Perth?

Where to buy in Perth

Paulie you mentioned High Wycombe.. where abouts are the areas with the subdivision potential??
What does R12.5 allow?
what does R25 allow??

I am keen to get into an older place in that area but wasnt sure what streets area would be subject to possible re zoning.. and how soon that might happen...

I had a friend in the shire of kala at one stage but he's moved onto private practise...

Any help/tips/guidance would be appreciated...
Thanks

Kelvin
[email protected]

kelvinh said:
Paulie you mentioned High Wycombe.. where abouts are the areas with the subdivision potential??
What does R12.5 allow?
what does R25 allow??

I am keen to get into an older place in that area but wasnt sure what streets area would be subject to possible re zoning.. and how soon that might happen...

I had a friend in the shire of kala at one stage but he's moved onto private practise...

Any help/tips/guidance would be appreciated...
Thanks

Kelvin
[email protected]

Hi Kelvin,

The areas for rezoning are bound by Edney Road, Kalamunda road, wycombe road and wittenoom road.
R12.5 meaning you can get 12.5 residential homesites on a hectare (hectare = 10,000sqm) hence an average of 800 sqm per home site.
R25 means 25 homesites per 10,000 sqm and an average of 400 sqm per homesite. ie you need 800 sqm for a future duplex site (possibly only 760sqm but you need to have a very good understanding of shire regulations to get it approved).

two properties are currently for sale in this area that I think may be suitable for you, view them on www.reiwa.com.au
http://public.reiwa.com.au/misc/menutypeOK.cfm?menutype=residential

1st property #X282089
2nd property #X284934

Kelvin if you want any more help drop me a line as I am an agent working in this area. Cheers

Paulie

Hi,

Just wanted to bump this back up :p

Whats happening people? Everyone stopped buying in Perth? :(

-Cheers

Dave

dtraeger2k,

Just a quick note for you.

I bought in Perth about 4 Weeks ago, settling next week.

Anyway, when I was speaking to numerous R/E agents and advised that I was from Sydney, the majority of Agents were asking what is happening in the Sydney market -

This question was due to an "unusual amount" of Sydney Siders in the past couple of weeks either flying over or contacting offices for residential R.E.

As everyone knows you can't take what an R/E says as gospel, It was however still intesting that a number of different R/E's were curious as to find out what was going on in the Sydney market.

I would have thought a Prudent agent would be on the ball with this, alternatively this so called "curiosity" may just be another sales pitch attempt.

Make of it as you will.

Regards,

NAS

Hi,

itinerantotter, He said Morley just up there :p

How bout yourself? Buying up the whole state yet? :)

-Cheers

Dave

dtraeger2k said:
He said Morley just up there :p

I must be blind! :eek: Not getting any younger, you know!

Re: buying up the whole state, I've been doing that over the past 7 years - well, most of Fremantle and Coolbellup anyway! Just sold 3, a la Jan, with a view to paying down some of the remaining mortgages - taking advantage of these crazy prices. :p

I'm not saying I'm finished buying - just having a rationalisation period, with a view to retirement.

Cheers

Yes, crazy prices, itinerantotter. Though I think it has only been the rapid growth that is extraordinary, and the crazy prices already seem normal.

I'm getting conflicting signals as to what the market is doing. The fundamentals of the WA economy are very strong and it looks like a few years of growth ahead. Interest rates are still low historically. The recent price growth is clearly unsustainable, and sales have slowed - admittedly from a frenzy. Is 2004 going to see more growth or a flattening of price growth? My feeling is that 2004 will see patchy growth.

I'd like to buy some well located land for the next purchase. Maybe a future duplex development site close to railway line & town - north or east; or a house very near the coast somewhere. Plan to hold for a long time.

I've bought in the Mandurah-Rockingham area and been pleased with growth there the last few years. It is still attractive, so will consider there again.

Perth Advice

Hi

I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask some advice please.

We moved to Perth about a year ago and bought a 3 bedrrom duplex on a fair size block (for the area) in Palmyra to initially occupy and as an investment. We're finding the place a bit small and have looked at larger properties in the Kalamunda/Gooseberry Hill area in the hills. These areas have historically had lower capital growth, which is good and bad, as they relatively affordable for size of house and land, but that means they may continue to appreciate slowly. Everybody says the major drivers or property in Perth are proximity to ocean. river and city. By these criteria, Palmyra's much safer than Kalamunda.

In short, are we mad, from an investment and partly current residential viewpoint, to consider this move?

Thanks very much for any advice received!

David

davidj said:
Everybody says
Davidj - welcome to the forum!

'Everybody' is frequently wrong.

'Everybody' has never been a successful long-term property investor.

Do your own research (the numbers) & make the decision on that basis. Sure listen to the people around you - if you can hear & address their objections to YOUR satisfaction (not to their faces - you don't need to giveTHEM an advantage :) ) you have a greater certainty that you are following the right course for you.

The same road is not right for everybody - and many roads lead to the same destination, at varying speeds.

In any case, even if you are wrong, one mistake is unlikely to kill you.

Also keep in mind that you have flexibility, you could move to the big house you want (rent or buy) wherever it is and turn your current house into an IP :)

All the best on your journey!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks for the welcome and excellent advice. Hope I can reciprocate it. The one thing I can tell out-of-Perthers is its definitely a different market this year. It's been a buyer's market since about November. Seen very few buyers in a hurry to close deals.

Thanks again and all the best.

David

Mandurah?

A little out of town, but what do you think of Mandurah (currently quoted by REIWA as 25% p.a. cap growth) or any surrounding areas?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Hi Nick,

Why dont you have a chat to Pete (a couple of posts up). He has made a nice sum down there.

-regards

Dave

Hi Everyone

I am a new user to this form and have a couple of investment properties in Clarkson (Far NOR), purchased when we lived there. We are currently living in Kalgoorlie, have a PPOR and are thinking about an investment place out here too.

Does anyone have any experience in either of these areas?

We not sure whether we should buy in Perth again or out here? Thinking it might be easier to find a place here (less travel time!).

Prices in the Clarkson area have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years since we bought our first place. There is alot happening up there, new- car yards, shopping centres, train, freeway, more land releases. But we're not sure if the prices are still cheap enough to give good rental return??

Kalgoorlie seems to have quite good rental return. But maybe not such great capitol growth?? Although we are looking more for long term than short, so not such an issue. Prices appear to fluctuate on the price of gold out here!?!

Even though we have 2 investment properties, we are very new to this, with plenty to learn. Any help and advice is greatly apprecited.

Thanks
Rosie

Hi Rosie - I would favour a spread of properties in various towns. If you can't afford Perth why not consider some other WA country areas to give diversification? These would probably be slightly -ve geared but you could use the positive cashflow from Kalgoorlie to fund them.

But there are opportunities for huge returns in your backyard that aren't so practical for outsiders.

If you want to be more hands-on, why not buy an unfurnished place in Kal and furnish it? Instead of 9% with u/f you should be able to get 11-12%. There could be more hassles with f/f but if you're local and willing to put in the work then it could be a goer. There are lots of 1br f/f places and 2br f/f, but I've seen almost no 3br f/f so that could be a niche if there's tenant demand.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks alot for your help. Definetaly some stuff for us to think about. Hadn't even thought about f/f, might have to look into it and see how much demand there is here.

Regards, Rosie

Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle with me.

I am looking at buying investment properties in Perth. Can anyone tell me about areas such as Kelmscott, Seville Grove, Maddington................are they diamonds in the rough, undervalued sleepers or duds?

Thanks a million.

Jabberwocky

Back