Pro-painter - Painting 101 Help?

@EN710
I recently used Antique White and find it perhaps a fraction too creamy/yellowy for my taste.
I was aiming for a modern apartment look (think Meriton-style), but not sterile. So I aimed just slightly-to-the-yellow of glaring off-white, hoping to avoid a sterile look.
I think I missed the mark a tad.
On hindsight perhaps I would have gone for Whisper White, or even White on White.
Good luck with it! I reckon the big patches of wall/ceiling that you can cover with a roller won't be too hard. It's the corners and edges that need brush work that will hurt your back/knees/neck/wrists....

@EN710
I recently used Antique White and find it perhaps a fraction too creamy/yellowy for my taste.
I was aiming for a modern apartment look (think Meriton-style), but not sterile. So I aimed just slightly-to-the-yellow of glaring off-white, hoping to avoid a sterile look.
I think I missed the mark a tad.
On hindsight perhaps I would have gone for Whisper White, or even White on White.
Good luck with it! I reckon the big patches of wall/ceiling that you can cover with a roller won't be too hard. It's the corners and edges that need brush work that will hurt your back/knees/neck/wrists....

Thank you miss green eyes, I was thinking of Antique White USA (looked at the sample of 1/4 Hog Bristle and it's a bit too creamy for me), might need to look at a couple of different shades :)
I'll book Thai massages after this is done... (or if I can get really cheap good painter instead :rolleyes:)

try the sample pots? $7 each from bunnings.
I didn't, silly me.
Antique White USA has been consistently rated as one of Australia's fav colours for the past few decades.
It's not bad, it's just not exactly what I was aiming for. It is nice and warm, but a bit too 'classic' looking for me. I was aiming for something a bit more contemporary.
Oh well. I'll just have to wait 7 years to do it again in another colour :)

Re roller sleeves, there are better quality ones? Brand? :confused:

You can spend as much as you want, however cheapies will do the job but the pink multi pack style rollers can leave lots of fuzz which dries hard on the wall and looks crap. Either take it off with some tape or spend a little more on better ones. Knocked out 5 ceilings and some hallways today using economy gear, think mine were just 12mm nap monarchs sleeves or similar from bunnings and they worked a treat. Cling wrap them between coats/rooms or overnight if its not too hot to save time washing them, I use the clear tray liners on their own as trays and chuck them after. Tape is a total time burglar unless you using a spray gun. Um that's all I can think of for the minute, got white ceiling blindness!

That is a good tip i forgot wrapping rollers and paint brushes with glad wrap to stop them drying between coats and saves washing them up.

If you wrapped them well and stick in the fridge they can last a few days too, that what i did when painting a whole house.

I wouldn't bother sanding walls and ceiling unless there were any rough patches or you had to fix up (eg. where you've used filler). You need to sand the trim or any areas where gloss paint has been used. Just sand enough to scuff it up so that the new paint sticks to the surface.

All pretty good tips above. I would recommend to use the canvas drop sheets. A bit more expensive than plastic, but at least it will stay well in place and it's not a slip hazard like plastic. I hate plastic sheeting. Go canvas for less hassle.

Also, had a pouring spout lid for the 4 litre cans. It will reduce the drip on your cans as you pour the paint into the paint tray.

On the topic of paint trays. Don't. Do not use trays. Use a specially designed bucket instead. You are less likely to step back into a bucket and have the paint splatter all over the room than a tray. Go bucket.

Thanks guys, my updated wish list for now
View attachment 13066

The unwanted, not on agreement tenant has not left the property unfortunately, so I won't be able to do anything until then :( but will have time to plan :)

Wow! that's a fun wish list :p Interesting to see what it all adds up to when it's all put together. A few things there I've never used which look like they may make life a bit easier e.g. the liquid to make the paint flow easier (first coat of primer is the toughest) and the pole sander (used hand-held sander on my concrete wall) looks sensible.
Don't see the drop sheets there - old sheets and any canvas you can get your hands on are great as mentioned.
Enjoy yourself!

Wow! that's a fun wish list :p Interesting to see what it all adds up to when it's all put together. A few things there I've never used which look like they may make life a bit easier e.g. the liquid to make the paint flow easier (first coat of primer is the toughest) and the pole sander (used hand-held sander on my concrete wall) looks sensible.
Don't see the drop sheets there - old sheets and any canvas you can get your hands on are great as mentioned.
Enjoy yourself!

I have a good roll of plastic drop sheet, got it for free as I have some access to supplier (plus $1-$2 for sanding blocks that usually cost 3-4 times in RRP).

Still have not include potential external paint, can't think of a colour for this one. :eek:
Front.png
Beige with grey tinge and white trim?

The list is still going tad bigger so I'm contemplating whether going for Taubmans that's slightly cheaper or Dulux Wash and Wear. There's Taubmans store 2 station away and might be able to get the Living Proof Silk version.

