Paint or varnish windows/wooden internal walls?

The windows and some walls to our new IP are of some kind of raw unpolished wood.

The property manager suggested that a varnish might enhance the colour
but hubby's thinking paint.

We haven't ever done either before so am seeking suggestions from members
who have.

What would be easier ?

Will both entail sanding back etc and 2 coats ?

A picture is attached.

Many thanks
Amelia

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 154
Generally you want to sand before you paint to help the paint stick, and how much sanding depends on the condition of the surface.
If i was going to paint the walls a color, then i'd want to put something smooth over the top like plaster.
I'd also cover those bricks with plaster, i wouldn't want a brick wall above the kitchen sink.
A splashback instead of tiles would be good too.
Are you going to put in a new kitchen, or just dress up this one?

Thanks Vicenzo.

We're having a new kitchen installed that will contrast nicely with the walls.
Painting walls was not on the cards. Just too much work.
Any suggestions how we could do this quicly and inexpensively ?
Plaster the whole wall ..
And will consider splashback inside of tiles.

Hey,
with the brick walls you could do either of two ways eithe a put some strips of timber say 42x 19 pine down the wall glued and screwd using raw plugs the nail your plaster to it or as they do in units they glue the plaster to the brick work. now the the wall paneling surfaces i would just screw the sheets to the wall using plasterboard screws the only thing would be is to make sure that there are no water pipes or power running inside them soo as you are safe and cannot hit them. the plaster would have to be done before measuring up for the kitchen soo as you get the right sizes for it. As your room width will close in a lil bit depending on which way you decide to fix your plaster to the brick wall. Because it is what is known as a wet area i would be putting wet area plaster board in a lil bit more expensive. Even thou it wouldnt be getting that wet i just prefer to do things once. Even if you only did the wall where your sink is would be plenty. also remember not to paint at all where you are going to tile because if in the future the paint started to peel your wall tiles will come off with it. This also means do not under coat the tiling area.
Hope this helps you out any other questions feel free to ask

Cherry Pro I am in a similar situation with the bathroom.
The wooden window ledge gets wet all the time as a result of the shower.I am still deciding whether it would be better to varnish or paint it white with the application of water proof material.
I am not sure what would be cheaper or more effective in preventing the wood from rotting?
I also don't know what it entails, that is sanding, 2 coats of product and making sure water proof material is included?

Attachments

• Lt Malop April 2008 (22).jpg
    Lt Malop April 2008 (22).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Toylux for your helpful tips which hubby will take on board.

Tan, think water proof paint is the way to go. But we're going to try both
out on a small part and take it from there.

The fun in property investing !

Both hubby and I have taken 2 days off next week to get all of this done
and our teenagers have promised to help as well. We're looking to get this
finished and tenanted by weekend of 24/ 25 April.

pretty bad!
Varnish will give you the 1976 look you've always wanted, NOT!
remove the dark dingy look and choose bright cols, ie white, satin finnish, you can roll on a two part epoxy, using a small round foam roller , comes out like they have been sprayed, {practice first}
Choose a stone style tile for the front of the bench, a nice modern glass for the splash back.
Glue new plaster to the brick walls, hold them with screws on blocks of wood, then remove the screws after the glue has set. prime , paint and finnish the little things,

Pine panel??? please!:rolleyes:

Back