Olympic Dam may go ahead

BHP keeping options open.

Govt would love them to do it for $$$.

As for chances of it happening. From what ive read it seems like it will happen, one day... It all about making the most $$$ from it, which makes sense.

BHP keeping options open.

Govt would love them to do it for $$$.

As for chances of it happening. From what ive read it seems like it will happen, one day... It all about making the most $$$ from it, which makes sense.

Agreed. I think it's far too shaky ground to buy around there if that's the only reason at the moment. Interesting though - and maybe causing any investors who bought in there speculatively before to hang on to their IPs... not sure if that's wise or not though.

Agreed. I think it's far too shaky ground to buy around there if that's the only reason at the moment. Interesting though - and maybe causing any investors who bought in there speculatively before to hang on to their IPs... not sure if that's wise or not though.

I think if they bought well, cf+ which is the only way I would of considered purchasing, then fine.

Even Whyalla being fairly specky, alot was still cf+

Also thinking that if you choose to invest there, would of known was a fair chance that it wouldnt go ahead.

I think if they bought well, cf+ which is the only way I would of considered purchasing, then fine.

Even Whyalla being fairly specky, alot was still cf+

Also thinking that if you choose to invest there, would of known was a fair chance that it wouldnt go ahead.

True, but I would prefer to direct money elsewhere, then again maybe I'm too low-risk!

If cf+ then shouldn't be a problem to sit and hold for a few years. The SA property market has been subdued for ages though...

The flow on effect is immeasurable when it goes ahead, not if.

We hold property in Adelaide....fortunately on long term lease so can afford to sit it out and wait, but SA desparately needs some industry / mining to give it a boost along.

Poor ol' Santos has been the only horse in town for so long, people have forgotten how to flog a good dead horse.

Jobs already have been slashed left right and centre. Maybe the project going ahead eventually could replace some of the already redundant staff...

BHP aren't keeping options open as such - On announcing the decision to put it on hold they stated that basically as all the majority of the capex is spent at the start of the project (on construction), then this locks in the economics of the mine over its life.

They signalled labour and construction inputs at present are too high and hence are simply waiting for these to normalise - perhaps when other major expansion projects wind down from there respective construction stages. This is not only profit driven, but allows for the mine to be more viable over the long term in the face of market pressures such as competition and pricing.

They learnt a very harsh lesson with the Ravensthorpe nickel mine in WA.

We hold property in Adelaide....fortunately on long term lease so can afford to sit it out and wait, but SA desparately needs some industry / mining to give it a boost along.

Poor ol' Santos has been the only horse in town for so long, people have forgotten how to flog a good dead horse.

Nailed it.You quote what most South Aussies think............................

They.... are....waiting....for...a...change...in.....government....

Olympic Dam will suddenly "become profitable" as soon as we see a new government at the helm. It really is that simple. ;) The current taxation will be repealed such that it can't easily be re-instigated.

All this other "noise".... is just that....noise.....

Good point, but I think investors may lose a bit of puff if it doesn't happen soon? Worth the wait. I'm wondering how many people are going to buy in the meantime.

They.... are....waiting....for...a...change...in.....government....

Olympic Dam will suddenly "become profitable" as soon as we see a new government at the helm. It really is that simple. ;) The current taxation will be repealed such that it can't easily be re-instigated.

All this other "noise".... is just that....noise.....

If they were just waiting for a change of government why would they explicitly say it had nothing to do with government? Especially given BHP has a track record of having a dig at the government.

Are you saying the Liberals have the secret to treating the ore cost effectively? Lowering capex and opex? Increasing the price copper?

What taxation are you referring to? Surely not the MRRT that only applies to coal and iron ore, which are almost the only 2 commodities that AREN'T mined at the Dam.

Cheers,

Aaron

Back