One storey or two?

We are in the current process of find a block of land to put a house on. We are looking in the north area, and came across a blocks in Hawkstowe (south morang) apparently these blocks were cheaper because that already had a two storey covenant on them and the area seems to be flooded with first home owners wanting single storey. The land is 600m2 with 16m frontage for 160,000 the dilemma I now have is that is about the same price as a 400m2 14m frontage that we are looking at for the single storey house. Would it be worth moving the budget out a little to accomadate the double storey house because of the cheaper land?

Comes down to what you can afford and what you want

I'm guessing there would be a bit of a difference in construction costs for a single story small enough to fit on a 400sqm block and a double story.

1 storey or 2??

Again comes down to want you want and how much you want to pay. Depending on the flood restriction the block of land has, you may have to lift the lowest "habitable" floor space up above the flood level set out by the council.Which also might mean not having "Habitiable" or living areas on the lowest level of the building. such as bedrooms, kitchens etc. You may need to move land fill in, or have the house on piers.
I would also reccomend paying for a flood survey from the local council which has the demagraphics/ levels and building criteria. Maybe a good couple of hundred dollars.

Education is not a spectators sport!!

Back