Optical illusion

The top and bottom lids are exactly the same colour.

I had to put it into MS paint and copy a bit from one lid to the other before I could believe it.

illusion.jpg

You guys know another term for "optical illusion" is "brain failure".

They demonstrate--clearly--that our brains give us an edited version of reality, rather than a facsimile of it. And there's nothing we can do about it. Knowledge of such illusions is never able to dissolve them.

My favourite of all time is the ames room. Blows my mind *cough* very time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttd0YjXF0no

You guys know another term for "optical illusion" is "brain failure".

They demonstrate--clearly--that our brains give us an edited version of reality, rather than a facsimile of it. And there's nothing we can do about it. Knowledge of such illusions is never able to dissolve them.

Reality is not what the senses perceive but what the mind makes of it.

In other words, the only reality that the mind sees is the one that it creates.

Hence the saying that everything is mind.

Neural associations and pathways give us the ability to see and do things automatically - based on our past history on how we interpret, move and interact with our environment?

I suspect the reason we fail these optical tests has something to do with venturing from the familiar visual patterns we commonly experience.

If funny coloured bags were dangerous or of significance and we had to learn to look out for them we would learn to spot them straight away, as would getting used to funny houses after we've stepped into a few.

Reality is not what the senses perceive but what the mind makes of it.

In other words, the only reality that the mind sees is the one that it creates.

Hence the saying that everything is mind.

Absolutely correct. This fact can have a profound psychological impact when deeply contemplated too.

It's summed up as beautifully as it is eloquently, in the video link in my signature.

I suspect the reason we fail these optical tests has something to do with venturing from the familiar visual patterns we commonly experience.

Yeah. The brain, to process so much, so quickly, works on a lot of assumptions based on past experience rather than deeply analysing every aspect of every input/situation as if anew.

Still looks different to me. To much right brain excersize.

Perception is your reality, regardless of the facts.

Put 2 fingers in the middle - the middle shaded bit is what gives the illusion. The upper and lower edges are the same colour.

The Y-man

Put 2 fingers in the middle - the middle shaded bit is what gives the illusion. The upper and lower edges are the same colour.

The Y-man

Even doing that I still see them as different colours, less pronounced, but still different.

What does that say about my brain? :eek:

Yeah. The brain, to process so much, so quickly, works on a lot of assumptions based on past experience rather than deeply analysing every aspect of every input/situation as if anew.

Yep, but even if you tell your brain to slow down and think carefully, it still can't see it. You give it the correct answer and it still doesn't get it. It keeps banging its head against the wall and knows nothing else. Hopeless really.

Truth is, the mind can't see outside of itself.

The quality of the light reaching the eyes should have made obvious that the two shades of grey are the same. But the mind ignores this fresh info (the unknown) and goes looking for explanations buried in its memory (the known) which is then presented as the real thing.

Which is real, the known or the unknown? The seen or the explained?

And what's reality anyway?

As much as extreme cases of mental illness have helped science understand the psyche of "normal" people, this simple but extreme visual experiment can get us out of our comfort zone and explore the workings of the mind in our day-to-day activities.

Even doing that I still see them as different colours, less pronounced, but still different.

What does that say about my brain? :eek:

Relax, your brain is fine :D.

The whole setup has been designed to trick your brain into explaining and comparing rather than just seeing, from the shaded edges, both horizontal and vertical, to the contrasting backgrounds in different colours/textures.

You need to pick out just a small square in the centre of each lid to realise they're in the same colour. I assume Geoffw did it that way.

Cool. So if I understand it right, we're basically holograms... bundles of information projected in 10D from a 2D real universe that has no gravity... so as to make quantum, Einstein and strings work together?

Suits me fine. Always thought this world has an element of unreality about it :D

Seriously though, it looks like fundamental physics is getting closer to certain Eastern philosophies/religions that see man as a spiritual, immaterial monad (the real being) manifesting and expressing itself in the temporal world.

Back