Permit Question

I obtained a Building permit in June 2008 To erect a Kit garage
Footings got inspected And I erected the shed

Unfortunately I fell into some financial hardship (Basically went bankrupt) and the guttering and stormwater was never finished (couldn't afford for the plumber to return to finish)
The garage is in use unfinished

When the original Permit expired I rang the company I got it through only to be told it will be ok the council just wants your money Pay for a new permit and all will be ok
But I never did

So what should I do now
Someone told me after 3 years every thing is null and void so I wont have to worry about it

I'm also hoping to build a house sometime in the future (distant) as an owner builder
Can this have any long term effect on my plans

We had a similar situation. We built a garage in 2008 (permit issued september). Garage was built and was in use but the storm water was never done. We sold the house in 2011 and got final inspection done by council in November 2011 after finishing up the storm water. We didn't have to pay for a new permit.

I don't know if different councils have different rules though. I would call your local council directly and ask them.

Generally a DA/CC will last 5 years (in NSW) and will lapse. However, if you have commenced work (classified as substantial commencement, not just demolition), often witnessed by having an inspection: eg footings, then the approval doesn't lapse because the council/certifier has opened their book on the project.

Contact council and check it out.

Back