Pest Control and Fire Alarms

I'm not at my guesthouse currently so hired a pest company that looked reputable to do the house. They set off the fire alarms. I was hoping we wouldn't get the bill from the Fire Brigade as they are pretty good to us for mistakes. But no, we have a $1400 bill for using an aerosol resulting in a false alarm call out.

I've emailed the bill to the company asking if they have insurance to cover this and requesting they pay the bill as I think it an oversight they didn't isolate the fire alarms or at least cover a detector or at the very least ask me what they wanted me to do.

I've now got a message on my phone admitting it was an oversight but that the key for the fire panel wasn't available to isolate the system - Fire Brigade have told us we can't have a key, only they have the key so we can't meddle with the system. If pest guy had asked I would have got someone to go around the corner to the station ($1400 bill was to travel 500m!) and get the darn key. I didn't even think about the risk as I didn't know what method he was using in the house.

Okay...now before I ring him back I'd like some feedback - should I suck it up and pay all for not organising the fire system to be isolated or asking his methods etc or should he pay all of it for being the one to set it off and not contact me prior to the treatment? Do we go halves? Opinions? I'm not too upset to be honest as I know that stuff happens running the type of business I do, but the money is a bit of a hit!

Still comes back to the pest control company's responsibility to isolate affected systems, even if it involves contacting an authorized isolation officer, I would expect them to pay the full 1400 as lesson in OH&S, if they were working in a roof space with live wires and didn't get and electrician to isolate it could cost a life. It's completely on the pest control.

James

I would think that a reputable pest company would know to contact the property owner to isolate the alarm, especially if they looked for the alarm to find that there was no access. They knew enough that they knew they needed to shut it off but couldn't be bothered following through with a phone call to arrange access???

All good - was fantastic service from the company. They'll pay, they do have insurance too but excess is pretty high so he won't claim on that and he admitted it was his oversight and a one off "bad-day" type mistake.

I would follow that up about the key for the alarm panel for future. I assume this is a DBA Direct Brigade Alarm IE when an alarm activates it notifies the fire service automatically and they attend.

The owner or manager should have a key to enable a section or the whole alarm to be isolated for works to be carried out. This is achieved by calling the control number (inside the panel) advising them you are isolating the alarm and when it will be put back on line.

If you don't want to mess around then have the alarm company send a tech out to isolate and put back on line when the works are completed.

As for the bill, pest company should pay as they are intending to do.

Brian

Also note that when you do put the system off line, you must advise the insurer as you will void your insurance if you have an accident and they have not been advised.

As for NSW-----You are allowed to have a panel key. It is a standard 003 key which you should be able to purchase from any locksmith. You are allowed to isolate your panal. The only thing you cannot do is Reset the panel once it has gone into alarm. Any good contractor (esp pest control) should understand how there work affects a fire panel. Glad to see you have it rectified. If you do not understand how to isolate a panel properly I suggest you call your monitoring company and have them talk you through it to save any errors. If your panel has been isolated for any reason you must ensure it has been de-isolated as soon as possible after said work has been completed.
Any major fumigation work where panels will be isolated for a period of time (especially in a site like a boarding house) I would suggest ringing the local fire station to inform them of the types of work and period of work happening, so If they do have a call they dont misinterpret any initial fumigation mist for smoke. Is a good curtousy at least.

Back