painting bathroom tiles/basin/bathtub

Hi

I have noticed a lot of people recommending to paint over tiles with white knight products or similar.
I shall be attempting this soon and I am aware that Proper surface preparation is needed and a good quality brush etc, but what I am afraid of is the end result actually "looking" painted and cheap.
Also the grout being the same colour as the tiles(I shall be using white paint)-will this look tacky?
Would love to hear from the experts in tile/bath painting.All replies welcome.

dags

Also do a forum search on "white knight"- there's been a few threads over the years (and possibly some pictures).

thanks guys, there sure IS a lot of info, i shoulda done the search first.
Ill also show some before and after pics soon.

dags

dags said:
Also the grout being the same colour as the tiles(I shall be using white paint)-will this look tacky?

dags,
If you are painting with white paint, then the grout looks great being white also - makes it look really clean and fresh.

I have painted bathroom tiles, although I used plain enamel white high gloss paint - got a good result, but I can't say how it lasted, as I have since sold the property.

Cheers

Thanks Dags for this thread.

I am planning doing the same thing. Can you please advise your results if you do apply it.

Hi, Mike. when you sold it, what was the feedback when people saw it?

Many thanks

TheAnalyst said:
Hi, Mike. when you sold it, what was the feedback when people saw it?

When I had open inspections (I sold it privately), I heard some people comment on the nice fresh new tiles - I don't think many people spotted that they had been painted...:D

Cheers

I did a bath in an IP. It was a claw foot one and the enamel had failed. I spent ages on the surface prep - ground it with a grinder etc.
The paint was a 2 pack mix specifically for baths. Fairly toxic during application - wear a decent mask.
The result was pretty good, though it definitely looked like a hand applied finish. Cheaper than getting the bath taken away and re-enamelled.
I'm not sure what the professionally applied on-site finishes are like. I'll use them next time - anything to avoid having to get the bath up the stairs and out of the house.
Scott

all the ones that display wet areas were repainted with tile paint, shower bath, toilet etc.
ignore the front door piccies.
dags

One small tip,

You have to be careful which cleaning products are used on the painted tiles.

Strong ammonia and the like can see the paint scratch off.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

agleave said:
Before using white knight, do you need to sand or do anything to the existing tiles????

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

No grinding or sanding....just give a good clean as you normally would in a bathroom then apply some of the ESP product...don't worry about the White Knight tile cleaner

After that, go for the primer

Then topcoat with the tile paint

Glenn

yeah I used ESP(easy surface prep). Fantastic stuff. Together with the primer you get a really good strong finish.
but look after it for the first few weeks until it cures to maximum strength and as the others have said you should only use non-abrasive cleaners etc, to avoid any damage to the new surface. It is enamel based, but after all its not a glazed tile which can stand harsh cleaning.

depreciator said:
I did a bath in an IP. It was a claw foot one and the enamel had failed. I spent ages on the surface prep - ground it with a grinder etc.
The paint was a 2 pack mix specifically for baths. Fairly toxic during application - wear a decent mask.
The result was pretty good, though it definitely looked like a hand applied finish. Cheaper than getting the bath taken away and re-enamelled.
I'm not sure what the professionally applied on-site finishes are like. I'll use them next time - anything to avoid having to get the bath up the stairs and out of the house.
Scott
WE also just finished our claw foot. It looks much better than before but we decided if it has to done again in a few years to have a professional.
But...it saved about $250, and it looks clean.

Back