Paint powder coated security door?

Hi,

I'm about to redo the front of my PPOR as it was last done 12 years ago and is WAY out of date.

One problem I have is I was going to change the detail colour of the bars and security door (inner Sydney terrace you understand) but the door is powder coated.

Can I paint this and if so, how do I go about it?

Hi Owen,

You can etch prime the door first with something like Wattyl Super Etch and that should do the trick.

I have security doors re powder coated costs about $40 plus the time to take the door to the powder coaters, strip off the lock and screen. Much better finsh and lasts much longer.

regards, Michael Croft

I agree - get a quote on getting the doors re-powder coated. By the time you by the etch primer, enamel, brushes?, turps, etc, it could end up costing as much, as well as your time.

Kevin.

Will be cheaper and quicker to get it powder coated - not to mention a better finish/better rust proctection. If you want it done in a std colour run it will be no probs, just remove the lock and screen (if it isnt metal) and away you go.

The only hard thing will be finding a place with a batch oven to do small runs (none of the big operators will take small jobs)

Thanks everyone. I had thought of getting the door re-coated and do the security bars at the same time. I agree it would look a whole lot better. I rang the company that put in the door for me a while back and asked if they could come and remove door and bars, powder coat and replace them. They said they would get back to me and I never heard from them again. Now I'm thinking about it again so I'll have a ring around and see what I can find out. I'll let you know how I go.

Back