Outsourcing Architectural, Drafting and Research Work.

We have a little 3 bedroom IP on a corner block in Morwell, Victoria that we purchased earlier this year. The yield is fairly good, although not positive cash flow by any means. The main reason for the purchase was the potential to develop the back yard. The weather board house is right up the front of the block, so building a 3 br unit at the back and sub dividing should be fairly plain sailing (I hope). This is the first project of this type that we are attempting.
Anyway, more to the point of this thread. Late last year, yes just a few weeks ago, I contacted several architects / draftsman to get quotes on drawing up both concept plans to submit to council for planning approval along with working drawings for the nominated builder.
Pretty straight forward stuff I would have thought. This unit is not going to be any Taj Mahal! In fact I would have thought that any architect / draftsman would just have to rat through their files to find something that would sit on the block with required boundary offsets, etc. A few hundred bucks maybe.
Not the case, the first quote came in at $5,580.00. This included around $1000.00 of council fees, a soil report and a neighborhood and site description. I must say that I was taken back with this somewhat. A second quote came in at around $1000.00 less for the same work.
I then remembered the Elance and Guru sites that I have used in the past for CAD engineering work. These past projects were non building related.
My initial thoughts were to engage an architect / draftsman that were familiar with the local council planning and building requirements, but then I thought why is necessary? Everything is on line now, research pertaining to local regs is available to anyone anywhere in the world and queries can be forwarded to council departments via email from anywhere in the world.
With these thoughts in mind I put the project requirements up on Guru.com. I stipulated that research would need to be done for the drawings to comply with local and state codes. Obviously it wasn’t just a matter of having someone just slap a few drawings together.
Well, over the ensuing days I received 26 submissions from mostly qualified people wanting to take this project on.
Submissions came from virtually all around the world. There were several from the US, very similar in price to here in AUS., a few from India, one each from Mexico, Pakistan, Hungry, Etheopia, Haiti, Ireland, Malaysia, Greece, Philippines, Macedonia, and Bulgaria.
Choosing someone that’s more than capable out of these submissions is no easy task, but I thought it would be time well spent. As with my other engineering projects I have formed a very good business relationship with a couple of guys that work together in Romania. They are both qualified mechanical engineers and work for me for US$15.00 per hour. They are fantastic.
Guru.com does have a feedback system similar to eBay, but most of my submissions were first timers, which makes it a bit harder.
I find the best way to sift through the applicants is to send emails thanking them for their interest in my project and just confirming the project criteria with them. It then becomes fairly easy to weed out the ones that may not stack up.
My criteria are:-
1. Fast response time to my emails.
2. Good command of the English language.
3. Relevant questions relating to the project.
4. Good portfolio of prior works.
5. Cheap rates.
The cheapest quote I got for the project was the guy from
Ireland. He initially quoted me US$100.00 and said he knew CAD “pretty well” and that he was strapped for cash.
Obviously not a good contender!
Quotes ranged from US$5000.00 from submissions from the US down to US$200.00 from the Philippines and India.
I have shortlisted four contenders ranging in price from US$400.00 down to US$200.00. I’m almost inclined to take all four for the project for a total of US$1200.00. This would ensure I would have the right contacts for the next, possibly bigger project.
Interestingly I met another small developer recently who told me he just spent over AUD$20,000.00 with his architect for doing 3 townhouses in Maidstone. He told me that he is paying AUD$120.00 per hour for amendments, etc.
Needless to say, he is going to Guru.com for future projects.
I’ll keep updates happening on how things pan out, but would also be interested to hear if anyone else has gone down this road.
It seems the world is shrinking due to this great resource of the internet.
Forgot to mention also that the payment methods these sites have set up are very safe. Funds are transferred into escrow and await clearance confirmation once the job is complete.

i think you will get what you pay for,,, how is someone from india or ireland going to know all the local planning rules just by looking at councils website :rolleyes: they obviously have no idea how much work is involved. (sewer& stormwater diagram, site plan, shadow diagrams, floor plan/elevations/specification, consultants reports to name a few)

you will save alot of time by opening your local paper or yellow pages and engaging a local draftsmen or architect who deals with the particular council day in day out..

i think you will get what you pay for,,, how is someone from india or ireland going to know all the local planning rules just by looking at councils website :rolleyes: they obviously have no idea how much work is involved. (sewer& stormwater diagram, site plan, shadow diagrams, floor plan/elevations/specification, consultants reports to name a few)

you will save alot of time by opening your local paper or yellow pages and engaging a local draftsmen or architect who deals with the particular council day in day out..

