Our new business venture.

Hi folks,

I hope this isn't considered spam! We've been working the last couple of months setting up a new business which we're hoping will keep us entertained over the next few years. In the same vein as other threads on the forum about members' businesses I'm happy to discuss any questions about the approach taken to getting a start-up up and running. Here's a bit about it with a link to our new website:

Launch of www.SpanishHomeCooking.com.au

The website of our new venture, Spanish Home Cooking, is now live at www.spanishhomecooking.com.au.

Spanish Home Cooking is all about helping you create and enjoy authentic home-cooked Spanish food. The emphasis is on home cooking: The kind of dishes you would find in a typical Spanish home or restaurant.

At our cooking lessons you can learn the techniques and recipes passed down through generations of Spanish cooks. Experience an enjoyable evening in a small group taking part in creating and tasting delicious dishes which you will be able to re-create at home. We're just getting started but the October lessons are already booked up!

Our website has info and advice to keep you cooking, including free recipes and instructional videos. We also carry a range of quality cooking products which you can purchase to help you cook authentic Spanish meals.

Go ahead and have a look at what it's all about at www.spanishhomecooking.com.au. You folks are our best critics so if you have an opinion on something please let us know, and if you like what you see tell your friends!

All the best.

Nick and Maria

Spanish Home Cooking
www.spanishhomecooking.com.au
Email: [email protected]

Clicked on "lessons" on home page - took me to
http://www.spanishhomecooking.com.au/courses/courses.html

but only link back to home is a tiny thing down the bottom - should be a frame at top?

The Y-man

Y-man

There should be a link back to home in the Flash banner at the top of the page. This banner should appear the same on every page and provide the same links as the ones at the bottom.

Let me know if you can't see the banner for any reason. (I had someone having trouble viewing the video, and I'm starting to think it's because I've used a recent version of Flash which some visitors may not have).

I appreciate the comments to help me iron out the bugs!

Regards
Nick

Let me know if you can't see the banner for any reason. (I had someone having trouble viewing the video, and I'm starting to think it's because I've used a recent version of Flash which some visitors may not have).

I appreciate the comments to help me iron out the bugs!

Regards
Nick

No can see banner - big white blank section.... (IE7)

The Y-man

Hmm, but you can see the banner on the other pages?

If you can't see the banner on any pages there must be a compatability issue with IE7, I'll have to do some tests tonight. I think the banner calls out flash version=9,0,28,0.

I didn't have anyone say they were missing things during our soft-launch, but then again they might not have realised there should have been a banner.

Cheers
Nick

Hmm, but you can see the banner on the other pages?

If you can't see the banner on any pages there must be a compatability issue with IE7, I'll have to do some tests tonight. I think the banner calls out flash version=9,0,28,0.

I didn't have anyone say they were missing things during our soft-launch, but then again they might not have realised there should have been a banner.

Cheers
Nick

Can't see it in Firefox either.

Good luck with the new venture.

Cheers

PS By the way the problem with using Google ads is that they will promote competing web sites on your pages. I jumped to this page
http://www.senorpaellapans.com.au/?gclid=CPzsucXDmJ0CFZcwpAodZR0J0w

from your page and as you are selling pans would compete directly with what you are offering.

Can see banner on all except lessons and videos page.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Y-man and Handyandy, please try that page again and tell me if you can now see the banner. If not, does it give an error message when you click on the "done (but with errors on page)" in the lower left task bar?

I tested in IE7 in the office and it worked on all except the /courses page. I have reloaded the page onto the server in the hope it was just a coding problem.

Also, can you tell me if you can view the video on the page http://www.spanishhomecooking.com.au/videos/videos.html ?

Cheers
Nick

Can't see it in Firefox either.

Good luck with the new venture.

Cheers

PS By the way the problem with using Google ads is that they will promote competing web sites on your pages. I jumped to this page
http://www.senorpaellapans.com.au/?gclid=CPzsucXDmJ0CFZcwpAodZR0J0w

from your page and as you are selling pans would compete directly with what you are offering.

That's true, although you can block competitive ads. I hadn't seen the ad you mentioned and I reckon it's a bit too close to what we offer (I need to monitor who's advertising on the site). Otherwise, if you take an 'abundance' view of the market, the more sites of similar interest are inter-linked the better.

Nick

Still no go - "Done but with errors".....

The Y-man

ps. Hang on, I am going thru a proxy server so it may be cached?

Last edited:
Y-man and Handyandy, please try that page again and tell me if you can now see the banner. If not, does it give an error message when you click on the "done (but with errors on page)" in the lower left task bar?

No Error messages

I tested in IE7 in the office and it worked on all except the /courses page. I have reloaded the page onto the server in the hope it was just a coding problem.

Also, can you tell me if you can view the video on the page http://www.spanishhomecooking.com.au/videos/videos.html ?

Cheers
Nick

And no video.

Cheers

No banner on the Lessons page for me either and I'm using Firefox and XP Pro. Video plays OK.

Wondered if you wanted the uneven vertical lines mentioned on each page. The left one runs longer than the right. Or maybe that's a style and I'm just being anal 'cos they don't match!

Cheers
Olly

No banner on the Lessons page for me either and I'm using Firefox and XP Pro. Video plays OK.

Wondered if you wanted the uneven vertical lines mentioned on each page. The left one runs longer than the right. Or maybe that's a style and I'm just being anal 'cos they don't match!

Cheers
Olly

Hello Olly you Welsh? (me too)

Thanks for the comments.

I've been trying to fix the banner the past couple of days. The banner should appear on all pages now. I fixed the video yesterday so it makes sense you could see it today.

The vertical lines are supposed to be the same length, you may have seen a version of the page as I was fixing it. I can't get the Google map to work without the page falling over at the moment but will add that in soon.

Thanks everyone for the help. Please let me know if there are any problems still with viewing the banner.

By the way there is a great site at: http://browsershots.org/ which allows you to test a site on all browsers and gives you screenshots of how it looks.

Cheers
Nick

Hello Olly you Welsh? (me too)

The vertical lines are supposed to be the same length, you may have seen a version of the page as I was fixing it. I can't get the Google map to work without the page falling over at the moment but will add that in soon.

Nick

Yes, I'm Welsh (Cardiff) and have a daughter married to a Chilean, so have 'Spanish' food fairly often via my Son In Laws mother, and my daughter has picked up a thing or two from her as well. Yum!

Re: the vertical lines -
It's black on the left and grey on the right (except on the video page).
They're uneven on the Contact page, Video page and only go half way through Lesson 3 on the Lessons page.
Nice, clean, easy to follow site!

Pob lwc (Good Luck) with your new venture!

Olly (Olwyn)

Hi Olly,

I was born in Bangor but I never really lived there. Lots of rellies though. My wife is Spanish.

I fixed the uneven vertical lines on the Contact page. The black and grey lines are a bit puzzling, they should be the same (They are on my browser), which browser are you using? Does it look really bad?

Cheers
Nick

Back