Overflowing gutters - Possible damage?

Hi folks

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with overflowing gutters? The property I rent is surrounded by trees, and regularly needs the gutters cleaned. The gutters must have filled up again, as over the weekend in the torrential rain I've had walls of water coming off from the gutters.

My question is, the PM is sending someone out to clean the gutters but I suggested having someone inspect the roof for any leaks/damage as well. They don't seem to be particularly interested in doing this. I am very concerned about water in the roof as all the wiring is up there and I don't want a fire or any of my belongings damaged by a potential fire, leaks or later, mold.

I'm not physically able to climb up into the roof cavity myself (no thanks to a sprained ankle at the moment) and although I've tried to encourage the PM to discuss this with the owner I don't think it's going to happen. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally that I'd feel comfortable asking as a favour.

I am considering hiring and paying for a roofer myself just for my own piece of mind.

Do you think I should just pay for it myself, or keep trying with the PM?

Gutters are typically profiled to overflow to the exterior when their flow capacity is reached. They should also lower than the ceiling line to prevent backflow into the eaves and ceilings.

Unless there is water damage to the ceiling, cleaning gutters should be all thats needed.

Thanks DaveM. I don't want the owner to fork out money unnecessarily, so will just let the cleaners do their thing and try to be a bit less paranoid! :eek:

Do yourself a favour, when it pours again go have a look at the outlets at the road gutter. Is the water flow from the drainage pipes match the rain fall.

If the outlets are just trickling your drainage pipes are blocked from all the leaves etc and as a result are backing up and most likely flowing back into the property. It still should not flow back into the house but I have seen this on many occassions.

Not to say there are not other leaks but this is worth checking.

Brian

If water is leaking into the roof then you will see water damage to your ceilings. It wont take long for the damage to show.

There are no leaks or drips inside that I can see, I've been checking regularly.

Theres one spot on the soffit in the front porch thats started to discolour since Saturday though. Just a small area near the gutter.

What you described could be water damage, but I would say a minor one. If its been leaking over a lengthy period of time the damage would be more obvious and cover a larger area (I've seen the damage cover about 40cm X depth of soffit).

I usually check for broken tiles and ensure gutter is lower on outside as previously mentioned.

Depending upon the type of fascia gutter that you have eg high fronted, some actually do overflow at the back (although it shouldn't). The result is that water may flow into the eaves linings sometimes over areas like external veranda ceilings may be affected.

NSW Fair Trading (Plumbing) did have a look at the issue of guttering a couple of years ago and discovered a fault in the design of some fascia gutters.

This is the owner's issue but if the PM is getting the gutters cleaned once/twice a year, then it generally will not be an issue.

I have seen quite a few were the back of the gutter is lower than the front.

They rely on the fascia being higher to stop the water flowing in the eaves in a blockage. However if the gutter installer is lazy you sometimes end up with a gap above the downpipe in the eave that is about 50mm lower.

Can stain the eave lining. Worst case you get water runing into the cavity and coming out somewhere.

Hi folks

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with overflowing gutters? The property I rent is surrounded by trees, and regularly needs the gutters cleaned. The gutters must have filled up again, as over the weekend in the torrential rain I've had walls of water coming off from the gutters.

My question is, the PM is sending someone out to clean the gutters but I suggested having someone inspect the roof for any leaks/damage as well. They don't seem to be particularly interested in doing this. I am very concerned about water in the roof as all the wiring is up there and I don't want a fire or any of my belongings damaged by a potential fire, leaks or later, mold.

I'm not physically able to climb up into the roof cavity myself (no thanks to a sprained ankle at the moment) and although I've tried to encourage the PM to discuss this with the owner I don't think it's going to happen. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally that I'd feel comfortable asking as a favour.

I am considering hiring and paying for a roofer myself just for my own piece of mind.

Do you think I should just pay for it myself, or keep trying with the PM?
Check with the Tenancy body in your State to see who is responsible for the maintenance of the property.

If it is you, then either wait for the ankle to get better and go for it, or pay someone.

If it is the Landlord, then what you could do is pay someone to do it, and then send in a cheque for the next month's rent minus the amount equal to the invoice for the cleaning.

The PM won't like that, but you've tried and they've ignored up until now.

OP: "...in the torrential rain I've had walls of water coming off from the gutters"

No problem. In much of Australia residents experience regular downpours of rain. It would be impractical to install large enough gutters and downpipes to cope with all events. The fail-safe is that gutters are designed and installed to overflow. That is not a fault.

Leaves
State governments and Councils are under constant pressure over 'green' issues. Also, homeowners do not appreciate that some native trees, while magnificent in parks and the bush are poor choices for small building lots. Even where the trees in a yard are removed, leaves and twigs carry a distance in wind. With just one gum tree twenty metres away, you and several neighbours could clean your gutters quarterly and still have a few cms depth in gutters between. It only takes a few gum tree twigs which are constantly being dropped to block the gutter above the downpipe.

