Pest Inspection done - report not so good

Hi all,

Well as you may have read from this thread http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=245373, I just got a pest inspection done on a property I am looking at purchasing in Yarraville, Melbourne. The price I negotiated with the vendor is $290k and I was planning to spend around $30k in renovations. Once complete, I would estimate the property to be worth in the $360k-$380k range. Note that I hadn’t budgeted for any structural damage, termites, or anything like that.

Ok now to the pest inspection. The inspector I used was quite good. There wasn’t much clearance getting under the house and I had to rip off one of the planks of wood to let him crawl in (luckily he was a small guy). He spent a good 30 minutes under the house looking around. While doing his thing with the screwdriver, on of the joists he tapped was completely eaten by termites. Being about 4” thick, this was quit severe. He could only access about 2/5 of the sub-floor as the clearance towards the rear was very low. He could see that the chance of termite damage at the rear of the property was more than likely as the bearers were actually in contact with the soil. The stumps around the perimeter of the property had been replaced with concrete, whereas the ones in the centre were all wood with no termite shields! He could see mud piled up around the rear stumps from a distance and said it was likely termites had gone straight up.

One of the bedroom windows was completely eaten away. I had initially thought it was termite damage, but the owner convinced me it was water damage. The fact that termites have reached the window indicates that the studs would have also been attacked as that is the only way up! The skirting boards and architraves in the same room also had serious termite damage. The inspector managed to detect some live termite activity in a couple of the skirting boards with his TermaTrac device (little mongrels!). You could see that one part of the wood was all soft and rotten, then further up it was solid.

The rear of the property (bathroom and laundry) has been replastered and there appears to have been some structural work done as well, including floors. Another tell tale sign that there could have been previous damage. This is the part of the property which the inspector couldn’t access from underneath due to the low clearance. There were also a few timber sleepers in the backyard which had been chewed away.

I was meant to have a separate building inspection done this afternoon but the results from this inspection prompted me to cancel. I can see that the costs involved in repairing this house are now far greater than what I had expected. The inspector said the following would be involved:

- Completely remove all the floorboards from inside and dig out all the junk, dirt, rocks, etc from under the house. Access is difficult, so this is the only way. Then top up with clean topsoil.
- Repair/replace any damaged joists, bearers, stumps, studs, etc…
- Replace damaged window, skirting boards, architraves
- Chemically treat the soil and surrounds (roughly $4k - $5k)
- Install new timber floorboards (the old ones would most likely be cactus, they already have borer damage in places).
- The plaster may need to be removed in places to check for damage within the walls, which could lead to more work if damage is found.

I’m sure there is more to add to the list. It appears that the chemical termite treatment is only a minor cost when you look at the big picture. I would expect the majority of the costs to be structural repairs. Another big concern the inspector had was that there are many unknowns. There were parts of the sub-floor that he considers to be “high risk” which he couldn’t access. The fact that repairs had been done in areas is also a good indicator that there were/are issues.

The vendor was present during the inspection and he too was surprised with the results. He could see that I was somewhat put off by the findings and is worried that I will pull out of the deal now. He was quick to mention that he is willing to negotiate the price down if I am still interested. I don’t know how much more negotiable he is though.

Can someone who has had similar experiences with termite damage to their properties give me some advice of how to proceed? Do you think it’s worth me pursuing this deal? Should I get the building inspection done? I am worried that I’ll run into the same problem with the building inspection, i.e. the builder not being able to fully estimate the extent of damage and repairs needed. To me it looks like one of those projects where you won’t fully know the extent of damage until you get in there and start ripping off floors, walls, etc… Would you agree?

Apologies for the long post. Hopefully I can get to valuable feedback.

Regards,
Ozi

Ozi,

Sounds like one to avoid on your current plan.

If the price is right and it suits you, what about a new plan - fully demolish the house and build anew?

regards,

We have had termites in our house. We haven't repaired the damage yet, so can't give you any idea of costs.

But from what you've said, it seems like the damage is extensive and severe. (ours was severe, but isolated to one corner of our garage/main bedroom - we will repair it when we build an ensuite bathroom in the bedroom)
If its gone up into the walls, there may be sub-nests, which require the gyprock being cut out - so we now also have a hole in our bedroom wall.
Honestly, if the situation is as you've said, the guy won't be able to sell the place at all, except for land value. Unless he gets all the repairs done himself. I'm surprised he didn't know about the termites!
So, I would be thinking about what land value is. and whether you can afford to build a house on the land. If not, then I think you should walk away.

