Feedback from termite pest inspector

I had a pest inspector do a termite inspection and he told me 3 issues I would like an opinion on:

1. Under the house / floor he told me that there was wood rot on the bearer timber (maybe just above the piers). I think it?s on the side of the house that cops the worst of the weather. It?s rotting in a few places. What are the implications of this? Should I be urgently getting this replaced or just leave it and sort it the next time the tenant moves out.
2. He told me that mould is forming under the house on the floor boards. What can be done about this?
3. He recommended a blanket spray of subfloor treatment. I think he said the modus operandi is to dig small trenches around the piers and spray many gallons of termite prevention chemicals. Does anybody have an idea if this kind of treatment is worth paying $550 for?

Any information / opinions are appreciated.
thanks

Mould is now recognised as a possible serious health issue, so I would be having that issue looked into. Sounds as if there is a water leak somewhere.
Marg

I'm not a builder or pest inspector however. From my experience in managing properties I've always found it wise to listen to the professional and get it done as recommended. Atleast its only $550 I've heard of much higher costs than that. I'm not that versed in this particular treatment however I've heard of costs around the $2-3K mark. I think these also have to be maintained over a particular period.

Once I had a house where termites ate out most of timbers inside. Basically the Kitchen, 1 bedroom and lounge had to be gutted.

Good luck.

Hi,
For mould to form it needs dampness and no ventilation,I would be getting a builder to have a look maybe by getting just ventilation to your subfloor is all you need to solve the mould issue,unless tenants moving out I would fix wood rot too and $550 is a modest price to spray
And termites love this type of environment.
Macca446

The mould is a sign of dampness, termites need to have a drink every day, so get rid of the dampness and you reduce the termite risk forever.

Cross flow ventilation is needed to the sub floor and in time the dampness will go, it may need a summer to pass to really dry out properly.

Dear Donkey!

Some food for thought.

The cost of termite treatment is less than the cost of termite repair.
I agree with increasing ventilation, abut also

If you have an older home

I would be considering looking at increasing sub floor ventilation, blocked drains at ground level, gutters full of leaves and blocked downpipes?

I hope this helps

Back