Pets- extremes

I have three cottages on a single block.

In one cottage, the tenant asked about a cat- and then got one before I consulted with the PM. They have since acquired a second cat without permission.

In one of the other cottages, the tenant has just emailed me asking for permission for a goldfish!

Cats can do alot of damage, they tear at the carpet(if there is any) and I have seen alot of door jams with tell tale signs of pussy cats lacking a scratchy pole! I reckon the goldfish wouldn't do too much damage though;)

Originally posted by geoffw
I wouldn't mind having a pet cat and a pet piranha.

Cats - the other white meat...

Even if the tenant don't have your concent, I don't think that there's a practical way to deny them a pet - I doubt a tribunal would support you dispite having a tenancy agreement which states otherwise.

If a prospective tenant asks if they can have a pet, I ask them about the type of pet and if they feel the house is suitable for that pet (is it fair on the pet). I don't have any problems at all with fish (yet another source of protean).

If you let your tenant keep the cat (bearing in mind that they did the wrong thing in the first place by not waiting for you permission), then no doubt the other tenants will want pets too, and it;s fair to say that if she has a cat, then I can have a cat too-or are you discriminating aginst me?? MORE PROBLEMS!! Get the PM to tell the tenant that the cat has to go!
I don't count the gold fish as a concern.

Tenant has given notice anyway (breaking lease, but it suits me to reno the place).

Cats are going, and tenants will have trouble getting a reference from the place they're just leaving.

pets_ extremes

I put in the lease NO PETS AND TAKE ABOUT 30+ PHOTOS OF THE PLACE so if i find evedence of a pet I can clam for damages but in some cases i dont inforce it but it gives me a leg to stand on it there is any damage:)

Slightly offtrack, but a fair question that begs asking if anyone knows the answer..

How solid are photos for evidence?

Cant you fake photos - how do you know exactly when each photo was taken?

btw, I rent and whenever we have moved into a property we take pictures - before and after, for ourselves. You never know.

But - I know it would be pretty easy to fake a photo - marks on wals, carpet burns, holes etc.

We are fairly picky when we fill out the condition report before we move in - we never let the agent rep do it, or accept one that is already filled in.

I've only ever had to make a bond claim once. My agent recommended I use a camera with film or a polaroid, as a digital can be faked but it's a lot harder with film or a polaroid. My claim was accepted without question, but the damage was quite obvious.

Yes it could but if you take them with the daily news paper 1st & last get them printed that day its quite conclusive i doit as a form of insurance and if worst came to worst i would do a stat dec on them but no one have ever told me i faked them even when i did use them in court but thats life there are people who could do but this is also why I love tica I will aways do my upmost to stuff up a bad tenant.

I have never had a n arbitrator in the court room question the validity of before and after shots as it is now fast becoming a standard to have them taken.

One way to get around the date problem is to have the tenants sign and date the back of each photograph before they take poosession of the property. That way they can never dispute that they were never aware of the photographs either.

Originally posted by Kevmeister
What is tica ?
I'd guess this is TICA:
"Catching them before they catch you"

One of the greatest fears of any property investor and their property manager is that of default tenants yet wherever rental accommodation is offered you face the risk of inheriting one of these people who are able to slip through the system. A fact of investment is the only information available to a landlord or their agent is the information a tenant is prepared to offer. It is highly unlikely that a tenant will advise you that they have trashed another property or owe money for rent. Your asset can very easily and quickly become your liability by approving the wrong tenancy applicant.

The TICA DEFAULT TENANCY CONTROL SYSTEM is the only default tenancy database operating throughout Australia and New Zealand. The system fully complies with the Australian National Privacy Principles. TICA also complies with the guidelines set down by the offices of the Privacy Commissioner of New Zealand. By using the TICA SYSTEM you will be in a position to enquire if a tenancy applicant has previously defaulted prior to placing them into your property.

Members are able to list recommended tenants as well as default tenants.

By uniting thousands of property managers throughout Australia and New Zealand and collating their information on tenants, TICA has been able to reduce their members exposure to those people who believe they have the right to affect another persons lifestyle.

Access to TICA DEFAULT TENANCY CONTROL SYSTEM can be made via the internet, phone or fax. Simply access the system using your own identification number and password and enquire if your applicant has a previous default history.
from http://www.tica.com.au/

Yes thanks Geoff w it is TICA I had to reright it twice as I came in from my email and I loged in but it would not send. so righting it twice it got smaller not happy:mad:

I haven't had probems with digital camera pictures in court (yet) - it is only backing up your written documentation.

When comencing, it would put you in an even stronger position to get the tenants to initial and date the photos when signing the condition report.

Likewise, when taking photos at the end, either get tenant to initial and date and/or include a current dated newspaper. (a newspaper also helps give size comparison to items photographed)

If queried - as previously stated, you could offer to do a Stat Dec. It would also help, if you were starting down this avenue, to also have someone else who could back up the validity of the photos. (ps. quotes for repairs, cleaning, etc would be also proof)

As always - it is better to negotiate with the tenant direct and not be involved with the delays of the court. Negotiating first also puts you in a stronger position if you have to go to court (providing you have documented the negotiations) Good written documentation, especially the written condition report signed by the tenant is a CRUTIAL document (even for direct negotiation with the tenant). Any photos do strenghthen its validity.

It is though great that the court is there when you have to deal with shonky people.

JAM

Back