You can clear before a storm and after one you may have another bulk of gum tree twigs on the roof and in the gutters.

The rent-a-leaf-remover results in most gunk not being removed from the gutters and downpipes (they are quick and cheap). Worse, they do damage roofing through ignorance when walking on it. It has to be a tradesman.

One ladder, one bucket and one hand. Job done.

Bit difficult with a busted ankle Dazz :)

Besides that, the property manager/owner doesn't want me cleaning out guttering or doing anything from a height (such as tree trimming), they've said they hire the professionals who are covered by insurance. It's noted in the lease agreement.

I've heard of a gutter cleaning contraption you can use while standing on the ground but haven't found anything in an internet search yet.

No word from the PM on anyone coming so I've booked someone myself and will just wear the cost. I'd rather pay for it myself and have piece of mind that it's all done.

Bit difficult with a busted ankle Dazz :)

Turn it up. You reckon you've got a sprained ankle at the moment. So what. Leave the job for a few days and then get after it.

The nancy PM is just regurgitating some lawyer fed fear about litigation. There's a thousand and one excuses that will stop any activity stone dead if you take heed of the lawyers who spread fear and risk.

Toughen up sport.....it's cleaning a gutter.

they've said they hire the professionals

Hey ??? There's a profession known as gutter cleaner outerers ?? You're kidding me.

One ladder, one bucket, one hand, 30 minutes. Anything else is a contrived farce.

The world has gone nuts with soft men and softer PMs repeating garbage from super soft lawyers dictating the show with their "fear" and insurance lawyers sitting over everyone making ridiculous rules to avoid claims by other soft men claiming ultra ridiculous amounts that weirdo judges award with flippant ease.

The world's gone nuts.

You can clean the gutters with a blower. Don't lose your balance as you walk along the roof. And don't break any tiles.

You'll do the job in 10 minutes and its sooo easy. Best to do it when the leaves are dry.

Turn it up. You reckon you've got a sprained ankle at the moment. So what. Leave the job for a few days and then get after it.

The nancy PM is just regurgitating some lawyer fed fear about litigation. There's a thousand and one excuses that will stop any activity stone dead if you take heed of the lawyers who spread fear and risk.

Toughen up sport.....it's cleaning a gutter.

Hey ??? There's a profession known as gutter cleaner outerers ?? You're kidding me.

One ladder, one bucket, one hand, 30 minutes. Anything else is a contrived farce.

The world has gone nuts with soft men and softer PMs repeating garbage from super soft lawyers dictating the show with their "fear" and insurance lawyers sitting over everyone making ridiculous rules to avoid claims by other soft men claiming ultra ridiculous amounts that weirdo judges award with flippant ease.

The world's gone nuts.

Dazz this is the best post on the forum! Too true, well done.

Dazz this is the best post on the forum! Too true, well done.

Well done? Seriously? I certainly did not appreciate Dazz telling me to 'toughen up'. There's no need for being rude. I'm an older female with a sprained ankle and I have no ability to climb a ladder now or in the next few days so excuse me if I don't suddenly 'toughen up'.

The situation has now been resolved, thanks to those that did have good advice to offer. A roofer is coming later in the week to fix the leaks and the gutters/downpipes are now all clear and free flowing.

If it is the Landlord, then what you could do is pay someone to do it, and then send in a cheque for the next month's rent minus the amount equal to the invoice for the cleaning.

The PM won't like that, but you've tried and they've ignored up until now.

This is such poor advice. Its already been stated that the gutters are being cleaned twice a year, the tenant has no grounds to withold rent monies for cleaning - all that will potentially happen here is the tenant will end up with constant arrears and a poor payment history.

If the tenant is unhappy with something in this situation he/she should write to the PM voicing their concerns but as others have said there does not appear to be a problem here if there was water in the roof cavity the tenant would know about it - why should the Landlord spend money inspecting the roof for no valid reason?

Well done? Seriously? I certainly did not appreciate Dazz telling me to 'toughen up'. There's no need for being rude. I'm an older female with a sprained ankle and I have no ability to climb a ladder now or in the next few days so excuse me if I don't suddenly 'toughen up'.

Don't worry - he has a particular brand of humour that doesn't transmit well over the internet - although I bet he had no idea you were a lady, and not some big Harley riding due.... :D

The Y-man

The situation has now been resolved, thanks to those that did have good advice to offer. A roofer is coming later in the week to fix the leaks and the gutters/downpipes are now all clear and free flowing.

Speak to them when they are on-site and ask them to check for any signs of damage/overflowing water into the eaves

Back