I agree, saving money is always a good thing.

But when it's something like a house it needs to be done right, you may find they cut corners, or it won't be approved by council.

If i were you i'd be looking into someone local, they will have what you're looking for:
1. Fast response time to emails.
2. Good command of the English language.
3. Relevant questions relating to the project.
4. Good portfolio of prior works.
5. Cheap rates. (maybe not $200-$400 but the extra money will be worth it)

Those from overseas may have all these too, but IMO it's not the same.

Any big ticket items, or projects, i believe need the extra money spent.

Hello sports fan, thanks for your comments, but I most certainly disagree with your opening line. You must realise that we are not comparing apples with apples here. These low quoted figures come from people in countries with a very different economic structure to us (excluding Ireland). Ie. US$15.00 per hour for someone living in Romania is an extremely good income. You seem to be under the impression that someone working for that lower rate isn't capable of performing the task to the required level. This is not true. Some of these people are extremely qualified and very experienced in their areas.The international business environment via the net is truly a win / win scenario. If I was comparing prices here in Aus. I would certainly agree with you. Yes, You do get what you pay for.
I believe anyone qualified and experienced in this field from these countries should be able to adapt to meet our local requirements. Hey, but I could be wrong, but I'm willing to take a punt.

Hello Lil Skater, Thanks also for your comments.

""But when it's something like a house it needs to be done right, you may find they cut corners, or it won't be approved by council.""

This was the primary objective. It was posted as a turn key operative. Ie. no final payment until council approved.

""If i were you i'd be looking into someone local,""
That is exactly were I started.

""Any big ticket items, or projects, i believe need the extra money spent. ""

Yes but "extra money" in a different economic environment is a different story entirely. I have paid the guys in Romania great bonuses in the past for jobs they have done for me in the engineering field. Still cost effective from the Aus. perspective, but also a real incentive for them.
Actually this reminds me of a bit of a story that I might share with you here. Rather funny I thought. Come to think of it i really had a good laugh when I read the email from one of the guys in Romania.
I got to know one of them fairly well through the jobs they did and email exchanges. They were both looking for more mechanical engineering work at the time, so I ended up sourcing some outside work for them from an engineering company here in Victoria.
These guys were so pleased that I got them this ongoing work (at US$15.00 per hour) that they offered me a commission from that work of US$4.00 per hour.
I declined the offer, and told him to buy his wife some flowers instead.
Now this is the funny part- he came back to me and said that he was divorced, but he did have a fat girl friend!!
You had to be there I guess, but I really had a laugh. sorry for rambling...

Actually this reminds me of a bit of a story that I might share with you here. Rather funny I thought. Come to think of it i really had a good laugh when I read the email from one of the guys in Romania.
I got to know one of them fairly well through the jobs they did and email exchanges. They were both looking for more mechanical engineering work at the time, so I ended up sourcing some outside work for them from an engineering company here in Victoria.
These guys were so pleased that I got them this ongoing work (at US$15.00 per hour) that they offered me a commission from that work of US$4.00 per hour.
I declined the offer, and told him to buy his wife some flowers instead.
Now this is the funny part- he came back to me and said that he was divorced, but he did have a fat girl friend!!
You had to be there I guess, but I really had a laugh. sorry for rambling...

Okay, makes much more sense if payment isn't finalised until council approval.

Lol, i love it. Fat girlfriend, how kind.

To be completly honest, I think that you are better off getting someone local.
Firstly for the points mentioned in previously.
Secondly, as great architects/draftys that they may be, I would seriously consider long and hard their understanding of the Australian construction industry. I mean construction methods vary between say WA and VIC.
Houses overseas are built differently to ours here. What good are the working drawings if they are in inches rather than mm. Not many builders, if many will have the time nor energy to decipher and convert all the spans required to mm.
We also have a holiday house in Europe and let me tell you that the construction method is very different to here (concrete walls).
Watch something like Grand Designs or Holmes on Homes to see how different our buildings and construction methods are.

I'm certain that if my other half picked up plans either detailed in inches and construction methods and or outlined materials differ significantly from the norm, he wouldn't do it.
At the end of the day it's your choice as to what you do.
It could turn out well or as cheap as it may be you could be wasting money but moreso time.

Best of luck.

