Paint Glorious paint!

PaInter, speaking of teflon, do you use the tefton coated brushed/rollers??

I've found the Sureline teflon coated brushes to be awsome, they are fairly pricey, but think they are worth investing it..
No I haven't,I have seen them advertised at Bunnings and one day I will try them but they probably dont have them in 400mm long?

Anyone else care to share their stock standard fail safe colour pallet?

I authorise the Tenant's, at their sole cost and risk, to paint whatever their corporate colour is.....as long as it is done by a professional with insurance cover. I reserve the right to choose the specs of the paint.

We've got orange and black, turquoise green, a heap of reds and whites, purple, a few red and yellows, white and black, white with a hint of red, purple and white, grey, and grey and black. Strangely, no blue.

This is my ppor kitchen
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/beg823lsc0qli95/RkyWCImMDR

Cant quite tell in the photo, but the bench is white with stone fleck in it and the cupboards are dark grey. For this reason I dont really want to paint in grey but the hog bristle and white shades mentioned in this thread would be a bit boring.

What other colours would go with this? The ceilings and cornices were painted white as part of the build (I dont know what shade) so im only painting walls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drb8s3o1cvjm47o/house.jpg This is from the front, was thinking of painting the same colour as the render or would that look silly? The garage door is up in that photo but is about the same colour as my kitchen cupboards.

Bump please :p

dtraeger, why do you want to repaint? Maybe the pic hides blemishes well but it doesn't look marked or anything...? Do you just want a change?

I t could just be the light in the pic, but the render looks quite creamy? While I like the way the two colours look on the outside of the house, I am not a huge fan of creamy colours with grey, especially when you have a white in the mix as well (ie the countertops. I discount ceilings as I believe that all ceilings should be flat white, but that's another discussion. :) )

dtraeger, why do you want to repaint? Maybe the pic hides blemishes well but it doesn't look marked or anything...? Do you just want a change?

I t could just be the light in the pic, but the render looks quite creamy? While I like the way the two colours look on the outside of the house, I am not a huge fan of creamy colours with grey, especially when you have a white in the mix as well (ie the countertops. I discount ceilings as I believe that all ceilings should be flat white, but that's another discussion. :) )

Because its a completely unpainted newly built house. The walls you see are raw plaster.

Aha - here I was thinking it was just a stark white paint! Whoops.

In that case, I say go with a white with a very slight tinge of grey (rather than a slight tinge of yellow/cream). But then I prefer to add features to a room via furniture etc, rather than wall colour, so I am likely never going to offer any very daring ideas. :)

I'm also trying to decide on colours and I'm tossing up between dulux Tuft or Tuabmans Taupe Grey both are greeny greys and would look good in dtraeger's kitchen, matching with greys and whites.

Taupe grey is fairly strong when painted up (I am decicing on colours for my ppor and I did some sample paints). I settled on the slightly lighter Cloudburst.

What about China White? I've got 15 litres of it sitting in the laundry waiting for a rainy day...but now i'm not sure if it's the way to go. I've got a patch of antique white on the wall and I'm worried that it will make the area look too clinical. Ahh first world painting problems.

What about China White? I've got 15 litres of it sitting in the laundry waiting for a rainy day...but now i'm not sure if it's the way to go. I've got a patch of antique white on the wall and I'm worried that it will make the area look too clinical. Ahh first world painting problems.

Ive got test patches of china white and antique white USA up on my PPOR walls at the moment too. I have been dithering for days about which colour and feeling silly for stressing over such a first world problem. Like you, I'm worried the antique white will be too cold looking but the china white looks quite 'beige' to me.

i used antique white USA for my walls and a high gloss white for trim. hog bristle is nice but as other users have said its dated which is true, to me personally everyone is the same cause they are scared of branching out. everyones going the off white walls and white trim. #yawn

The room looks lovely in the photo. The antique white is quite warm looking. Did you just use vivid white (ie. no tint) for the doors, windows and skirting?

Sounds like you could almost be stuck in white paint hell!

I recently painted the interior of my IP. Walls were Taubmans LivingProof Silk tinted to full strength Antique White USA (purchased 20L of that stuff) trims and ceiling were in pure, un-tinted white. Livingproof Silk was really easy to apply, almost therapeutic. Coverage was great - 2 top coats was plenty, after 1 coat of Tradex primer. Used Taubmans acrylic gloss for trims. Bit tricky to apply, but you get the hang of it afterwards.

House was initially a tongue-and-groove pine veneer looking finish with dark hardwood floors. Made the house really dark, but after the painting it brightened everything up and made it way less depressing. For old houses I think Antique white USA works well. I did try a few other shades of white, but some either looked too cold/clinical or had grey undertones etc, which I felt didn't work well with an old house.

This is my ppor kitchen
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/beg823lsc0qli95/RkyWCImMDR

Cant quite tell in the photo, but the bench is white with stone fleck in it and the cupboards are dark grey. For this reason I dont really want to paint in grey but the hog bristle and white shades mentioned in this thread would be a bit boring.

What other colours would go with this? The ceilings and cornices were painted white as part of the build (I dont know what shade) so im only painting walls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drb8s3o1cvjm47o/house.jpg This is from the front, was thinking of painting the same colour as the render or would that look silly? The garage door is up in that photo but is about the same colour as my kitchen cupboards.

As an update to this I went ahead with a painter who has been in there while im at work. I went with antique white usa for majority of my house and Mediterranean blue for master bedroom. Ill update the above pics on the weekend

https://db.tt/TTue5qFn

2 before and 2 after photos in there. Before ones are plain wa plaster. After ones are Mediterranean Dawn (by Solver) in my room and Antique White Usa for remainder of house. (Crap lighting at time of photo sorry, 42 degrees here so was keeping everything shut)

So far I've used Dulux Linseed 50% for walls and Dulux Natural White in gloss for doors/skirtings etc. I like it because it definitely doesn't make the house look "clinical" however I might switch to something lighter as it can be too dark for small or south facing rooms.

I've used Dulux Vivid White for trims before as well but found it too stark. Natural White has a sort of milky tone, very nice.

Attachments

• DSC_8186.jpg
    DSC_8186.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5,292
Back