On Line Dating

Hi All
Thought I would throw this out there, on line dating is the norm today, ie RSVP, hell my g/friend met her current partner of 4 years and they are in their forties.

In my single days .... no one would dare consider using match making companies, it would be an embarrassment.

Read a recent study regarding this and surprise surprise.... women lie about their age, and men lie about their jobs/salary..... interesting

Thought it would be fun to get SS views on this, good or bad who cares, lets have fun:)

I remember in the dial up internet days I thought it odd when some of my friends starting meeting people through IRC. I saw it as a sign of failure, what was wrong with meeting people in real life?

Then I got hooked on the internet and IRC and it all made sense.

Yep, it's the norm now. A 4 year old stat is that 1 in 4 married couples met through the net, probably higher now.

I heard one report that relationships last longer with people who have met online. I don't know about the reliability- but it makes some sense.

When people asked how my wife and I met, we would say "through computers" being as are both IT types, and that was all OK.

Now I just say RSVP, no longer taboo at all.

That was 12 years ago.

I used to be on a number of online dating websites when I was single.
The mix of people is just like the mix in real life, some really nice normal people and a few just plain weird ones.
As I'm a vegetarian, I found it quite useful that you could filter by things like that. In the end though, it didn't work out for me long term with any of the girls I met.

I met my girlfriend the conventional way, at a friend's birthday party.

I have profiles on 6 sites.

It's free and it works. Why not... It's a numbers game.

I like it that you can actually find a little bit out about the person before you....

I guess the thing about dating sites is that everyone is out for something (be it the love of their life / a casual fling / some action on the side). So of course everyone is out to "get you into bed" (figuratively speaking) and that can bring out the worst in some people.

As many people know, I met my wife online, but it was not a dating site. We both had an interest in IPs and we first talked in the SS chatroom. So it was never a case of me saying that I looked like George Clooney, and her saying she was the spitting image of Nicole Kidman (which, in my eyes, she is btw) - we were just a couple of people talking property.

I met my husband on lava life 9 years ago. My bro met his now wife on RSVP in the same year.
The most common comment I would get when meeting a guy for the first time was "wow you really look like your photo" like it was a big surprise. Apparently women liked to post glamour shots back then as their profile pics. First guy I met had 10pics on his profile. All of them 10 years and over 20kg ago. Another guy was engaged, another married (not that I knew originally and got out as soon as I worked it out). Interesting times.

I decided to try it out for the first time this year ... so far it has been more of a miss than a hit. I've had a few disappearing acts and last minute cancelled dates.

I've been very honest on my profile with nice real photos of me, I'm a terrible liar so it is just easier for me to tell the truth. It must be the part where I say I'm deaf is what turns them off :(

I'm at the point where I'm ready to give it all up together and just stick to property investing!

Sounds like a shotgun wedding that lasted!

Flying back and forth between Canada and Australia..when between us we have 4 kids, wasn't going to work.

We took a leap of faith...organised our wedding, met 12 days ahead of time, and then Rob and my new stepson (11 yrs at that time) moved back to Canada with me.

SS is responsible for a few couples that I know of, as well as my beautiful 1yr old grandson.:D

Ohhhhh, this is lovely! :)

I haven't had any experience with online dating (my husband and I are highschool sweethearts) but I have met some of my closest friends online - forums like this one/facebook etc. I love the ability to get to know people in this way.

Also makes sense to me, finding a partner online. Originally, many people would meet others at clubs/bars or work. I know lots of people who are over the whole bar scene and have a fairly closed work environment. I think it's awesome.

My wife and I met through good old Myspace about 5 years ago. You could search for people by a number of parameters including eye colour, ethnicity, hair colour, distance from postcode etc. Hey presto I popped up in one of her searches and we just clicked from there. She absolutely hates the story though and I'm banned from telling anyone...luckily this place is semi-anonymous.

Hubby and I met on a dating/friendship/meetup site. I was new to Barcelona and wanted to make English-speaking friends. We started hanging out as friends and 3 weeks later had a drunken pash. The rest is history.

My husband and I originally met on-line 12-13 years ago when it was still very much taboo.

He messaged me through ICQ and I ignored him at first then my account was hacked and the person tried to 'cyber' with everyone that was on-line including my husband. I found out about it later and thought I should redeem myself with him so started chatting with him and he was an alright kinda bloke. We first met in person when I was at schoolies when I saw his band play at surfers. We were friends (in person) for 12 months or so and we both got boyfriends/girlfriends then he was my knight in shining armor and came to the rescue.

I'm on a couple of sites. It used to be much better before I started working FIFO. FIFO really turns people off, though I do understand why.

Back