Photography - I'm hooked

I just wanted to add that there is no point I having a 4K DSLR with a $200 piece of glass on the front.

As the bodies depreciates in cost, the glass doesn't so it's worth investing in a nice lens if you can afford it.

I can justify spending money on anything photography related :)

I bought the DSLR body for around $1k and the 18-140 lens cost just under $500 but the 50mm prime (which I really love to use) was only $96 from JB online :) I guess the 50s are a bit cheaper to manufacture??? and they're highly popular.

I think these two lenses and camera will keep me happy for a while.

Cheers

Jamie

An old Canon phobe here. Was very (& still prefer film) reluctant to go to digital imaging. I have much better FD lenses than the newer/lighter (but not faster) Auto focus lenses.

I bought adaptors for both my pentax bellows & telescope which is brilliant for real close up work. Terrestrial photography is soooo overrated. ;)

I bought the DSLR body for around $1k and the 18-140 lens cost just under $500 but the 50mm prime (which I really love to use) was only $96 from JB online :) I guess the 50s are a bit cheaper to manufacture??? and they're highly popular.

Cheers

Jamie

50mm prime will always out perform an 18-140. Any prime would out perform a non prime lens because of the amount of glass elements inside. More glass elements for zoom range lenses. 18-140 is really bad for quality.

I'm really interested in photography too, one of those things I keep coming back to time and again. I just recently got re-interested after a bit of a hiatus, and need to upgrade my gear badly :p I have a Nikon D70s, it's nearly 10 years old, a digital dinosaur! I have a 50mm prime, a wide angle and a couple of zooms, but need to get some nice prime lenses instead.
Been eyeing the D800 but it's $3000 just for the body. Expensive hobby, this.

Forum wise I used to frequent photo.net, some amazing photography there and lots of tutorials etc.

Cheers

Jamie

Should put more emphasis on lens than body ... cheap consumer lens you get sick with its limitation and quality fairly quickly once you see what higher quality lens can do.

quality lens rarely lose value unless there is a follow up which in Canon world pro lens it like once every decade if any

new body release fairly often with better electronics, sensor and cheaper.

I like this guy write up if you after some opinion and review on lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I'm really interested in photography too, one of those things I keep coming back to time and again. I just recently got re-interested after a bit of a hiatus, and need to upgrade my gear badly :p I have a Nikon D70s, it's nearly 10 years old, a digital dinosaur! I have a 50mm prime, a wide angle and a couple of zooms, but need to get some nice prime lenses instead.
Been eyeing the D800 but it's $3000 just for the body. Expensive hobby, this.

Forum wise I used to frequent photo.net, some amazing photography there and lots of tutorials etc.

I still have D70s as well.. but have afs 80-200/2.8 (yes its AFS not AFD :D)
Even sometimes I play with F100 and F5. Ilford is my best BW film..

If you want comprehensive camera, lens and anything to do with photography, the only place to at least start with, if not stay, is here.

Everything photography eminates from here I reckon.

Good luck!

So now time for a brag seeing as others have obliged...:D

My fav part of the world. Just south of Yallingup SW Western Australia

This one also ended up on a Steve Parish calander.

Oooh, I'm glad people are sharing!

Here are some of my favorites from a while ago.

Mariners falls on the great ocean road
2597574428_b74b87ab8f_b.jpg

I call him pollen bum
2295508419_f39ab82ce0.jpg

Standing in Clarrie Hall dam looking over mt warning
2295501185_f0277a19a7.jpg

Flower at Ballarat Botanical gardens
2448191225_a979eb2fb3.jpg

My oldest dog when he was a pup
2640863195_36048dd828.jpg

Just realised I have too many favorites!

Some more photos from years ago when I was just starting out

Thanks Jamie and Fence.

Fence, ha! Believe it or not, that was my first ever beer - and I soon learnt why I had never had beer before too! Much prefer wine and spirits!

Back