OTP with a Porsche

If its an investment property the car value is likely to be assessable income.
Congrats you won a Boxster. And a $45K tax debt.

Could have an arguable position on this.
On face value may be an issue though.

Investment related prizes are assessable income. If the property is an IP it might be a poor argument. Its why in Australia you don't see banks raffle cars etc for depositors or borrowers. s26AJ ITAA36

ID 2002/644 provides an interesting contrast. It considers unsolicited awards, prizes etc relating to incurred income. eg a Nobel prize awarded to a scientist. That is a windfall and non-assessable.

ID 2002/101 has been withdrawn as it just stated the law and wasn't a interpretation. That aspect of its withdrawal may explain the clarity of s23AJ. It explains the principles.

Now if the selling RE agent awarded the prize it would be different if they were not acting as agent for the seller in that inducement. ie McGraths Real estate had a prize for a Boxster for ANY buyer of any property in a month for example.

I admit I once owned one. Its a brilliant drive and the very nature of a
boxer engine makes it a light, balanced, powerful and stable drive in and out of corners with responsive braking and stability. (Albeit with highly ablative brake parts) Sure its not a 911 but it wasn't designed to be. Although modelled on one from windscreen forward.

Its not a Toyota, Ford or Holden either.

And yes if it was pink it might look like barbies softtop. (quote : a daughter)

If I was a buyer, I'd prefer to pay $2,500 less for no chance of winning.

Good marketing though. "Free" is a magic word and there are about four trillion new developments in Melb so this is a point of difference...

Back