Good Luck!

Preventive Maintenance!

Ozi, I do sympathise...I'm just going through the same thing...with the exception that the vendor supplied a pest inspection with the property details, and I knew before making an offer than there were a few floor boards and window sills, and car port posts to be replaced. However, the damage done to your intended property sounds a quite a bit more extensive.

The problem is that I've been through 2 banks who won't lend on termite damaged properties. So unless you are paying cash...you might have a problem. I'm currently going through a 3rd bank and we might make it. I even have a quote from the builder to replace/repair all the termite damage (gave it to the banks with an indication of how I can pay for this independently). Tis a tough ask from the lenders....but I'm nearly there this time....fingers crossed. When I've completed the repairs, the bank will then review a building valuation, and revalue, to extend my loan.

I'm getting a wee bit cranky with people who don't get annual pest inspections and treatment. Tis not fair. Preventive maintenance adds value and protects buildings.

cheers
Sharon

I'm getting a wee bit cranky with people who don't get annual pest inspections and treatment. Tis not fair. Preventive maintenance adds value and protects buildings.

cheers
Sharon

But termites can eat alot in a year!! That was our experience anyway. Their activities were hidden because of some furniture, and when we moved in, suddenly there was a huge problem!

The other thing you need to be careful of is FALSE pest inspections. We told our neighbours about our termites. 3 of them then got pest inspections done, by the one company. They were all told they had termites and needed treatment. 2 of them went ahead with the treatment. The 3rd got a second opinion...... no termites. The first 2 then got second opinions and none of them had termites! They were scammed.

If the price is right and it suits you, what about a new plan - fully demolish the house and build anew?

Hi Pete,

Yes, this would be a good plan. The only problem is the property has a heritage overlay which makes things difficult. I doubt the Heritage Council of Victoria would approve of me knocking down a lovely little Edwardian :mad: A few vacant blocks of land nearby a little larger than this one had recently sold in the $300-$350k range, so I would say $290k would be close to land value. But given the restrictions and work involved, it may well be cheaper buying something fixed up without the added headache. My goal was to buy below market value and be able to value-add, however things don't looks so attractive now.

Regards,
Ozi

We have had termites in our house. We haven't repaired the damage yet, so can't give you any idea of costs.

But from what you've said, it seems like the damage is extensive and severe. (ours was severe, but isolated to one corner of our garage/main bedroom - we will repair it when we build an ensuite bathroom in the bedroom)
If its gone up into the walls, there may be sub-nests, which require the gyprock being cut out - so we now also have a hole in our bedroom wall.
Honestly, if the situation is as you've said, the guy won't be able to sell the place at all, except for land value. Unless he gets all the repairs done himself. I'm surprised he didn't know about the termites!
So, I would be thinking about what land value is. and whether you can afford to build a house on the land. If not, then I think you should walk away.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice Penny. I too would assume that he would have difficulty selling the property with termite infestation, but many owner occupiers who buy in the area are naive and wouldn't do proper due diligence. They would see a cheapie and think great, lets buy it!

The pest inspector told me many homes he had looked at in the area had severe termite damage. Its not so much that the area is considered a "high risk termite area", its more the fact that the houses built in those days were built poorly with low clearances, poor ventilation in the sub-floor, etc... Add that to negligence by the owner and its not long before you run into problems.

Have you had a pest inspection recently? It may be good idea to get the area treated and repaired as soon as possible as the little ferals can come back any time.

Regards,
Ozi

The problem is that I've been through 2 banks who won't lend on termite damaged properties. So unless you are paying cash...you might have a problem. I'm currently going through a 3rd bank and we might make it. I even have a quote from the builder to replace/repair all the termite damage (gave it to the banks with an indication of how I can pay for this independently). Tis a tough ask from the lenders....but I'm nearly there this time....fingers crossed. When I've completed the repairs, the bank will then review a building valuation, and revalue, to extend my loan.

Thanks Sharon! I hadn't considered how this would affect finance. Were you have to accurately estimate the costs involved in repairing the termite damage? Are the termites still active? From what I was told, even it they aren't active on the day of the inspection, it doesn't mean they aren't around. All it takes is the right conditions and they are back! It would be wise getting the houses treated as soon as possible.

