Perth property listings - under 9,000

Truth be told mining only represents 3% of the total workforce across Australia. So based on a labout market of 11 million that is 330,000 jobs. Lets say that 150,000 in WA. Even if 5,000-10,000 people got laid off in WA in mining it is still not significant.

Sash is that 3% strictly resources sector? Perhaps so, but the flow on effect to the economy here is enormous. From construction to health services all the way down to retail. 3% quickly blows out to a huge figure affected directly or indirectly by mining projects.

Negativity is rife amongst the services sector here, from plant hire to financial planning.

In the end it's about time things settled down here a bit.

I'm actually happy that WA is slowing down it may actually be good for the state to grow in other areas and for the rest of OZ to realize nothing is forever.
I want the old WA back!!! like it was 12-15 years ago
no traffic
no violence
and uncrowded beaches and waves
oh how I miss her

I'm actually happy that WA is slowing down it may actually be good for the state to grow in other areas and for the rest of OZ to realize nothing is forever.
no traffic
no violence
oh how I miss her

OK, I will bite, I miss some things.... like no traffic.

However, I think Perth is becoming a much more vibrant city, about time.

What I assumed 6 months ago was a run in the market could go longer? Combination of relatively low vacancy rates, buy v rent cheaper in 500k & under market plus healthy yields for investors plus population growth augers well for continued price rises.
Heard a comment yesterday that WA is like one big mining company so if that house of cards starts to topple it will be interesting to see what is on the other side?

no traffic
no violence
oh how I miss her

Well, I came to Perth just 5 years ago. Not much traffic compared to today. Things are changing quite fast I reckon. Personally I would love a less crowded Perth. But more people means more houses :)

Ooi! Don't tell all the secrets....;)

You are spot on.......the affordable end is white hit. Most investors pulling out if Perth as they seemed to have believed the mining is stuffed story.

Truth be told mining only represents 3% of the total workforce across Australia. So based on a labout market of 11 million that is 330,000 jobs. Lets say that 150,000 in WA. Even if 5,000-10,000 people got laid off in WA in mining it is still not significant.

What about the construction industry?

Digging the stuff out of the ground isn't the big issue it's the capital (and labour) intensive investment phase that brought the significant population growth and wage increases to wa - not mining per se.

Digging the stuff out of the ground isn't the big issue it's the capital (and labour) intensive investment phase that brought the significant population growth and wage increases to wa - not mining per se.

which projects are you thinking of? the big ones that come to my mind are yet to happen, such as roy hill, hope downs, koodeidre, fraser ranges, the FMG projects, even Oakajee.

then the resources projects such as wheatstone which is starting

There is some impact...but you are taking about the mining industry stabilising. And this stabilised from a very high level.

As for pessimism...probably driven by an election around the corner. The uncertainty on who will govern is the real issue. Once the election is settled...and if the libs win as predicted then you might see a upward trend on the economy from early to mid next year.

Sash is that 3% strictly resources sector? Perhaps so, but the flow on effect to the economy here is enormous. From construction to health services all the way down to retail. 3% quickly blows out to a huge figure affected directly or indirectly by mining projects.

Negativity is rife amongst the services sector here, from plant hire to financial planning.

In the end it's about time things settled down here a bit.

Yes that is true.....but WA is still getting 1500 people pouring in..this also helps the economy.

which projects are you thinking of? the big ones that come to my mind are yet to happen, such as roy hill, hope downs, koodeidre, fraser ranges, the FMG projects, even Oakajee.

then the resources projects such as wheatstone which is starting

If this were the case engineers wouldn't be getting made redundant (and they are)

There's not much work out there for construction workers. There doesn't seem to be too many big projects coming up. I expect resi to pick up a bit.

Well, that didn't last long!

Not to mention a big kick to the groin for anyone selling power to the State - a lesson in when a contract is not a contract - talk about sovereign risk!

Sent an open e-mail off to Barnett, Buswell and Nahan and gave them a spray.

Basically told them to get stuffed with their immoral act and look forward to our household voting en bloc for another party next election and I will be encouraging neighbours on our street with PV systems to do the same.

what happened?

oh I just found it on perthnow - no mention on thewest

any more info?

Looks like that email did the trick! Not to mention a few thousand others... seriously this is exactly what happened in NSW when the same trick was tried - the result is predictable and humiliating - just this time it's in fast forward! Someone clearly only put 2 mins thought into this one - I thought our new Energy Minister had a clue but clearly I was mistaken! What an embarrassment...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/18456332/liberal-rebellion-on-solar-heats-up/

It would really help if our politicians had a clue about their portfolios.

Yay, a win for the little people (waves fist jubilantly in the air). :D

I was hoping for a pay out.

am not sure continuing to pay these over the top rebates for individuals to spike the electricity supply in random locations at a cost of $50m to the taxpayers is that great an outcome? either way the mess has been made and it's hard to undo now

I was hoping for a pay out.

am not sure continuing to pay these over the top rebates for individuals to spike the electricity supply in random locations at a cost of $50m to the taxpayers is that great an outcome? either way the mess has been made and it's hard to undo now

The subsidy was removed awhile ago. These days you get net metering on your consumption and 7c/unit on export, which is probably a bit below what it's worth, notwithstanding a side argument about network charges. Still didn't stop the market doubling last year (again). People want to get off the electricity price increase merry go round... and solar systems are cheap these days. It won't be much longer (10 years?) and disconnecting entirely with batteries etc will become the cheapest option - just watch the mud fly then! The govt needs to sell the poles and wires before this time or is up for a big cost!

The problem with this was back in 2010 solar systems were far more expensive. People were promised / contracted (by the Liberal govt) 40c/unit for 10 years which made these systems just attractive enough to spend $15k or more on - some people took out loans etc to stretch into it. Take away that price after 3 years and you're left high and dry for the remaining 7 and you are losing a lot of money on an investment the govt guaranteed...

This whole schmozzle just was not thought through at all... anyway back to the thread - sorry for the diversion.

Back