giving assistance and has been fantastic, so I'll be doing a bit of a crash course.

Even if I just take the wheels off the car and take the tyres off the rims that'll be a huge help time-wise.

It's all good.

Well finally I can give someone advice on something I know lots about...
A little info on what I do I have a mechanical business in weipa with 5 mechanics and ten staff in total I am the R.A.C.Q contracted service provider, Dunlop super dealer, Michelin truck dealer, We do everything that has wheels and a motor. I have been operating for 5 years Well enough about me.

As for a front end for you're business I recomend Autosoft turbo there program is great it lets you track stock and have detailed invoices I use it to create purchase orders that ascoiate to the job so when we enter the invoice for the part it automaticaly adds it to the invoice for that job it also alows you to track orders believe me that is the most useful bit it takes a lot of setting up ie entering stock parts numbers but once they are in the program is excellent.

The best part of the system is the templated job cards for the common cars you service (like a dealership use) it will take long hours to set it all up but once you do it be worth its weight in gold if you want me to email you a example just give me you're address. It will give you control over what the guys do on the vehicles and make the business seem very professional.

Parts supply can be a big issue especially are you getting the best price or not if you could list some of you're suppliers for mechanical parts and maybe some for auto electrical I can give you some pointers and also if you would like to compare you're prices to what I can get some items for I would be happy to help you will be amazed how cheap I can get some parts for.

And wow jumping in with no mechanical experience you have some big balls but obviously you're not adverse to asking questions so if you need any info I would be happy to help.

Cheers Sam

Well finally I can give someone advice on something I know lots about...
A little info on what I do I have a mechanical business in weipa with 5 mechanics and ten staff in total I am the R.A.C.Q contracted service provider, Dunlop super dealer, Michelin truck dealer, We do everything that has wheels and a motor. I have been operating for 5 years Well enough about me.

As for a front end for you're business I recomend Autosoft turbo there program is great it lets you track stock and have detailed invoices I use it to create purchase orders that assciate to the job so when we enter the invoice for the part it automaticaly adds it to the invoice for that job it also alows you to track orders believe me that is the most useful bit it takes a lot of setting up ie entering stock parts numbers but once they are in the program is excellent.

The best part of the system is the templated job cards for the common cars you service (like a dealership use) it will take long hours to set it all up but once you do it be worth its weight in gold if you want me to email you a example just give me you're address. It will give you control over what the guys do on the vehicles and make the business seem very professional.

Parts supply can be a big issue especially are you getting the best price or not if you could list some of you're suppliers for mechanical parts and maybe some for auto electrical I can give you some pointers and also if you would like to compare you're prices to what I can get some items for I would be happy to help you will be amazed how cheap I can get some parts for.

And wow jumping in with no mechanical experience you have some big balls but obviously you're not adverse to asking questions so if you need any info I would be happy to help.

Cheers Sam

Thanks Sam for the valuable input.

The Autosoft turbo program sounds good, I'll send you my email as you suggested for the sample.

I have joined the Capricorn Society, bought the required minimum shares etc, and we are buying as much of the gear we need as we can through their network.

I also have the business and work ute insurance, as well as the eftpos agreement (which offered me a better rate than even my own Bank who are the eftpos provider), phone and internet through their linked participants as well. It is a great set-up as far as I can tell. All the invoices are collected by Capricorn and they send you one statement. Very easy.

The previous owner has been suggesting all the things he's been doing over the years, who to avoid, and who to deal with, etc; Capricorn as well as selected local tyre wholesalers, oils etc.

We are very fortunate to have a large auto spare parts dealership not 5 mins away, who are also linked Capricorn participants. They make several deliveries per day, and we have been using them extensively so far - and racking up the valuable Capricorn points. ;)

Had another very hectic day today, and finally paid the Vendor for his stock, which came in a little under costing expectations, so the cashflow is even better to start off with.

Congratulations Marc. I have been reading this thread with interest as up until December 31 we had our own business. I like to see anyone jumping in and having a go. Good luck with everything.

You are in the honey moon period were you own all the stock sitting there and if the last bloke did'nt run the stock down much you should create a good cashflow to make the first 3-4 months easier remeber any stock you own that is on the floor after now is purely creating money for almost nothing because you have pre bought the stock before you took over its not a big deal but it helps.. then if you re-buy it it won't.

I don't think it is going to happen but don't get caught having capricorn as you're only supplier because if they put you on hold for any reason that can really hurt you're business try and negiotiate acounts directly with outlets it will be a valuable tool later on if you expand and are a little short of cash ;-).

pay great attention to detail on peoples vehicles with the finishing of people will be dubious of a new owner especially since they trusted the guy before.
Get pro active I asses the cars before they enter the workshop ie I jump in the customers car and take it for a drive and asses it as I think the car should drive then note annoying things on the repair to get fixed things to look for that workshops usaully miss is Hand brake adjustment, wiper blades, washer fluid, trims loose, wheel alignment (Don't just assume the factory measurments will make the car drive good take them for a drive and asses if you think it drives right. don't just assume if you set it to specs it will) One thing we do is wash peoples cars I swear sometimes if you just washed there car and put a service sticker on it then people thing you have done it....)
Always use brake clean on a rag to wipe off all the old stickers of the windscreen of vehicles before putting the new ones on and avoid using oily fingers and most of all DON'T FORGET THER SERVICE BOOKS my guys do this all the time because we do a lot of fleet work and they don't have service books... another important thing is check all the lights including interior ones for operation then when the guys in the workshop are finished with the vehicle take it for another drive and check all these things and if there not right take it back to them and get them to address the issues.

I heard you mention they achieved 3 services in 4 hours in one of the post this would make me sus if they are actually doing there job properly a standard service should be around 1.4 hours but most guys should spend 2 especially if they find extras and believe me every car has extras that need doing also I throw in handbrake adjustment on every car we service and light check I think these things are part of the standard service that people expect.

Anyway I hope I didn't ramble two much but I love my cars... cheer sam

Marc, bloody good on you mate. Hadn't checked this thread for some time.

I reckon you have your head screwed on properly so you'll sort any dramas quickly......and I sense you'll create a good work life balance soon enough.

When I think back to how unfulfilled you seemed in the USA a while back, man, you've made things happen.

Chevy, kudos coming your way too.

Back