Painting tiles any good?

I have an IP that is a grandma's special and has purple/mov tiles everywhere.Has anyone used tile paint and what did you think of the result? Was is hard work?
Also,has anyone painted kitchen cabinets and replaced the handles,as well as replaced the bench top? Is bunnings ect any good for this?

try solver PSU, see if that works, maybe a cheap option for a sealing cost...if you were close id give some to you, i have plenty left over here from a recent job.....but alas im in the guts of qld.....

I have an IP that is a grandma's special and has purple/mov tiles everywhere.Has anyone used tile paint and what did you think of the result? Was is hard work?
Also,has anyone painted kitchen cabinets and replaced the handles,as well as replaced the bench top? Is bunnings ect any good for this?

Yes, white knight works well. Best results I had was taking the bathroom tiles off, painting them and putting them up in the kitchen. Painting them inplace means you paint over the grout, which looks a little tacky.

Yes, white knight has a laminate painting line too. Haven't used it, but understand it has good results.

Jas

I used White Knight on a student place 5 years ago. Comes up OK but not as good as new tiles.

Was hard work as it is thick enamel paint.

But looks as good as it did 5 years ago after very heavy use.

White Knight laminate paint rocks.

For the minimal cost and time to paint its fantastic. Will never look as good as new tiles but comes up super clean super white and super shiny.

I coated all tiles, laminate doors and dodgy bench top (surface like back of sheet of masonite with small grids of grooves).

Trick is to get the first primer coat on as evenly as possible. The second coat is very thin and dries fast. It will show the imperfections in your base primer coat. That said though, use a fine brush for top coat, get it on quick, go over entire door once only then finish the edges.

I used it on bench tops, figuring if it didn't work/last I'd replace them. I then put 2x coats of clear PolyUrethane over the top, this stuff goes rock hard and takes abuse (I know I live with it) and the PU I used was left over from a industrial shed concrete floor sealing run.

I finished my doors with new silver door knobs, looked so good I did the bathroom too. I've even got WK paint on the floor with PU over the top. I wouldn't do the floor again, too hard to get the floor properly clean, every bit of dust/hair shows up, but again if I'd stuffed it completely I was prepared to re-tile it.

Beware the rest of your kitchen will look ugly once you re-paint/re-doorknob it.

I used White Knight tile paint to paint patterned fibro shower walls. Came up great after careful cleaning. I used a short nap roller as you would use for any gloss - came up like a spray job. I was a little concerned with grime build up and any cleaning but no problem (except where soap drip from holder ate into the paint :( ) I have repaired it and changed soap holder but if it happens again the tenants can bend over to pick the soap up of the floor :D

Yes, another tile painter here, job came up looking good and that was done 2005, saw it couple of months ago, still good.

Replaced kitchen cupboard handles, took cup doors off to repaint and rehang, they were a bit raggedy, some needed new hinges. Replaced new bench tops, had old (not old-old, old-new leftovers)...two pieces that did the job, wasn't a big kitchen.

The new bench tops were marble looking laminate, looks great, maybe you could see if any of the kitchen renovators/Bunnings got any leftover offcut pieces ? I collect stuff that might be handy for little renos.

Oh, and hot water services that are quite good but being replaced for solar units, oh, and timber, old doors being chucked out, beautiful timber just need a little loving sand and paint, door handles, locks, nicks and nacks...left over stuff. Be surprised how handy it all can be.:)

We painted the tiles in our PPOR a few years ago. Also replaced the bench tops as we had brown tiled benchtops!! We had the benchtops custom made for aorund $1500. I haven't been to see how it all looks now as we sold the property but it certainly looked good when I saw it a few years after we did it. Would definitely consider it, especially from the other responses you've received. Very cost effective and worthwhile.

Done it all and wouldn't touch WK paint again for baths (Tub and Tile, it was called) but it's brilliant for splashbacks and kitchen cabinets. Have redone benches over with Granite Transformation- came up a treat and at a fraction of the cost. Happy renovating :)

Urgh tiles ... I think I have the blue version in the bathroom here - blue floral border and tiny blue flowers all over them. They are sorely dated but tolerable.

Decided against tub and tile in the old bathroom after comments from here, so now the bright aqua bath takes pride of place in a room with beige floors, cream walls and white tiles. Maybe the new owners will do what I did and just buy some aqua towels to match. You can make a 'feature' of an aqua bath but not brightly patterned tiles ...

Paint store recommended marine paint for bathroom tiles instead of White Knight. It worked a treat. I did the 2 pack White Knight on the bath only.

The marine paint is the stuff you would recoat a boat hull with whilst on a slipway (have scraped back a boat hull in readiness for this...never got to paint it). Boatboy might have a better idea of the paint I am referring to. It wasn't 2 pack...all out of one can. Quite expensive.

White Knight laminate paint rocks.

I coated all tiles, laminate doors and dodgy bench top (surface like back of sheet of masonite with small grids of grooves).

Trick is to get the first primer coat on as evenly as possible. The second coat is very thin and dries fast. It will show the imperfections in your base primer coat. That said though, use a fine brush for top coat, get it on quick, go over entire door once only then finish the edges.

I am about to do this to my kitchen cupboards. Is a roller ok for the bottom coat? A roller is quicker and smoother I find. Or does a brush have to be used?

I am about to do this to my kitchen cupboards. Is a roller ok for the bottom coat? A roller is quicker and smoother I find. Or does a brush have to be used?

Probably yes, you may need to do an extra layer of the primer coat to what the tin says. Or use a fine brush for all coats.

I experimented a bit knowing the kitchen would be better replaced anyway.

Did the same on normal internal doors. Found the best finish was brush coat sealer or primer then do 3 thin top coats instead of two recommended on tin.

That way sealer/primer is relative substantial for a good seal/prime base on which to do a good topcoat. More thin top coats dies more evenly, faster and neater. IMHO.

Hi there

We did tile paint on tiles in bathroom. As an IP yes, as a PPOR, I wouldn't do it again..it looks what it is - tile painted. I don't really like the look. We did it as a cheap option with a view to a later reno if we didn't like it. Am thinking more and more about that reno!

Yes, it came up clean and white so for an IP yes a good idea bec very cheap. We totally used a roller and it was fine - we were very careful to do it well. But make sure you don't have any dust/open windows or it will all get stuck in the paint when it's wet and show up. Even tiny dust particles. Tile paint isn't smooth like real tiles. Yes, it's pretty smooth, but it doesn't feel great.

We even did the vanity with a tiny roller and it came up well.

The only problem we now have is how to clean the damn stuff - the lower two levels of tiles in the shower are discoloured and it seems no amount of scrubbing, bleach or other will get it white again. Looks bad. The little-used areas however are still fine.

Anyone know how to clean tile paint? Somehow the discolouration seems to have sunk into the paint and stained it. I guess if really worst comes to worst we just paint those lower two rows again.

Good luck.

Done it all and wouldn't touch WK paint again for baths (Tub and Tile, it was called) but it's brilliant for splashbacks and kitchen cabinets. Have redone benches over with Granite Transformation- came up a treat and at a fraction of the cost. Happy renovating :)

Hi Jacque

What is 'Granite Transformation' and where do you get it? Has the benchtop stood test of time re scratches stains etc with it on?

^Yeah, and they just quoted me $3800 to cover the benchtops :eek:. Not exactly the cheap makeover I was looking for. Might try the Bisazza Surface people & see if they're any cheaper.

Back