Paint - best and worst? Where to buy?

Accent Pain 6L at Mitre 10 Easter sale

- $35 for ceiling
- $50 for undercoat
- $57 exterior

I have used the fence paint from Accent before and I've found it soaks up heaps of paint quickly and required 4 coats.

So I'm wondering - has anyone used these paints before and is it a good value product? Are there better products out there for a good price (i.e. trade prices? If so, how do I get my hands on them?)

It is for a QLDer is South East QLD I just bought.

Dulux is the best but also double the cost - so I am not entirely sure what to buy?

James

Weathershield 15L is around $220 not on sale. Dulux interior paints less (around $160/15L from memory). I'd buy that. 2 coats and you're done! It is easy to work with. I have also tried British Paints exterior and it is not nearly as nice to paint with as Dulux, nor does it offer the coverage. IMO, you get what you pay for.

So are there any trade places to get the paints cheaper?
Yes. Look up your local Solver/Wattyl trade center, grab your ABN, go in and set up a cash account. Say something like you're a tradie from interstate who just moved if you have to. The discount is pretty good (here in Darwin I get about 50% off across the board - sometimes 35%, other times 55%, depends)

Wow really that's good...

will look that up!

Thanks OA

Does the discount % depend on supplier or quantity?

I will need paint for 3 houses but in different locations.

Are they franchised or owned by the parent company?

My dad owns a Mitre 10, and is a painter by trade.

He told me that Accent (Mitre 10 home brand) is the same as British Paints - its made in the same factory.

I used it to paint my house recently and had no probs.

Last time I checked (about 4 years ago), British Paints came out of the same factory as Dulux (premium brand). It wasn't quite the same quality but was still reasonable stuff.

Fence paints are generally very cheap and nasty. Working for Bunnings back at Uni I recall one brand about 10% of the price of premium brands. It was fairly thin so it was soaked up on any surface, but on a fence it goes almost nowhere. In some cases it was also known to wash off in water (such as rain).

Fence paint is low quality, litterally the bottom of the barrel. For a lot of people painting fences, that's not an issue. I wouldn't paint my house with it though. I haven't dealt with the Accent brand, but I'd expect the fence paint quality and the interior product will be worlds apart.

I wouldn't buy the cheap paint,even for a fence,

Go into your local solver/Wattyl shop and ask to see the mismatched pallet

(There will be one there somewhere out of sight :D)

Buy the mismatched /damaged Solver Duraguard or 100% acrylic exterior and box them together and you have your color.Make sure you buy enough as it cant be matched again.
I only pay around $50 for 10 litre ($5 litre)

Two coats and your done,if you buy the cheap ****,4 coats and wait for the next rain to wash off or mould.

Hi Painter,

Thanks for the advice

So where is the best place to buy paint in Brisbane? What brand etc...

The internal living space is 140sqm with outside and verandah of 18sqm.

So I need a fair amount of paint. Undercoat, interior, exterior, ceiling.

And floorboards need a polish but not sand - is there a stain I can use?

Maybe its better to spray paint?

Any chance I could use your discounts card?

I have to fly to Brisbane then catch a 2 hr train to my property so can buy in Brisbane and take with me.

James

Hi Painter,

Thanks for the advice

So where is the best place to buy paint in Brisbane? What brand etc...

The internal living space is 140sqm with outside and verandah of 18sqm.

So I need a fair amount of paint. Undercoat, interior, exterior, ceiling.

And floorboards need a polish but not sand - is there a stain I can use?

Maybe its better to spray paint?

Any chance I could use your discounts card?

I have to fly to Brisbane then catch a 2 hr train to my property so can buy in Brisbane and take with me.

James

PM sent

I wouldn't buy the cheap paint,even for a fence
Two coats and your done,if you buy the cheap ****,4 coats and wait for the next rain to wash off or mould.

Totally agree here.

Get a top paint like Dulux Weathershield, 2 coats and you are done. Save lots of time and money (by using less paint comparing to cheaper options, and don't have to buy sealer / undercoat separately).

A problem with cheap paint is that without using proper undercoat / primer / sealer, paint gets soaked in quickly, making it look as if little has been done. That is why people can't finish with 2 coats. Going 4 coats costs time and money (for extra paint).

Dulux Weathershield works on many different surfaces (timber, masonary, metal) making it an ideal one-for-all product for your need. You can paint over the timber fence, then the door latches, hinges, nail ends, concrete bases, metal gates etc without being worried if the paint would peel off.

You can use it to renew your dog kennel, metal letter box and concrete balustrade with the left over paint, too.

Know what I mean?

Cheers

:)

http://www.crockerspaint.com/

We recently used their branded paint 'Krysler' for the interior of our newly renovated place. Easy to work with, seems to be quality, and very cheap. Make sure you purchase it over the internet as the in store price is higher. I would go in there, decide on the paint i wanted and order it over my phones internet while in the store.

For trimmings, like skirting, we didn't get their branded paint, but instead went for Haymes (also purchased from Crockers). A bit more expensive but was a great product.

just wanted a few other opinions,

my painter swears by haymes, saying its the best and cheapest,

the people at haymes think their paint is made from gold!
is there a far cheaper and better/comparable brand?

Can we have an update please.

I'd love to watch someone carrying enough paint and rollers etc to paint an entire house on a train.

How is it going, James?

Pretty good.

What I am now doing is buying the paint in Sydney, my friend driving up to Brisbane with me and my brother to get gutters/tools/roofing supplies/other crap and then driving to Rockhampton and then driving back to Gympie where I will stop for a few days - my friend will go home - then plane home.

Then go to a regional town somewhere in Aust ;) which is my next project - then go to Adelaide, then back to Logan to renovate some more (not my house this time) then possibly if I can win an auction renovate another place after that!!!

So perhaps even more complex than a 2 hour train ride!!!

Determined and crazy - but it should work out in the end!

does anybody know of any shops with cheap in paint in bris and surrounds???

i usually get mine in Syd for about $5 -$6 per L at a few shops mentioned on SS,

however, all I get in QLD are your standard retail shops who charge $8 per L

Looking for about 100L of 3 types

have tried about 8 shops so far and no good

Back