Perth property listings - under 9,000

Yes, but my product is also for downsizing boomers so I think I should be fine. When markets turn I really don't like the higher end product $650K+ this would worry me, then again if its Yokine, Dianella close proximity to city should be fine, demand is there.:)

oh yeh I was directing that comment straight at the median pricing... with the threshold for stamp duty free transactions lowered it could skew the median however it is on the presumption that you can actually find something to buy at that price. if they exit the market altogether the median will rise, which is what I suspect may happen

the converse of this was during the gfc when the median didn't get knocked around much at all, despite many properties dropping a good 40% or more

I'm locking in my prediction early - mini boom for Perth during this upcoming spring/summer season.

I still think listing and sales figures, along with general buyer confidence means there's some steam left to go.

yeh I'm feeling strength in the market and supply is tightening, down again this week

2Jul14

Property Listed For Perth

Listed For Sale

4 weeks ago

Same week last year

Look at that number last year hey! dam miracle there wasn't a major price outbreak

I'm locking in my prediction early - mini boom for Perth during this upcoming spring/summer season.

I still think listing and sales figures, along with general buyer confidence means there's some steam left to go.

The mini boom, it never stopped, not in the market I am playing in. I predict continued growth also.........Nice.

yeh I'm feeling strength in the market and supply is tightening, down again this week

2Jul14

Property Listed For Perth

Listed For Sale

4 weeks ago

Same week last year

Look at that number last year hey! dam miracle there wasn't a major price outbreak

I am confused.
How can the supply is tightening if the number for sale is increasing?

Perth housing market hampered by lack of choice

Perth?s residential market is being dominated by house and land packages and apartments, leaving a gaping hole of medium-density housing despite public calls for more dwellings of that type, according to a panel of prominent property executives.

Hames Sharley chairman Bill Hames told a Business News Success & Leadership breakfast this morning the housing stock currently being rolled out in the metropolitan area was not diverse enough to meet the needs of Perth residents.

Mr Hames pointed to a study co-authored by Hames Sharley for the state government, ?The Housing we?d Choose?, which showed 82 per cent of homes being developed in the Perth metropolitan area were stand-alone houses.

Semi-detached homes made up 10 per cent of the market, while apartments made up just 8 per cent, Mr Hames said.

According to a survey attached to the study, only 58 per cent of respondents wanted stand-alone homes, while 32 per cent wanted semi-detached dwellings and 10 per cent were keen on apartments.

Mr Hames said the large gap in medium-density housing, comprising townhouses, units, duplexes, triplexes and villas, was being massively undersupplied by Perth homebuilders.

?We?re not delivering, and I see that as a fantastic opportunity for developers,? Mr Hames said.

?Perth does not offer a complete range of housing, which is available in other cities.

?As we become more dense and as we get more development around train stations and things like that, there are going to be more apartments.

?But I think we need more housing choice, and that also starts to make our city a damn site more attractive.

?At different family life-cycles you need to make different house choices, and this city lacks choice.?

Real Estate Institute of WA president David Airey said the current composition of Perth?s housing stock had largely been influenced by ad-hoc planning policies, which had driven house and land packages on the urban fringes or high-density development in infill areas.

?That?s prevented the public from getting the choice they want,? Mr Airey said.

?What?s been foisted on the public is smaller blocks, which they don?t necessarily want, particularly for families.

?And in the case of apartments, the assumption is that everyone wants to live in an apartment.

?My anecdotal evidence is that a lot of people have tried apartments and have moved back to an alternative lower-density, such as a villa or a townhouse. Those are the choices that are lacking.?

Hegney Property Group founding director Gavin Hegney said Perth homebuyers had traditionally had to deal with compromises when determining what type of property they could afford.

?In the past we have tended to compromise on location and Perth has sprawled,? he said.

?But with 50,000 new cars going on the road every year, with Perth reaching a maturity cycle and going to the next level, and things are starting to be priced and framed around public transport and accessibility, people are making the choice.

?For the last five to seven years, people are increasingly making that choice towards compromising on accommodation rather than location.

?That says to me that apartments and smaller housing choices are very much on the radar.?

Blackburne Property Group managing director Paul Blackburne said apartment developers were beginning to address demand for medium-density housing through increased investment in common facilities.

?There is a huge number of people that don?t necessarily want a house or an apartment, there is a middle ground,? he said.

?But how the apartment market is overcoming that is through increased height you get the economies of scale to do amazing common facilities.?

Mr Blackburne said the company?s recent $135 million Aria apartments project in Swanbourne was a good example of the trend to create five-star facilities, with $2 million of the construction budget set aside for common areas.

?We?re going to see that middle ground being met by apartments, where you just do much bigger and better common facilities,? he said.

?There are towers of 15 to 20 storeys coming in the city and in Northbridge, where there are going to be whole rooftops becoming pools, barbecue areas, private dining areas and private lounges.

?So although you have a smaller apartment, if you want to be in a great area you can actually get facilities that you would get in a hotel at home, that?s where the market is going to go.?

