Painting costs Melbourne

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what is reasonable for painting costs for an ip apartment. I'm in the process of getting a couple quotes and so far I have received the following:

Bathroom 2 coats dulux including walls, celling and woodwork incl prep, remove nails, filler and sanding $990 inc gst

Lounge area & hallway as per above $1300 inc gst

Or entire apartment, 3 bedrooms, lounge, hall, bathroom $3800 incl gst

Sorry i dont have dimensions but it's a typical lowrise 3 bed apartment in melbourne, the third bedroom smaller like a study and we don't have a separate dining room, just living.

Does this quote sound reasonable?

Thank you

Got time to do it yourself? I picked up two tubs of mistints for my rental, plus painting gear, all up about $200 and a few weekends of (mostly boring) work.

Hi Melb Gal,

I have a friend in Building industry, that could help you.

Im sure he can beat those prices.

You are located West of Melbourne?

Unfortunately no I cant do this myself, however did try and sweet talk my hubby into doing it but he already has enough jobs to do around our place :)

My PM has since obtained a second quote which is much lower so am going to inspect the property this week to double check what areas really need painting.

Thanks again for everyone who has taken the trouble to respond.. much appreciated. :)

Hi everyone,

I have another question with repainting the property. Do you think it is wise to invest in a premium paint like Dulux Wash and Wear or just use a trade paint like Dulux Professionalfor an IP. I thought maybe the premium one might last longer, but at an added cost.

Also if it's just to freshen up existing paint in same colour is one coat sufficient?

I went out to see the property and other than some scuff marks on the walls it's not too bad. One guy thinks one coat should do and the other gave me a quote for 2'coats.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi wveryone,

I have another question with repainting the property. Do you think it is wise to invest in a premium paint like Dulux Wash and Wear or just use a trade paint like Dulux Professionalfor an IP. I thought maybe the premium one might last longer, but at an added cost.

Also if it's just to freshen up existing paint in same colour is one coat sufficient?

I went out to see the property and other than some scuff marks on the walls it's not too bad. One guy thinks one coat should do and the other gave me a quote for 2'coats.

Thanks!!

In your case it might be better to get the really good stuff. Because we do it ourselves and don't mind going into the IP more often, we just put the cheapest stuff we can find (usually Brit Paints or Taubmans). But since labour is your main cost, you wouldn't want to be spending $ getting another coat on when an expensive one might have lasted longer.

We only do one coat - especially if it is similar colours. Different story if you are doing some radical colour changes. Also depends if you are doing oil based.

Scuff marks can be cleaned/sanded. Depends how bad it is and condition of original paint. If you have to sand back / fill big chunks, one coat may not be enough.

The Y-man

Thanks YMan, good advice I think you are right.

I've since decided to focus on the urgent areas to paint i.e. bathroom and leave the living and bedrooms to when the tenants move out or when I plan to sell.

Back