One of the dirtiest tenants...pics attached

I've always found this hoarding thing puzzling... the way some like to collect mould, faeces, urine and rotten food, as well as 'things', that is :confused:.

I went to another one recently(might post pics later) where a family lived for a shorter period of time (18 months). The collected their body fluids in milk containers and the smell was out of this world.... cleaned up perfect within 3 days and was relet.

Hard to do all that in 3-6 mths. Looks like the PM or LL has been just as slack.

If the unit is in a reasonable location, I'd be inclined to put in a new kitchen, bathroom, and tiles......think I'd water blast it with a good dose of bleach first. You can waste hours cleaning and still not get it back to a respectable condition.

Hopefully the LL won't be as slack from now.

Entire block run down with run down type tenants, one has been "done up" as in new kitchen put on old flooring and a new sink plonked ill fitted in bathroom.

I believe this one is getting "done up" then we will come in and clean after... I told them to not waste money on cleaning stuff they were getting rid of so best to wait then will clean what is left.

I once inspected a property that you had to sign a disclaimer before entering and were given a mask for air borne diseases.

It was a property at Westmead and was a private DOH lease. Thankfully for the owner, the tenant had passed on and he had a chance to reclaim the property.

Naturally you expect some vacant properties or those that have had squatters in (like one we bought last year but subsequently knocked down) to be filthy but some people have no shame when it comes to having basic standards of hygiene.
One townhouse that I recently inspected was being sold by its owners and was in such a disgusting state that I felt like taking a shower immediately afterwards! There was a good inch of ingrained dirt on every surface, every spare bench space was covered in junk, clothes piled high on the bedroom floors rather than in cupboards, shower stalls thick with years-old mould and soap scum, grease in the kitchen like I've never seen and the entire place smelt like a good strong whiff of the garbage truck you get on a hot summers day. I couldn't wait to exit the place, along with the poor REA. It's still on the market (surprise surprise!) with nary an offer in sight. It also doesn't help that the owners are holding out for their price and it looks like they may be doing this for quite some time.... or unless they decide to invest in some good old fashioned cleaning :eek:

I've always found this hoarding thing puzzling... the way some like to collect mould, faeces, urine and rotten food, as well as 'things', that is :confused:.

It is a complex psychological condition / issue etc, so it's not supposed to be easy to understand

Now this is being a little judgemental.
If i could post all the mental pictures I still have (and many years have not erased) of young single women's houses/apartments you would'nt be so glib.

Judgem3ntal to against the bloke ? how ?

The bloke = single and women you've described that lived the same way also = single

Maybe they should all go bowling together

It is a complex psychological condition / issue etc, so it's not supposed to be easy to understand

I was gobsmacked when pay TV had a couple of series a while ago showing the extent of this problem for some people. One show (from memory) was where a family member brought a professional organiser in (Ms Buttegig?) and this was usually for one problem room or area of the house.

The organiser generally had good success, because the people wanted to be helped.

The other show was where people were so badly affected that their lives were at risk from mould, dead rats buried etc. I was particularly touched by this series and, from memory, not one of the people were successfully helped/cured of the illness, even with psychologists and appropriate professionals trying to help.

It was sad and extremely confronting seeing just how this "disease" was ruining the lives of the sufferers and their families. I found myself crying often at the futility and sadness of their situations.

I used to think "just chuck it out" but it is so much more complex than that.

wylie, was that show 'Hoarders'? Wanted to watch it and both times forgot it was on :(.

I know someone that's a hoarder. Her house is a lot messier than those pics but nowhere near as dirty.

I've been trying to work her out for years. This girl's disorganised, seems to have no concept of time (very strange) and appears unconcerned with her living conditions and unreliability. She happily welcomes people into her home.

I think she's chronically depressed even though she outwardly appears happy but I really don't think this is the cause of the hoarding.

It's certainly a strange and interesting condition.

Judgem3ntal to against the bloke ? how ?
The bloke = single and women you've described that lived the same way also = single
Maybe they should all go bowling together

SeaShell seems not surprised that it's a "he" and "single".
This forum is not fit for me to describe what I've seen in residences of single, and groups of women/girls.
But does'nt lead me to make general conclusions.
Bowling? Hit the cockraoch with spit may have be more appropriate.
Double points for every extra one hit.
But hey, maybe she knows cleaning is a chick's job.

One of the worst smells I've encountered was by a single guy in his 30s who was laid off from Centrelink. Smart kind of guy (arts grad from ANU), deep thinker, but obsessive.....

In the 90s, he got addicted to the net like a lot of us. He did Olympic weightlifting and was always researching diet......He got into the paleo diet and got more extreme from there. He was eating raw meat, strong cheeses, and brewing his own cider (cos that's how they did it in the middle ages) :rolleyes:

Then he took in a stray cat that was pregnant, and oversaw the litter. So his place smelt like cat food and cat crap, on top of all the other stuff. Me being a Pritikin and Dean Ornish fan (mostly vegetarian), we didn't see eye to eye on much. In the time I knew this guy, he went downhill mentally.....and he would often invite me in. I stopped going in when I saw blow flies on the meat he was going to eat for dinner, and the state of the toilet.

Weg, that name rings a bell, but not sure. I believe we all can have "shades" of this behaviour. Some people cannot throw a newspaper out without having read it. I know someone who has kept clothing from the 60s forwards. She has four bedrooms, all full of clothing, and seems on her way to having more than a mild problem in other areas too.

I feel claustrophobic in her house. I want to get in and make some room.

Back