Thinking about things to buy cheer me up somehow. Totally bummed today as problem occupant in the property padlocked himself inside, PM can't get in to do inspection :(

For interiors, i prefer light colours as it opens up the space.
For exteriors, are dark colours preferred to hide dirt brought in by the elements? I was thinking of grey.
Or do dark colours make houses look smaller as well?

For interiors, i prefer light colours as it opens up the space.
For exteriors, are dark colours preferred to hide dirt brought in by the elements? I was thinking of grey.
Or do dark colours make houses look smaller as well?
Am thinking of lighter grey as the brick is quite orange. Pure grey will look weird no? (Not colour expert here mind ya)

Quick update on colours I choose, decided with something real safe for interior

1. Walls - dulux wash and wear 15L - Whisper White
2. Ceiling - dulux once - just the basic white
3. Trims (to be bought) - Dulux aquanamel - Vivid White
Also got a small 2L 3in1 primer/ undercoat

Exterior - haven't decided, I think I need to go there first and have a look, there's bunnings 10 mins drive from the property if I need to go get one.

For rollers, per tips here I bought the more expensive ones ($10 per nap is the better one right?) 12mm and 9mm naps, might need the small 5mm one for doors.. :eek:

I'm not a pro painter but it's been my designated job every time we renovate so I've painted about 6 houses so far. I'll add my two cents for what it's worth.

The prep is the worst for me but I tend to go all out and fill every imperfection on both ceilings and walls, followed by sanding every inch with a rotary sander (heavy!) and then wash down using sugar soap. I'd wash every time just because the dust generated during sanding settles over everything. Paint sticks better to clean walls.

Primer/undercoat is not necessary unless the surface is raw but I will use it to cover existing darker coloured paint. Undercoat is cheaper than paint and means I need fewer paint coats to cover dark paint jobs.

Rollers - I go with the quality ones every time. Makes a tedious job that much easier. Also good quality cutting in brushes - I hate using masking tape. Time consuming and not all that effective. As the others have mentioned, glad wrap your rollers overnight to save on washing. Paint brushes I usually leave in a bucket of methylated spirits or water (if using water based paint) or turps if oil based.

Hmm. What else? Drop sheets, we've either used existing carpet that's being ripped out or used old curtains etc. Don't like the plastic drop sheets, they always fly up in the breeze as we have our doors/windows all open.

And ceiling paint, we use Dulux, always two coats.

Oh and painting door and window frames is the worst of all. And skirtings! Good luck, looking forward to the photos :)

I'm not a pro painter but it's been my designated job every time we renovate so I've painted about 6 houses so far. I'll add my two cents for what it's worth.
a pro in my definition

The prep is the worst for me but I tend to go all out and fill every imperfection on both ceilings and walls, followed by sanding every inch with a rotary sander (heavy!) and then wash down using sugar soap. I'd wash every time just because the dust generated during sanding settles over everything. Paint sticks better to clean walls.
Yes, will take a long time to do this :-/ do you think 1 weekend with 2 people will get this done?

And ceiling paint, we use Dulux, always two coats.
Just the regular dulux ceiling paint?

Oh and painting door and window frames is the worst of all. And skirtings! Good luck, looking forward to the photos :)
ARGH, I'm thinking of water based enamel, so all skirting etc need to be sanded, washed, primed then painted :eek:

I will take photos, will upload them even if it's just for laugh :eek:

Last edited:
Perhaps we're slow coaches but in one weekend, two people I would expect to just get the prep done. Depends on the size of the house and the condition of the walls. The putty needs to dry before you can sand, helps to have warm weather. Sanding takes time because it's painful! Especially while holding up a heavy sander above your head while standing on a ladder.

Washing is a lot faster, I use an old towel, wet it in the sugar soap solution and wrap around the head of a broom. Use that to wipe ceilings and any part of the wall you can't reach. The rest of the walls I do by hand. Expect a LONG weekend!

Yes we use regular Dulux ceiling paint, have used Tradex as well with good results. Never used any of the one coat stuff or the pink paint that dries white.

You're using the same paint that we use for the trims, Dulux Aquanamel, and yeah that's why I hate trims, sand, wash, prime and paint, it's a lot of work in uncomfortable positions hehe.

Day 1 - Finally access to the place! the house is not broken, but it looks hell old with cockroaches, spiders, bugs and cockroaches schiit. Maybe I'm just too used to city apartments :confused:

Sanding many trims, hate sanding now! For everything else, I kinda skip a couple of steps here and there. The tenant left a lot of items including a big entertainment unit, so about 1 hour gone just to move everything away. Painted the ceiling for 2 rooms, I think my shoulder is broken.... Will know how it looks tomorrow.

Also, this is the pic for the external, I think I need a painter for this. Have no idea what to do. Blue arrows is where I think should be painted - I reckon shouldn't cost too much as I don't paint the entire building? :eek:
Front1.jpg
fronttop1.jpg

Back