One issue that you may have overlooked is the common requirement for your designer to liaise with the local authorities on your behalf (unless of course you do this yourself) regarding the TPP. In my experience, 30 minutes of quality one on one with the planning authorities is often what it takes to come to an agreement on the issues and thus garner council support prior to the advertising period. There may also be issues in controlling the project through the building stage if design problems are not speedily addressed. Oh, and I really don't want to seem like a dark cloud, but there may also be a requirement for the documentation to be certified by a locally qualified professionals.

I have paid the guys in Romania great bonuses in the past for jobs they have done for me in the engineering field. Still cost effective from the Aus. perspective, but also a real incentive for them.
Hi Karen

Are you working in engineering?
Interesting idea, did they submit samples of their previous work?
Let us know how you go with those you've sort listed

My fear is that their lack of local experience might leave you with an expensive issue to fix.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for. But I do applaud your approach to solving this problem. I have learnt a thing or two from this thread!

My fear is that their lack of local experience might leave you with an expensive issue to fix.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for. But I do applaud your approach to solving this problem. I have learnt a thing or two from this thread!

Ditto, Peter

i bought a prius recently.

needed it's first service. Toyota wanted $1500 - now i know that oil and filters aren't THAT much from working on kingswoods and VW's myself over the years. there was no way i'm gonna pay that.

my initial thoughts were "why so high"? everything is standardised - they use the same program for every car and pay some apprentice to plug it all in anyway.

my local corner mechanic wanted $500 cash. pro's are he's close to me, but con's are he understands alternators "pretty well" and he's strapped for cash - not good!!!!

my cousin doing an apprenticeship down at the tractor service centre said he'll do it for a bottle of 'beam and a date with my sister. so i said okay - deal. how's that for a bargain! a full service for $40!!! i might use a $25 voucher i got for Christmas and it'll only cost me $15 - or 1% of Toyota's price!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

fortunately - i jest.

unfortunately, i don't think you are.

my cousin doing an apprenticeship down at the tractor service centre said he'll do it for a bottle of 'beam and a date with my sister. so i said okay - deal. how's that for a bargain! a full service for $40!!! i might use a $25 voucher i got for Christmas and it'll only cost me $15 - or 1% of Toyota's price!!!

I'll do it for a date with your sister. You can keep the $25 voucher.
Win-Win :)

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback, but gosh, all that negativity and skepticism.
I’m really looking forward to engaging some of these people on this project. I guess it’s a bit like Master Chef where as you give them the ingredients and see what comes out of the pot.
To me it’s more of a journey and a set up for future projects.
Minx:- I appreciate what you’re saying, but as I said earlier, it is in their best interest to do the local research prior to any drafting works. These problems are for them to address.
I’m not an architect by any means, or even a draftsman, but I have drawn up a couple of fairly large houses many years ago. The first one being our owner built family home, and the other being for friends of ours several years later. This was all pre computer days and they were done long hand on the drawing board. Boy, that just reminded me how bad a deal I put together back then. Our friends obviously wanted to return the favour in exchange for the drawings. Rod was somewhat of a motor mechanic and was always playing with cars or motor bikes, so in return for the drawings I suggested that he may like to give our car a service and tune. He was done in 4 hours and I was still at it after 4 days!! I haven’t done another one since!! And that was probably 20 years ago. I even went to the block with the dumpy to shoot levels for the topographicals!
Both went through to approval by council with no problems.
The point I’m trying to make here is that it’s really not that hard and mysterious. Bloody hell, if I could do it back then, then anyone that knows CAD, or whatever the program of the day is now can certainly do it with a little research.
Another part of the council submission requirements is the “Neighbourhood and Site Description and Design Response”. I will be compiling this document, but there is no reason this could not be outsourced also.
It’s all here:-
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/PlanningSchemes/aavpp/55_01.pdf

ChristianB:- “”Oh, and I really don't want to seem like a dark cloud, but there may also be a requirement for the documentation to be certified by a locally qualified professionals.””
I have never heard of this before and it’s something I have never been aware of. Who would need to certify this, and what documents would possibly need it. Understandably soil and any engineering reports pertinent to the site can’t be outsourced and would need to be covered locally. Is this what you are referring to?

BV:- Yes Bill, I am involved in engineering.
“”Interesting idea, did they submit samples of their previous work?””
Yes again Bill. Most of them have portfolios that you can access.
Again I must say that I am really surprised at all the negativity surrounding this type of arrangement. I imagine it must be quite foreign to most people on this forum to outsource work to off shore contractors, but I’m sure over time it will become more accepted.
One other recent project of mine involved the transcribing of a Japanese technical manual into English.
Local translators (from the Yellow Pages here in Vic.) quoted me around AUD$100.00 per A4 page.
I found a guy in Etheiopia that did this for US$7.00 per page and I’m more than happy with the results.