The other issue I have is that if I was to buy the house, I wouldn't be taking vacant possession. The owner would be renting back up to 9 months, and as you know time means damage, which costs more $$$. I would need to get in as start repairs/treatment ASAP.

Oh, the owner bought the house in 1992. He had the property fumigated for borers back when he purchased and hasn't done anything since. People assume that just because they can't see any termites, there aren't any.

The other thing you need to be careful of is FALSE pest inspections. We told our neighbours about our termites. 3 of them then got pest inspections done, by the one company. They were all told they had termites and needed treatment. 2 of them went ahead with the treatment. The 3rd got a second opinion...... no termites. The first 2 then got second opinions and none of them had termites! They were scammed.

This is where it pays to be onsite while the inspection is being done. I was fortunate enough to have the inspector show me everything. The inspection ended up taking almost 3 hours, partly because I kept asking him questions and having him show me everything :D

Regards,
Ozi

Ozi/Sharon

I had termite damage appear in a unit I own. Apparently the tenant was aware it was happening but just didn't tell anyone. I am lucky that the tenant moved when she did.

The pest control chap explained that the damage caused by the termites should not be repaired for some weeks after the chemicals had been put down, because if you start pulling out the termite damage it can disturb the termites and move them further into the house.

So, he treated the termites, waited for them to die, then the pest control chap came back and tested to see whether they were still active. Once he confirmed they had stopped eating the timber, I was able to get the damage repaired.

Chris

Well done on the due diligence and that tells me that I would only go ahead if the purchase price was adjusted to an amount you felt a little more comfortable with rather then what it is now.

Get a copy of what works involved to the vendor and ask for a big discount on price.

Other wise tough call I been taught to dodge structural probems as they cost heaps and don't add much value, so you would have to get your value from buying very less then what he wants now.

I hope the agents show the next perspective buyers the report you have got if you don't go ahead with buying, but I bet they don't the mugs.

Period properties!

Ozi,

You are obviously now in a stronger position to negotiate the price downwards, particularly as the owner seems to be surprised at the extent of the damage himself, and says he will consider a lower offer.

You do need to consider comparable sales though, and if you think this block´s land value alone would be 290K, then dropping the price further may be harder to justify.

I don´t think demolishing and rebuilding is an option for an Edwardian property in a heritage overlay. Council would not allow this?!

If you do wish to proceed, it would be absolutely essential to get a building inspection done, to fully assess the extent of any structural/other damages, prior to making another offer.

For instance, with this type of property, you need to consider if there are problems with: the roof (have you been up there yet?)/chimneys/flashings/guttering, does it need to be re-wired/re-plumbed?, it probably needs new subfloor vents/mechanical subfloor ventilation and a new damp proof course, is there evidence of cracking and structural movement (this can be covered up by plastering/painting over cracks), is underpinning required?, is repointing required? etc...The building inspection may reveal many additional maintenance issues.

If your strategy is to buy below value, add value, then revalue at a higher price - which is a good one - then this property may not fit the bill.

Old properties like this are always going to have maintenance issues, but in this case, it is the severity/extent of the termite damage and also the urgency for its repair that are most concerning. The building inspection may reveal more problems, but the key again is, what is their severity/extent, and what is the urgency for them to be fixed.

For example, the property may have evidence of `severe´ structural movement shown by cracks in internal walls (more so for a brick house than a timber house), but this may be old, and the property may not be moving to the same degree anymore, and does not mean the house is about to fall down - as such there is no major urgency for anything to be done. Cracks can be repaired in many ways, at low cost, or more expensive ways.

If you are going about adding value to an old property, you need to consider the severity/extent/urgency/amount of money the underyling maintenance issues are going to cost you. These issues may be very urgent and and costly, but not really contribute much to adding value to the property in the short term - which is more dependent on cosmetic changes. This is more important when we are in a slow/flat stage of the property cycle, like now. In a rapidly rising/booming market, you could spend money on these maintenance issues, and still get a good re-valuation, as the market will have moved up faster in a shorter time period.

Another tip, for the best resource on the web for period properties, see www.periodproperty.co.uk, it is a British site, but still worthwhile posting on the forum for any help. In the UK ,they have much more experience in dealing with these kinds of properties. The other site/forum to look at is www.oldhouseweb.com.

