Our 32 week old unborn baby has serious heart problems.

wow, Jay, what a roller-coaster ride you are on.

The love you have for your new baby is apparant in your words.
Maeve is very lucky to be born into a family with Mum, Dad and 4 siblings to love and support her.

Congratulations on your beautiful new arrival.
I wish you all the best with your precious little girl's health issues over the coming months. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Caroline

Hello All,

As you all would know, Mrs Jay and I had a little baby girl, Maeve. She was born with a serious heart condition, Trilogy of Fallot. She will need a number of operation in the early part of her life and then follow up operation in the coming years. Heart Kids Victoria has been a huge support to us and other families alike and will be over the coming years. And so for this reason, I would like to start fundraising for Heartkids ASAP.

My first fundraising event will be a 24hr bike ride.

The 24hour ride will be on staionary bikes (i.e. exercise bikes) and I would like this event to take place in a very public place, like a shopping centre, to get as much exposure as possible, to raise as much money for Heart Kids as possible :eek:)

My question to you guys is, do you have any contacts for a venue for this ride?

As mentioned, the ride would be in a very public place, we would have 3 bikes, with two people riding at all times, the riders would have an hour on, two hours off. We would have lots of sponsers, heaps of Heartkids signs up, someone collecting donations, someone supporting the riders (food, drinks...etc)

So I am looking for a very public place (undercover or inside) to hold the event, HELP !!!! :eek:)

Cheers,

Jay

Hi,
I'm not so familiar with Melbourne, so can't offer you any suggestions of venues..... but I'm concerned that you are trying to take on too much too quickly.
You still have all the adrenalin rushing through your body from the stress surrounding Maeve's birth. In a few weeks, when that goes, you're going to need to take some time out to rest, and also to take time with the rest of your brood. This journey is going to be a long haul, and I would hate to see you burn yourselves out at such an early stage.
I've done quite a few in my time, and running fundraising events is a huge job, and you really have to decide whether you have time to take on such a big project at the moment.....
Not that I don't think you should do fundraising etc. Just make sure its manageable....maybe try selling chocolates or entertainment books, but to try to organise an event, well its not something I would take with a 3 week old baby , let alone trying to juggle it alongside of operations, 4 other kids, work/ business etc. Please be careful!

cheers
Pen

Hi,
I'm not so familiar with Melbourne, so can't offer you any suggestions of venues..... but I'm concerned that you are trying to take on too much too quickly.
You still have all the adrenalin rushing through your body from the stress surrounding Maeve's birth. In a few weeks, when that goes, you're going to need to take some time out to rest, and also to take time with the rest of your brood. This journey is going to be a long haul, and I would hate to see you burn yourselves out at such an early stage.
I've done quite a few in my time, and running fundraising events is a huge job, and you really have to decide whether you have time to take on such a big project at the moment.....
Not that I don't think you should do fundraising etc. Just make sure its manageable....maybe try selling chocolates or entertainment books, but to try to organise an event, well its not something I would take with a 3 week old baby , let alone trying to juggle it alongside of operations, 4 other kids, work/ business etc. Please be careful!

cheers
Pen

Thanks Penny for your concern, it is very nice :)

I totally understand what you are saying and i have "strpped" back my life to the bare essentials, deferred my diploma, only working enough to cover cost of "running" my beautiful family.

But i still need to do something for myself, fundraising and cycling is my thing :D

cheers

Jay

GG - have you thought about contacting the centre management of your local shopping centre? They would probably let you know what is required to hold such a fundraiser.

So glad to hear Maeve is a fighter.

How about Bunnings stores? They always have those sausage sizzles out the front, maybe you can do the bike thing there?

Or, your local council will have a variety of halls/venues you could possibly use for nix?

I commend you for wanting to get out & fundraise so soon after learning about Maeve's heart. Very positive example for your kids too about getting up & being resiliant & not playing the 'poor me' card...I take my hat off to you squire!

:)

Good luck with the fundraiser. Why not come out to the World 24hr solo championships in Canberra in October? :D Involves mountain bikes rather than stationaries but should be good fun.

Seriously though - are there any fitness or health expo's coming up in your area you could use? If not what demographic are you trying to target with the fundraising (ie who's likely to give dosh) - pick the mall most likely, get a letter from Heartkids endorsing your effort, find the hook for them (ie how are you going to make them look good), and then approach management.

Back