A curious change in the Perth market: Now that a "large family block" is 450 sqm and anything over 500sqm is hard to find except for the outermost suburbs, many builders are now making 2 story homes the standard. Long gone are the days of the quarter acre block, or even a modest 600 sqm plot!

A curious change in the Perth market: Now that a "large family block" is 450 sqm and anything over 500sqm is hard to find except for the outermost suburbs, many builders are now making 2 story homes the standard. Long gone are the days of the quarter acre block, or even a modest 600 sqm plot!

I'm finding that too! Most new blocks are around 300sqm. I couldn't fit a trailer, 2 cars and a boat on that. I would need at least 500sqm.

2 storey is so expensive in WA, you are better to spend the money on a bigger block and go single and save the grief ofdealing with stairs day in and day out.

2 storey is so expensive in WA, you are better to spend the money on a bigger block and go single and save the grief ofdealing with stairs day in and day out.

Couldnt agree more.......why ppl build 2 story is beyond me. Maybe some sort of status symbol in their eyes? Its a wealth hazard as well as so much more effort getting around the house.

My mrs suggested the same at one stage so I brought to her attention how many times she walks into the en-suite and/or bedroom through out the course of her day and that's how many times she will be up and down those stairs!:eek:

Suggestion cured :)

I often wonder about this when watching the English foxtel property shows. Lots of property in England are 2 storie but they don't seem to mind. I would hate to live in a 2 storie ESP if I were getting on in age. I guess over there they are mostly 2 stories as the houses are packed right in.

I often wonder about this when watching the English foxtel property shows. Lots of property in England are 2 storie but they don't seem to mind. I would hate to live in a 2 storie ESP if I were getting on in age. I guess over there they are mostly 2 stories as the houses are packed right in.

In the UK two storey (or more) living is preferred. When people get older they move into single storey houses (they call the bungalows). Bungalows are not desired by families/young people as they are "only for retirees"

If you watch Relocation: Phil Down Under its fun to watch brits get their heads around australian single storey living

Lol. I'm from Germany. Because everything there is apartment blocks with no verge, the ground floor has quite a stigma attached to it.

Whereas here everything is on the ground floor.

I still dream of a balcony...one day...

In the UK two storey (or more) living is preferred. When people get older they move into single storey houses (they call the bungalows). Bungalows are not desired by families/young people as they are "only for retirees"

If you watch Relocation: Phil Down Under its fun to watch brits get their heads around australian single storey living

not sure that's quite the right interpretation - the masses live in compact townhouses, because that's all they can afford. if you make the big league you can move out to the country and afford a bungalow

Couldnt agree more.......why ppl build 2 story is beyond me. Maybe some sort of status symbol in their eyes? Its a wealth hazard as well as so much more effort getting around the house.
People are now building 2 story because you can no longer buy blocks big enough to fit a family sized single story. They dont exist within 25km of the CBD.

Also, whats the deal with land prices in Perth at the moment? Blocks are selling for 80% of the price of established homes on similar lots in the same area!

I grew up in 70's two-storey brick houses where most of your living is upstairs, laundry and games room/bar/escape downstairs and plenty of room for parking and tools. I don't like the Perth designs I've seen of two-storey but do love the Brisbane style and the balconies. It's taken me a while to get used to living at ground level.

Last edited:
not sure that's quite the right interpretation - the masses live in compact townhouses, because that's all they can afford. if you make the big league you can move out to the country and afford a bungalow

This is not the case. If you look at housing in the UK and Ireland most are two storey houses, whether in the city/suburbia/rural.

When we arrived here a few years ago we were really surprised that so much of the housing stock was single storey. Most people at home would prefer two storey and there is an association of bungalows with older retired people (except for a few farming areas where only bungalows or dormers are permitted due to planners wanted consistency with historical building patterns). Most prestige homes would be two storey.

There are obviously historical reasons for the cultural differences - to do with land costs and availability, and availability of building skills/knowledge/materials etc.

I am surprised though that Aussies will still choose to live further out from the city in order to buy a bigger lot that they will then stuff full of single storey building so that there is little to no usable outdoor space. The popular choice seems to be to spend more money on land than the build, so buy more land but build single storey.

I think that this may change though, as land becomes more expensive and lots become smaller - if you notice many of the project builders are promoting cheaper two storey builds, emphasizing the appeal to families of building a reasonably sized 4/2 and still having room for a garden for the kids/small pool etc.

I am surprised though that Aussies will still choose to live further out from the city in order to buy a bigger lot that they will then stuff full of single storey building so that there is little to no usable outdoor space. The popular choice seems to be to spend more money on land than the build, so buy more land but build single storey.
Until recently, the cost of building a 2 story house in Perth, per sqm, was over twice the price of a single story. Thankfully this has started to change.

2 storey living is terrible, you sure notice it when moving from one to the other. I've got one place that when it comes time to redevelop it needs to be 2 storey but I will just stuff the upstairs with the secondary rooms so there is no need to go up there, and put a door on the stairs so there is an ability to control the temperature

Back