painting an iron roof

Hi all,

I've got an old house in Wallsend that has an old corrugated iron roof which has some sure signs of rust appearing. Instead of replacing the sheets, I thought i would treat the rust patches, re-nail the sheets that are coming up and then repaint the whole roof.

A relatively simple and cost effective job i think. Much better then replacing the whole roof

Any tricks I should know about before embarking on this task? I know that i'll need to use an inhibitor for the rust and first up, remove the rust with a wire brush etc. Also, get a specially shaped brush for the roof for when i am actually painting.

But what about tricks for the can, the roof i want to paint has a steep pitch, so what can i use to hold the paint can for me. Any other tips or tricks for when i am painting and working on the roof?

Echosian

pay $549 on ebay and get a decent bottom range sprayer and spray praint the roof. You can finish it in 1 hour.

pay $549 on ebay and get a decent bottom range sprayer and spray praint the roof. You can finish it in 1 hour.

Yes, agreed....and get a harness so you are hooked onto the roof.

But pick your day. Make sure there's no wind. It can get very expensive for you if you have to pay someone to cut & polish the neighbour's cars and houses that cop any overspray :eek:

just had our roof repainted.

hit with water blaster to remove any debris and powdering old paint. sprayed with rust inhibitor, stick to anything, undercoat. sprayed with top coat.

all done in less than a day (spread over two days to let the water blast dry properly)

Last edited:
Gerni first is the secret to a lasting job,
Why risk your life or mobility for a thousand dollars,
Pay someone else to do it if its steep.:rolleyes:

what is gerni first?
Sorry,
I should say high pressure water blaster :eek:

This gets all the built up grime off the roof and as you do it you will be amazed what comes off.I would never paint a roof without doing this first !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have rainwater tanks installed,make sure you disconnect them before you pressure clean,and leave them off for a couple of showers.

Brush a coat of Penetrol on the rusty spots after cleaning,patch any holes and fix the screw / nails .

I would then hire an airless spraygun from the hire shop,the unit can stay on the ground and the hose will reach on the roof.(Ask for double hoses if it is high set)
around a 517 tip is required,with an extension for the tip so you don't have to bend over as much.

Spray a light coat of 100% acrylic gloss(Dulux Weathershield or Solver Duraguard) over the entire roof.
You can immediately go back to where you started and apply a heavier covering coat.

This should only take a couple of hours so you can take the spraygun back the same day.

"That's if you don't fall off the roof"

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've got an old house in Wallsend that has an old corrugated iron roof which has some sure signs of rust appearing. Instead of replacing the sheets, I thought i would treat the rust patches, re-nail the sheets that are coming up and then repaint the whole roof.

A relatively simple and cost effective job i think. Much better then replacing the whole roof

Any tricks I should know about before embarking on this task? I know that i'll need to use an inhibitor for the rust and first up, remove the rust with a wire brush etc. Also, get a specially shaped brush for the roof for when i am actually painting.

But what about tricks for the can, the roof i want to paint has a steep pitch, so what can i use to hold the paint can for me. Any other tips or tricks for when i am painting and working on the roof?

Echosian

in one of my past lifes i trained as a roof replacement salesperson and was shown that "if you can see rust on the surface of the roof it is almost certain that its coming through from the bottom of the sheet " i have had a few older houses in my time and have found that statement to be correct

We painted our bullnose a few weeks ago, and got the rest of the roof replaced.

We had a sandblaster out anyway to do the walls, he took off the crazy amounts of paint on the roof (apparently the roof was once painted a very bright aqua as well as about 10 other colours) and sold us a tin of "only for industrial use" primer with a picture of an oil rig on the front. It looked like liquid metal, crazy stuff.

Still haven't got around to getting up there and painting it green to match the new roof.

Back