Simon:- “”My fear is that their lack of local experience might leave you with an expensive issue to fix.””
How so Simon? Where is my risk? And for that matter, where is the “expensive issue to fix”?
“”Sometimes you do get what you pay for”” Again, I covered this previously. We are not talking the same economic structure . Cheap rates to us can still be a high monetary gain for them. That phrase is an outdated cliché.
I’m no visionary, but I am sure of one thing. Anything of a digital nature will become world wide. Possibly over time this will help to balance out the poor versus rich nations. Industry is still king, but digital is snapping at their heels.
Sorry, raving on again.

Reactions: BV
i still say regardless of your positive mindset - you're going about it all the wrong way.

how about just try a few more local quotes from your local paper....?

it's all well and good to have a "can-do" attitude, but i wouldn't even be using someone from another state, let alone another country with different Building Codes and different construction methods.

australia's BCA (building codes of australia) is based on the UK's codes - but stricter. australia has some of the toughest construction requirements in the world, and a lot of our codes are shared with NZ. if you're hell bent on "outsourcing", maybe try these countries first.

why are we skeptical? because you're employing someone who has no working idea about the BCA in depth (do they know about little things like a 30% rafter birdmouth maximum? or brick walls over 3m need to be 110mm commons instead of 90mm fastwalls/maxis? or the minimum pad footing size for a stump supporting 900mm SQ of laden floor area?)

the Phillipines for example, they use 250 X 250 conc columns on individual pad footings every 3.0m spacing with conc beams in between - forming a "skeleton" and infill the rest with timber or brick and pour a slurry of conc over the dirt for a floor. they don't understand brick veneer on a structural timber or conc floor.

but hey - you've been warned so caveat emptor. it's your cash - but if you can;t heed the warnings given out then i suggest you try it (...not!) and post your results.

I’m not an architect by any means, or even a draftsman, but I have drawn up a couple of fairly large houses many years ago.
Both went through to approval by council with no problems.

times have changed - welcome to 2010. there's more red tape now than ever. find me an engineer that will sign off on drawings drawn OS.

The point I’m trying to make here is that it’s really not that hard and mysterious. Bloody hell, if I could do it back then, then anyone that knows CAD, or whatever the program of the day is now can certainly do it with a little research.

there's a reason that to become a draftie you need 3 year's TAFE trainign full time now. maybe you should have a look at the size of the BCA.

ChristianB:- “”Oh, and I really don't want to seem like a dark cloud, but there may also be a requirement for the documentation to be certified by a locally qualified professionals.””
I have never heard of this before and it’s something I have never been aware of. Who would need to certify this, and what documents would possibly need it. Understandably soil and any engineering reports pertinent to the site can’t be outsourced and would need to be covered locally. Is this what you are referring to?

don't forget the relevant australian standards cross referenced on your drawings, an engineer certification, energy efficiency forms.....

BV:- Yes Bill, I am involved in engineering.
“”Interesting idea, did they submit samples of their previous work?””
Yes again Bill. Most of them have portfolios that you can access.
Again I must say that I am really surprised at all the negativity surrounding this type of arrangement. I imagine it must be quite foreign to most people on this forum to outsource work to off shore contractors, but I’m sure over time it will become more accepted.

whatever ...... !!!!! :rolleyes:

One other recent project of mine involved the transcribing of a Japanese technical manual into English.
Local translators (from the Yellow Pages here in Vic.) quoted me around AUD$100.00 per A4 page.
I found a guy in Etheiopia that did this for US$7.00 per page and I’m more than happy with the results.

you might be - because you admitted yourself that you're not a professional.

Simon:- “”My fear is that their lack of local experience might leave you with an expensive issue to fix.””
How so Simon? Where is my risk? And for that matter, where is the “expensive issue to fix”?
“”Sometimes you do get what you pay for”” Again, I covered this previously. We are not talking the same economic structure . Cheap rates to us can still be a high monetary gain for them. That phrase is an outdated cliché.
I’m no visionary, but I am sure of one thing. Anything of a digital nature will become world wide. Possibly over time this will help to balance out the poor versus rich nations. Industry is still king, but digital is snapping at their heels.
Sorry, raving on again.

viva la revolution...eh?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't forget plans/working drawings must be signed off by a registered building practitioner.

I doubt someone oseas will be reg by the builders practioners board.

Back