Perth Duplex Development

We haven't spoken with cedar, but another builder who builds framed homes. They explained that building brick veneer would save a reasonable amount of costs on site works, but the veneer costs are more expensive than brick. It was explained that a framed home wouldn't be any cheaper as the posts would require a large amount of concrete. It baffles me that this is a standard site in Melbourne and yet its such an issue in Perth!

We haven't spoken with cedar, but another builder who builds framed homes. They explained that building brick veneer would save a reasonable amount of costs on site works, but the veneer costs are more expensive than brick. It was explained that a framed home wouldn't be any cheaper as the posts would require a large amount of concrete. It baffles me that this is a standard site in Melbourne and yet its such an issue in Perth!

this doesnt make sense to me (although ive heard it before too). if youre going to build brick veneer considering doing reverse brick veneer which performs much better thermally

this doesnt make sense to me (although ive heard it before too). if youre going to build brick veneer considering doing reverse brick veneer which performs much better thermally

Oh yeah, i remember speaking with someone a few years back and she was building reverse brick veneer in the avenues in Basso, her architect was also doing reverse brick veneer in South west WA and she mentioned was expensive as double brick. Being from eastern states also where you could dig up clay from garden and make stuff out of it I don't get the fuss or expense either.

One sold for 403k, the other is under offer but was on the market for some time. There's another full size block with house in the street available for offers from 700k. The blocks lookout onto parklands and there aren't too many neighbours around, so its well set up for the narrow blocks and two story build. From memory these blocks may even be in the 100 year flood zone.

Could you please recommend where can I have soil test done in Perth? Tks so much

Structerre appear to be a favourite amongst builders. There are some others out there ....try google using the term 'site classification and As2870' which is the australian standard the test is based upon.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts people might have on soil testing and results in Perth.

Structerre appear to be a favourite amongst builders. There are some others out there ....try google using the term 'site classification and As2870' which is the australian standard the test is based upon.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts people might have on soil testing and results in Perth.

Could you please recommend where can I have soil test done in Perth? Tks so much

Second vote for Structerre. They're everywhere, quick, and cheap.

(I think this is the third time I've plugged them this week for various things. No bias, I promise)

I would recommend delaying the project until the R25 comes through. No doubt that will be sometime away however, you can still be proactive in the interim.

You can engage a surveyor to undertake your initial site survey and preparation of proposed subdivision plan. You can then engage a designer to prepare proposed unit designs in readiness for the zoning change.

Mike

Thanks All.

It's an interesting equation. The is no definitive timeline on the rezone, and the amalgamations could influence the proposed changes. Compounding the uncertainty is the need to then get council approval for missing the average lot size requirement. Given the current holding costs, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and moving on the development. At worst, well break even, and sure we might miss an opportunity but this wasn't initially supposed to be an investment. It will allow us to get on with planning for a new PPOR.

Charlie, What you build will be largely guided by the demand for and completed value of each house and the profit & risk you want to factor in.

In deciding to choose either battleaxe or side by side, you should be guided by the orientation of the block to the midday sun, although in your case it sounds logical to go battle axe to create two square lots.

The value you create as a developer will be determined by what you choose to build to make the most of the site's opportunities, and make it more appealing than whatever your customer has to choose from for the same money.

We have just launched a service to help new home purchasers come to the right decision on which plans will suit their block:

http://signup.freshplans.com.au

Back