Perth rental "crisis" article

Just wandered through here at lunch - 2 tenanted shops and a ton of empty with for lease signs - arcade open but no foot traffic either so obviously not a useful short-cut or transit route.

The 2 tenanted shops are a flight centre and news agent/cigarette shop on the street fronts

thats the one. bluddy ghost mall in the making, completely bare waiting for a "cheap" 100k fitout.....

equus was always way overpriced, commercial was over 10k/sqm and resi was greater than terrace road prices

i suspect being in the location it is the construction costs wouldve been really high, just the traffic management alone wouldve been painful

Geez Jaycee didn't you ever goes to the movies in the City, there were 3 from memory, one the next sreet over with a Hans cafe opposite and another down one of the malls

Yeah I've done about as much as every perth resident, in fact in my youth, I spent way too many hours in the city, started with catching a bus home, extended into working weekends etc at Hungry Jack's and then later on "hanging out"with mates...... I just don't recognise all the names some people use for them just like they don't remember the names I used for them.

it's hotter out there than I thought. my colleague wanted a place, the agent opened it for inspection twice over 2 days. Whilst tehre he said there were about 15 groups. He offered over asking. I told him he needed to do more than that, like offer 3 months in advance, so he threw that in as well. A working couple with very high combined incomes, glowing references. A week later, declined. I wonder what he would have to do to get it?

actually I bet a corporate took it on reflection

Hi Ausprop

I found the same as per this thread WA Rentals in January 2012

I dropped into have a look at a rental property in the northern suburbs of Perth for a family friend and was amazed at the number of attendee's, approximately twenty different groups of varying ages for the rental 'viewing'

The lease forms seem new as well (similar example attached) which I’ve posted for your perusal

Spoke to another PM who said she has only been in the game for 4 years but hadn't seen it this busy before

Interestingly and according to SQM there were 19,579 properties for sale in PERTH for DECEMBER 2011 up 1% from DECEMBER 2010's figure

I did source a rental for the friend, owned and managed by an investor I know, so all is good there.

given the expanding size of the market (which is consistently ignored?) I would suggest this has swung from a balanced or buyers market to a sellers market for the sub-premium categories

i woudl agree entirely.

agents still sput the 12500 mark, but take a drive out to Yanchep sometime soon, up connolly drive, down hester, up marmion and have a look at the expanding housing stock out that way.

... take a drive out to Yanchep sometime soon, up connolly drive, down hester, up marmion and have a look at the expanding housing stock out that way.

I did this two weeks ago - was shocked. Perths northern suburbs and Yanchep have almost joined :eek:

A lot of it still resembles Tatooine, but give it 10-15 years....

I did this two weeks ago - was shocked. Perths northern suburbs and Yanchep have almost joined :eek:

A lot of it still resembles Tatooine, but give it 10-15 years....

yeah you dont want to drive along marmion when the doctor is in, unless you like sandblasted paintwork mixed with salt-spray.

That'd be as close as my car gets to being washed.

hahahaha funny you bring that up just now, only this morning, as my eldest was doing her homework - "ways water is used around the house" - i suggested gardening, bathroom, toilet and washing the car, she looks at me and says "dad, you dont wash cars! they're OUTSIDE things".....

that's right, she's just turned 7 and has never seen her dad wash a car.

Has anyone got more info with the recent changes to the tenancy act allowing tenants to have maintenance done without landlord approval?

yes tenants should (and are) lock in as long as possible leases with as little ratchet as can be negotiated. the down side is that when they roll off their current lease they will be hit with major blow to their weekly expenses.

I have been looking to buy/rent a 2 or 3 bedder for some time now. Leederville, Subi, Nedlands, etc, with a preference for renting.

Rentals are out of control in popular areas for the 2-3 bed market.

We signed a lease eventually, but I would say it had a lot to do with the agent being a friend of a family friend who just so happened to turn up at the inspection.

Back