Perth suburbs near CBD

Hi everyone, hope to get some advice from you knowledgable lot about Perth as we (me, hubby, toddler) will be moving there in a few months time and I know next to nothing about the city.

I will be working in the Perth CBD so we'll be looking at living pretty close to work, say within 2km or so. Happy to live in a unit but nothing highrise or too "trendy", basically I'd like to know which areas are more child friendly rather than for partying singles.

So far I've had a very brief look at Northbridge and East Perth but I really know absolutely nothing about these areas so any advice would be great. I've noticed redevelopment going on eg Claisebrook Village etc which is built on "industrial wasteland" - any past environmental disasters I should be wary of? Don't really want to live on a toxic dump, no matter how pretty or close to work!

Please restrain your urge to flame me, but I don't want to live next to a housing commission area, so if there are any particularly notable pockets around I would appreciate knowing about them, thanks.

I probably should mention we're looking to rent initially but will be looking to buy later on. Budget is ~$400pw rent.

Thank you :)

Kam,
I've actually done the reverse of what you are doing, am from Perth but moved to Sydney 4 years ago ( wifey dragged me over to be near her family )
Anyway, one of my rentals is in Leederville (apartment), we lived there for a few years before moving over and loved it ( 2kms to the city with all the amenities/transport etc) although we had no kids at the time. Not sure though if you'll find anything decent though for $400p/w, I rent my unit for $480 and thats come down from $525 pre GFC.
Also have a rental in Joondanna (villa), little further north (5kms to city).....more "suburbia" but you'll get a nice 3br villa for under $400pw.....I rent mine for $380 to a young family with one bub.
If you wanna be right in the city, there is a huge oversupply of apartments so lots of landlords negotiable on rents

Ross

Kam, there actually isn't that much state housing left within 2km of the Perth CBD - it does still exist in some parts of East Perth, but that's the only area where it could be said to be "concentrated".

With a young family, I'd steer fairly clear of Northbridge and the newer apartment complexes in East Perth. Despite a reasonable amount of owner/occupiers, the units that are tenanted are often let to overseas students and working holidaymakers who are fond of the regular party in the common areas - and while Northbridge's reputation as a crime hotspot is somewhat exaggerated outside of the commercially oriented streets, you're unlikely to get a lot of quiet over the weekends.

With your criteria, I would suggest you look at places like:

-Highgate (but not too near Beaufort Street)
-the residential pocket of West Perth bounded by Newcastle, Loftus, Carr and Fitzgerald Streets
-the part of Perth between Newcastle and Vincent Streets - 6000 postcode, but nobody considers it part of "the city"

The downside for these would be that transport to the CBD isn't quite as plentiful as it is in East Perth, although there are certainly regular buses and it's about a 15-20 minute walk to St Georges Terrace.

You can get a 4x2 modern house on a small block for $400pw in Rivervale - that's 5km but near a train station. I know for a fact the landlord doesn't make money on that! :rolleyes:

Joondana

I second Joondana for your price range and family friendly requirement thuogh as mentioned it is over 2km from city (5-7 depending on where in Joondana I believe).

I would look North or West.

North - Highgate, Mount Lawley

West - West Perth, Subiaco, Shenton Pk, Nedlands (near UWA)

NorWest - West Leederville, Leederville

North is closer to Perth's entertainment precinct (William - Beaufort St). West is closer to the Beach.

Cost

I would look North or West.

North - Highgate, Mount Lawley

West - West Perth, Subiaco, Shenton Pk, Nedlands (near UWA)

NorWest - West Leederville, Leederville

North is closer to Perth's entertainment precinct (William - Beaufort St). West is closer to the Beach.

Problem with most of those Benny will be price - aside from a 1 bed apartment Subiaco/Nedlands etc will be out of the $400/week price range and 1 Beds won't be suitable (I imagine) for the OP's family requirement.

West Leederville have a good primary school - only one train station stop from the CBD.
Mt Hawthorn has a great primary school - 2 stops from the CBD.

all are beautiful leafy areas with great infrastrucutre.

Cheers,
A.

You're onto something with Claisebrook Cove.

I live in this area and I love it. It's close to the river, parks with free BBQs and walking/riding/running tracks. Walking distance to local shops and restaurants and you can get the free bus into and around the city from your doorstep.

It's safe and quiet while still being inner city. Sometimes I would say it's too quiet, I think given the price of houses in the area, it attracts a certain demographic, that is retirees with lots of money who don't get out much.

Problem with this area is the cost. But there are some rental options:

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-nile+st+east+perth/list-1

Avoid anything south of Waterloo I reckon. Anyway as with any area, take a drive and soak it up! Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful! Based on what you had to say I think I obviously need to reassess my budget and/or look just a bit further out.
Many thanks :)

Have you looked a Maylands? There is a lot of around the $400 and the train is only a couple of stops to the city. A benefit is that all trains stop there, if you go any closer you have to choose which train to catch. On the river, the place is changing.

Hi,

I cannot believe you can get this for $ 400 p.w., but there you go.

3 x 2 on the top floor with a carbay.

It's available in 2 days time.

http://reiwa.com.au/lst/lst-resrent-details.cfm?prop_no=2&searchRef=West Perth&ID=2756220

How the Landlord makes money on this I'll never know....but that's another story.

Holy **** ! If I was looking to rent I'd have to go and have a look and see if I could convince myself to stretch to $400/wk for that place. I rememberI used to catch the bus to work and wach that being built. and seeing the For sale banners chagen wthe the "From $..." amounts going up in regular intervals.

Dont know what they sell for but all I can think is the owner may have bought way back then ?

Back