Pest inspection - Can I negotiate?

I had a pest inspection done today and it came back all good, showing no signs of termites.

However, the chemical protection system is out of date by about 8 years and I have been quoted $2600 for a new treatment (termidor, 8 year life expectancy).

Can I use this to negotiate the price down? Is it tough luck? I don't mind, but if I can avoid the cost it would be good. It certainly doesn't sound like a contract terminating issue, so if they pushed back I don't think I could threaten to cancel.

Also, are these chemical treatments worthwhile? The house is brick veneer on a slab in far north QLD.

BR

Can I use this to negotiate the price down? Is it tough luck? I don't mind, but if I can avoid the cost it would be good.
You can try but I don't like your chances. Most properties I would venture to say, have no evidence of pest treatments being done, and that does not affect the price paid. You're just fortunate, the vendors are selling you a house that is termite free at this point.

Also, are these chemical treatments worthwhile? The house is brick veneer on a slab in far north QLD. BR
They are a complete waste of time unless your property suffers an attack. Just like insurance policies - a complete waste of money until and unless you need to make a claim. ;)

If you don't want to do tretaments, then at least pay for annual (or 6 monthly) checkups.

Can I use this to negotiate the price down? Is it tough luck? I don't mind, but if I can avoid the cost it would be good. It certainly doesn't sound like a contract terminating issue, so if they pushed back I don't think I could threaten to cancel.
There's your answer. :)

I know people will say "you can ask and the worst that can happen is they say no".

I would add "and you erode any goodwill", and you might need that goodwill, if, say, your solicitor and/or lender screw up and you can't settle on time, or if you want to go in and do measurements pre-settlement, or ...

There are a bunch of things vendors and purchasers can do to each other to make a transfer go smoothly or roughly. I prefer only to risk ******* the other party off over things that have at least some prospect of improving my position.

The down side of asking is that it lets the vendors know they're dealing with an amateur , so if there at problems further down the line , they might be less inclined to be " reasonable " .

Cliff

Back