Last thing, remember that when looking at properties in Yarraville/inner west of Melbourne, the soil in the area is predominantly reactive clay soil, which is prone to shrink/swell changes in response to changing weather conditions (summer/winter) and contributes to structural movement and cracking problems - again, this is more an issue for a brick property, rather than a timber one.

Regards,

GSJ

Thanks Sharon! I hadn't considered how this would affect finance. Were you have to accurately estimate the costs involved in repairing the termite damage?
Yep, had to get quotes from pest people and a builder to do the repairs. These had to be submitted to the lender.
Are the termites still active?
Dunno....we haven't settled yet.
From what I was told, even it they aren't active on the day of the inspection, it doesn't mean they aren't around. All it takes is the right conditions and they are back! It would be wise getting the houses treated as soon as possible.

Regards,
Ozi

How can you prevent extensive termite problems like this from happening? Yearly pest inspections??

Yes Michael...pays to have it done once a year. We had our units done....termites found...cost $3000+.

There are often grants available from State Govt for the repair of heritage properties that have been damaged...I'd check out the relevent web sites.

cheers
Sharon

Well, we used to pay $200 for the yearly inspections on our PPR and quite frankly it was a waste of time. All they would do was to tap on some timber areas, write their report, fill it with disclaimers and off they would go! Unless you can get underneath the house (and with concrete slabs you obviously cant) then there is just no point if you think this will prevent infestations!

Hi all,

Thank you for the helpful feedback!

Chrispy, what was the extent of termite damage to your unit? What is expensive to treat and repair? The pest inspector told me that his company wouldn't even provide treatment for something like this unless a significant amount of work was done before hand to prepare it for treatment, such as clearing the rubble from underneath the house and putting in new top soil. He said that the chemicals just wouldn't bond with the current soil/rubble so there was no point. I guess the sub-floor ventilation would also need to be addressed before anything could be done.

Jaffasoft, the property is a private sale and not listed with an agent. It is one which I sourced myself by prompting the owner using a flyer in his letterbox. You are right that most agents wouldn't tell potential buyers about problems such as this. Why would they? They are being paid to sell.

GSJ, I should have got you to do the inspection for me! You seem to know your stuff :D I'm sure a building inspector would most likely find more problems as you have stated. I would say that the treatment of the termite problem would have to be urgent to stop further decay of the property. This alone would be at a significant cost given the amount of work involved in preparation. It also means that I would need to take vacant possession and start work immediately, something which wasn't part of the original plan, both for myself and the owner who would like to rent back for a further 9 months. The house doesn't look like its about to fall over, but I don't know how serious or urgent the structural issues are (if any). Once again, the building inspector would be able to advise me here.

I agree that something like this may not fit in with my strategy. I would rather not have to worry about structural maintenace, or termite treatment for that matter as these things add little or no value to the property. Ultimately it will come down to the purchase price and whether its still feasible to proceed, but at this stage I'm starting to think that this one is more trouble that its worth, even if there is a bit of profit in the end. I'm sure I would do well buying this in the long term, but I could probably do just as well buying something else without the added headaches.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the soil in the inner west. There are cracks in the internal walls which the owner says have been there since he bough the place. He never bothered fixing them. A lot of the properties in the area have similar issues.

Regards,
Ozi

Hi GSJ,

Thanks for the link. That looks like a great thread! I will be printing it off for future reference.

Cheers,
Ozi

Ozi

The unit is in Montmorency. The damage was the wooden window frames, door frames and wooden step on the side facing the garden. The termites had managed to get into a timber panel on a brick wall in the kitchen as well. It appears we managed to stop them before they got into the timber ceiling.

There are 6 units on an acre of land. I immediately advised the other unit owners and 4 of us got together and had the units treated, the other two owners were unable to afford the cost and will have theirs done later. Getting the 4 units done at once meant we were able to negotiate a better price ($760 per unit) that was to have the chemical laid right around the outside of each of the 4 units, this included taking up the brick paths adjacent to the building and relaying them.

I recently hired a carpenter and had the timber replaced at a cost of $770. I now have to go and stain it all to match the rest.

Chris

Hi Chrispy,

Thanks for the information. Looks like you were lucky to get the problem rectified when you did.

Cheers,
Ozi

Back