Perth Meeting

What is the purpose behind the leg shave? It can't possibly be wind resistance which is the most common theory. There are 1000 things you could do to improve aerodynamics/speed before shaving your legs becomes relevant. So what is the real reason? Is it purely 'aesthetics'?

Without knowing the difinitive origin , practical wise it is to aid in the healing of road graze should you come off. Hair is basically dead skin and when in a wound it can promote infection. Trust me, it is excruciating scrubbing bitumin out of road rash. Mind you, I don't know anyone who goes out of their way to fall off.

Cyclists are seen as shaved leg warriors, but so many sportsmen do it. Runners, swimmers (full body shave down), footballers etc all shave for other advantage such as aerodynamics etc.

Then there are the sportspersons that shave down for aesthetic purposes - bodybuilders etc.

I don't think there is any one reason cyclist shave their legs. I even shave my arms before racing. Psychological placebo I guess. I know when I'm shaved down, I'm ready to race. Part of many cyclist/triathlete/swimmer ritual.

Plus my pins look damn good shaved down! :cool:

pinkboy

Interesting... I actually do ride a bit. Wearing the shorts does actually make a diff to comfort levels (they are padded) and don't cause chaffing. However I always carry a bag with real clothes at the ready, should a public appearance be required.

I would rather be seen Naked than in Lycra. :eek:

Blacky

I have a pair of mountain bike riding shorts which are padded too. Much more friendly on poor unsuspecting Perth than me in lycra shorts.

See you all there :). I'm a little run down, not sure if ill bring along my bike but if I do it will be just a leisurely ride. Hehe but I'm kidding myself, once I get out there I seem to only know one way hehe and push myself to it's limits! Well ok maybe a 20/30 min ride in that case as I can't seem to control myself :D

How do i find you? Im at the cafe but the only larger group isn't somersoft :(

I'm in a black triathlon Tshirt...

----

Edit: gotya :)

How do i find you? Im at the cafe but the only larger group isn't somersoft :(

I'm in a black triathlon Tshirt...

Are you at the Botanical bar? I just had a quick look at who's going - out of the people I know, most are late 20's up to 40. Just look for a good looking bunch and you should find them!! I'm not there - if you PM your number if you are still lost I can try emailing Myf for you!

Great location - I'd never been there before but it was perfect for a lazy lunch except for the sun on one side of the table.

Thanks for lunch everyone!

Back