Perth - 3 unit/villa development

Hi Marisa
On what criteria (besides price) do you judge a builder? this is something i have no experience at and wish to know how to choose a good builder.

I was given some recommendations, but at the end of the day you need to go and check out what they are building, their quality etc. Standard of specification in the house.

Lots of leg work/home work. Phone previous clients for referrals.

I can walk into an average spec home/villa and my builders product and I can automatically see the difference. I believe I am getting better value, all the fruit at a better/lower price than what the spec builder is charging, I received 3 quotes from the larger spec builders all higher.

MTR:)

They are looking nice MTR

In so many ways I find it disapointing the Australian culture of MUST having 2x car garage. When you look at floor plans it just takes up soooo much space. :confused:
However, if you design a place without it, you will struggle to sell.

Good looking project.

Blacky

In so many ways I find it disapointing the Australian culture of MUST having 2x car garage. When you look at floor plans it just takes up soooo much space. :confused:

Good looking project.

Blacky

It's not Australia - it's Perth!
My homework on Melbourne says double is not necessary unless really high end. A villa like that will be fine with a single in Melb.

It's not Australia - it's Perth!
My homework on Melbourne says double is not necessary unless really high end. A villa like that will be fine with a single in Melb.

Yes, or even carport depending on area in Melb
Also double brick not required, just another must have in Perth, though I think this is slowly changing.

Good looking project.

Blacky

Thanks, will update as it progresses.

I was given some recommendations, but at the end of the day you need to go and check out what they are building, their quality etc. Standard of specification in the house.

Lots of leg work/home work. Phone previous clients for referrals.

I can walk into an average spec home/villa and my builders product and I can automatically see the difference. I believe I am getting better value, all the fruit at a better/lower price than what the spec builder is charging, I received 3 quotes from the larger spec builders all higher.

Hi Marisa

congratulations on progress its looking pretty good? looking forward to updates on your development.

Yes, or even carport depending on area in Melb
Also double brick not required, just another must have in Perth, though I think this is slowly changing.

i think it's getting worse than ever, personally.

had a classic example of someone wanting a sustainable home - but it had to be double brick. i tried to explain that reverse brick veneer would be better (gidgegannup) but no-no, timber houses are for - wait for it - poor people.

i think it's getting worse than ever, personally.

had a classic example of someone wanting a sustainable home - but it had to be double brick. i tried to explain that reverse brick veneer would be better (gidgegannup) but no-no, timber houses are for - wait for it - poor people.
It will take people like Josh Byrne from Gardening Australia to turn this attitude around. Also cost needs to be thought of in terms of lifecycle cost not initial cost. There is no point building a cheap, energy hungry house if it costs residents thousands of dollars a year in utility costs to live there. I don't think many people would think about this when buying or building a house.

http://joshshouse.com.au/about-the-project/

"The homes will be thermally comfortable year round, without the need for air conditioning or additional heating." He used reverse brick veneer in this project.

Hi MTR,

So what was your builders 'guaranteed' construction time for the 3 units from mobilization? And do they use a standard HIA contract?

I can unequivocally say that anyone paying $510k for a 2 bedder here has far more dollars than sense. What a else ludicrous idea

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-wa-spearwood-116516667?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

This looks pretty good, but for roughly the same price would you rather a 2x2 in this development or a 3x2 down the road with your own double garage ?

I know which I would prefer :)

These are west of Rockingham better location. However, I agree with others expensive.

I believe there have been some amazing sales in the area and surrounding areas, associated with all the hype of Fiona Stanley Centre opening early next year, I think 3000 employees?? Coogee Marina, proximity to Fremantle. I also don't see prices slowing down in the immediate future, there is just way too much demand.

This is my very first post - have only been lurking around previously. Thanks for sharing, this thread is very timely for me as I'm also looking at doing something similar in Perth as I'm planning to move there soon since my other half is already working there.

MTR - just wondering if you are doing this through built strata or survey strata? I noticed that the headwork fees are low compared to QLD. A simple land subdivision from 1 into 2 cost me around $72k with just council contributions itself costing $27k. Just trying to get my head around subdivision costs in Perth.

Hi SLT
Built strata.

I guess every State is different and has its challenges.

About 1 year ago I was looking at buying in QLD and looked at developing 2 blocks, I was gobsmacked at the costs involved as you mentioned much higher than Perth, so I did not go ahead.

Currently I am also developing in Melb, the issue here is when processing plans/permits if there are any objections then you are off to VCAT $6,000 fee and I believe it could be 6 month waiting time:eek: Fortunately no objections.

So far, touch wood, Perth is looking good for developments, perhaps I am still green, we will see at the end of this project. Its only a profit when it sells and at the estimated price.

In Perth we are also spoilt for choice when it comes to builders and very competitive pricing, try this in Sydney and you will be waiting till hell freezes over, can not even get a builder to quote a project.

The issue at the moment in Perth market is trying to secure the development sites at the right price as there is so much demand which has pushed prices through the roof.

At the end of the day have to fall in love with the numbers not the property.

All the best

Hi SLT
Built strata.

I guess every State is different and has its challenges.

About 1 year ago I was looking at buying in QLD and looked at developing 2 blocks, I was gobsmacked at the costs involved as you mentioned much higher than Perth, so I did not go ahead.

Currently I am also developing in Melb, the issue here is when processing plans/permits if there are any objections then you are off to VCAT $6,000 fee and I believe it could be 6 month waiting time:eek: Fortunately no objections.

So far, touch wood, Perth is looking good for developments, perhaps I am still green, we will see at the end of this project. Its only a profit when it sells and at the estimated price.

In Perth we are also spoilt for choice when it comes to builders and very competitive pricing, try this in Sydney and you will be waiting till hell freezes over, can not even get a builder to quote a project.

The issue at the moment in Perth market is trying to secure the development sites at the right price as there is so much demand which has pushed prices through the roof.

At the end of the day have to fall in love with the numbers not the property.

All the best
Thanks for that MTR, good to hear that development costs are less in Perth. I noticed that when people mention headworks in perth they only included water and sewer, gas and power. Do councils there have infrastructure costs such as community purposes, Stormwater and transport? That's currently 13k in brisbane council.

Community/Council contributions was also included in my costings - $8000

The only costings which I have not included is the drafting costs - approx. $5000.

Cheers

Back