Perth property listings - under 9,000

Bury head in sand...there you go.

Count the number of For Rent signs. If they're not listed as For Sale, they are desperately in need of tenants.

"There are now 6,111 rentals on the market - up 37% yoy" -REIWA

It's jus a beginning of the mining investment decline. WA and Perth economies are still hugely underpinned by and dependent on resources.

yeah wheat and cattle/sheep would have absolutely nothing to do with anything at all. move along.

surprised to see available properties heading south again, especially at this time of year. hopefully some more stock comes from somewhere....

Article today/yesterday saying median rent is down $10 to $440 in Perth from memory?

I would say it is a "buyers" market for rentals. Friends and family of mine seem to all be upgrading to renting in nicer areas/nicer homes for similar money.

It's been a good time to be a tenant over the last couple of years but especially so atm.

I don't see myself buying a PPOR anytime soon.

Article today online about Perth rents:

There is no end in sight to Perth's continued rental market struggles, the Real Estate Institute of WA (REIWA) has warned, after new figures show a continued drop in prices to end 2014.

"We've got over 6,300 currently on the market for lease, more than double what we'd normally expect so that's put downward pressure on rents.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-14/prices-continue-to-drop-in-perths-rental-market/6015500

Production engineers are stable but construction / feasibility engineers and exploration geologists aren't! I certainly know there are thousands of engineers out there who were working in Perth five years ago but aren't anymore.

Having said that, in the project teams I know there was always a very large cohort of experienced engineers who got dragged out of retirement by the excellent salaries on offer at the time. There is a well established network of people who don't "have to work" but will for the right price. The vast majority have happily drifted back off to retirement now.

Of the remainder, there has certainly been quite a few that have either returned to the country they originally came from or who are now working overseas (Saudi Arabia and UAE are common mentions) like Blacky. But it's not a lot. Indeed, in the power industry right now, there is a definite lack of talent among consultants as the older generation have moved on and the younger have chased safer jobs in other industries or overseas. There is certainly enough work left over to keep me busy if I want it.
The difference is that the projects are far more labour intensive during the CAPEX phase which is what has driven wa's economy for the last several years.

:rolleyes: Here you go : WA jobless rate surges

"WA's jobless rate surged from 5.3 per cent to 6 per cent."

To put things in perspective, despite its abundant Mineral Resources and a much smaller Population size, WA's unemployment rate is higher than the packed-to-the-rafters NSW where there is higher competition for jobs. :eek:

And that's just the beginning...

Total: 13,001
4 weeks ago: 12,294
Same week last year: 8,877

Numbers on the rise again after a lull over the xmas / new year period. It will be interesting to see what effect if any the interest rate reduction has.

South of Perth

Have a few NRAS south of Perth in Rockingham, is this worth spending time on?

Low priced 2BR below $400k,

But I don't know a lot about the area other than some research reports that say great things.

What is the climate like with the mining slowdown?

But I don't know a lot about the area other than some research reports that say great things.

How much below 400k? What are similar non nras properties selling for?

What else would the same money get you in the suburb?

Are they "off the plan" or ready to go?

NRAS can work but got to be cautious with the valuations as there is often comms built in that you may end up funding via the purchase price.

In regards to the mining slowdown I think there is more (or less) to come before it ramps up again.

Seems the interest rate cut has not had an immediate effect on stock levels/sales.

From the REIWA site;

In this week?s Market Snapshot, reiwa.com data shows there was a further easing in reported sales over the last week as more stock flowed into the market, with all components contributing to the softening.

Despite this drop, sales remain above the level of four weeks ago, but continue to track 10 to 15 per cent below the same time last year.

The movement in sales activity north and south of the river remains consistent.

Listings have now surpassed 13,500 for the first time since May 2012 when stock levels were trending down.

The rental leasing market remains solid with property leased last week sitting at 1,275, which continues to rebound from the Australia Day dip of 1066, and also remains above the level recorded at the same time last year (1,231).

Seems the interest rate cut has not had an immediate effect on stock levels/sales.

From the REIWA site;

In this week?s Market Snapshot, reiwa.com data shows there was a further easing in reported sales over the last week as more stock flowed into the market, with all components contributing to the softening.

Despite this drop, sales remain above the level of four weeks ago, but continue to track 10 to 15 per cent below the same time last year.

The movement in sales activity north and south of the river remains consistent.

Listings have now surpassed 13,500 for the first time since May 2012 when stock levels were trending down.

The rental leasing market remains solid with property leased last week sitting at 1,275, which continues to rebound from the Australia Day dip of 1066, and also remains above the level recorded at the same time last year (1,231).
Is this metro only? units vs houses?

Back