Perth Duplex Development

No immediate plan to build a site until there is a demonstrated need to service clients in an automated fashion. At this stage all new home design matches are searched and assessed manually with client contact by email. Simply register your interest online to start the process.

Assuming we went down the duplex path,There aren't many side by side developments in the area, so it could be risky.

That depends on the dimensions of the block. There's nothing risky about providing a block with street frontage - thats how they all started out! If the dimensions mean the block is getting ultra skinny I'd still personally favour this over a battle axe block. There is a good market acceptance for narrow lots, with a few popping up around the Morley/Bayswater area and plenty of builders making this their bead and butter. To maintain a 'nice' streetscape I'd try and keep each lot wider than 11-12m (so the garages don't dominate the streetfront), but that's just my personal taste and civic mindedness - at R25 you could go as narrow as 8m!

That depends on the dimensions of the block. There's nothing risky about providing a block with street frontage - thats how they all started out! If the dimensions mean the block is getting ultra skinny I'd still personally favour this over a battle axe block. There is a good market acceptance for narrow lots, with a few popping up around the Morley/Bayswater area and plenty of builders making this their bead and butter. To maintain a 'nice' streetscape I'd try and keep each lot wider than 11-12m (so the garages don't dominate the streetfront), but that's just my personal taste and civic mindedness - at R25 you could go as narrow as 8m!

Which builders are they? I've just purchased in Bassendean and the existing house is built sideways using about 13 metres at the front, less at the back. When/if the zoning changes to R25 I should be able to create another block with 8m frontage and about 13 at the back of block. At first I was going to build a street front granny flat straight away but seems like a huge waste building 70sqm building on about 400sqm block. Still thinking maybe I should build the granny flat now instead of waiting for zoning changes with potential to add later. I was thinking of maybe mezzanine floor or/ and huge veranda's that can be built in when zoning changes. Ahhh, decisions!

Which builders are they? I've just purchased in Bassendean and the existing house is built sideways using about 13 metres at the front, less at the back. When/if the zoning changes to R25 I should be able to create another block with 8m frontage and about 13 at the back of block. At first I was going to build a street front granny flat straight away but seems like a huge waste building 70sqm building on about 400sqm block. Still thinking maybe I should build the granny flat now instead of waiting for zoning changes with potential to add later. I was thinking of maybe mezzanine floor or/ and huge veranda's that can be built in when zoning changes. Ahhh, decisions!

8m is tough unless its set back more as you can't do a double garage on if it's single storey.
10-12m is doable for a double garage.
Most of the single storey builders have a narrow lot range or cottage block range. Check out EasyStart, Plunkett, Aveling for some ideas but many of them are too large for development blocks.

It would need to be set back. The other option would be leave, (which I've been favoring lately) wait for rezoning and let someone else deal with it. It would have good veiws with double storey house, which I thought could work being setback. I'll scan and send survey to you sometime, tell me what your eye comes up with!

hi guys

first time poster so excuse my ignorance.

we are heading down the path of trying to find a builder to put 3 units on a block in Beckenham. so far i've got a contour survey and geo tech report done. its got alot of clay on the block and ventura have given me some pricing for general works. its quite a bit of money they've quoted for site works.

do you folks recommend ventura? are they honest and fair in pricing?
should i seek another builder's pricing? someone mentioned inspired homes in this thread

what we are after is a builder who charges a fair price, communicates efficiently and is honest does a good job. i'm not after the cheapest deal. any recommendations and comments are welcomed.

cheers
jerry

Last edited:
We have completed 2 projects (although fairly simple - 1 x retain and build at the rear and 1 x demo and 2 standalone homes) with Ventura with no problems at all

Hi CharlieT, I was curios, are the above comments your assumptions or has someone advised you?

Just based on my reading of the current town planning strategy/document. From memory they're refining their document after a period of public consultation. It will then have to go to the planning commission for approval. Given the potential amalgamation, it may be an item that isn't pushed through. A phone call to the council might answer the question, but my impression has been that nothing is changing in the next 12 months.

Would love to hear more about your purchase. We're demolishing ours in Jan. likely to build for ourselves rather than as an investment at this stage, but this could change. We'll build to allow for a future battle axe subdivision.

Just based on my reading of the current town planning strategy/document. From memory they're refining their document after a period of public consultation. It will then have to go to the planning commission for approval. Given the potential amalgamation, it may be an item that isn't pushed through. A phone call to the council might answer the question, but my impression has been that nothing is changing in the next 12 months.

Would love to hear more about your purchase. We're demolishing ours in Jan. likely to build for ourselves rather than as an investment at this stage, but this could change. We'll build to allow for a future battle axe subdivision.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find out more.

Definitely worth building to allow for future subdivision. Will PM purchase.

Can fit a lot of house on a 10x50 lot. Double garage and all...

You can get better money for a pair of streetfront homes but they will be more expensive to build (about 10-12K ea) versus doing a simpler and cheaper home to build on a battleaxe but getting about 10k less in the sale price.

If there is any front - rear slope, a battleaxe lot will be cheaper to retain. But a narrow lot can take a 'zoned' house witht the different levels created in the build.

All food for thought.

Back