Pixelpost PHP help needed.

Hopefully one of the IT gurus on this site may be able to help me. I want to install Pixelpost on my computer but it needs PHP to run, so i downloaded that as well but can't figure out how to actually install it. There is no .exe file in the zip folder which is what I usually click to install a program.

Also, how would I go about getting server space to publish on the internet?

you need to unzip it and then edit php.ini to configure it
to use pixelsoft you will also need to install apache web server (or any other server) and configure it to use php :)

Server space is dead easy to get, there's squillions of places that sell it, starting from around $5 a month right up to $1000s a month.

But you need a domain name first, and those are really really hard to come by unless you've got a really unique name that 500 squatters aren't sitting on every possible combination therof.

Sometimes its easier just getting a hosting account that already has php and apache set up on it and messing around with that. Means you just need to upload your program to their space. You can always point a cheap temporary domain name at it to start with.

Um thanks but what does that all mean? :( Configure it to what?
You just have to edit a file with a text editor like notepad.exe and make changes so the software knows where it's installed, what is calling it and what it's associated with. It's been a couple of years since I last installed apache and php, but things are quiet at work so could probably help out during next week. Might be more fun than doing paper work.

Cheers
Graeme:)

I like that solution Rumpled Elf - the less I have to muck around with stuff the better as far as I'm concerned.

I did try to open the .ini files but both times it asked what program I wanted to open them with - I guess the answer to that is notepad?

Pixelpost installation doesn't mention anything about Apache, but apparently I do need MySQL...

No wonder IT people get paid well.

why do you need pixelsoft on your computer anyway?:)

those people who's only skill is to install mysql/php/apache usually get paid around 50k/year if that

to get paid really well you need to know much more :)

pixelpost web ap,
on your home pc is there really a need for it, it does no better a job making a gallery than the slide view in 'my pictures'
If looking for a web host, just get one with pixel post, many hosts come with one click installers in the control panel for joomla, coppermine gallery, pixelpost, and of dozens of CMS/blog apps
Coppermine, ECommerce, Joomla, MediaWiki, PHPbb, VBulletin, Wordpress, that install from control panel with one click,
if I learn how to use them, and decide they are needed, without having to learn how to install them

I don't know what Pixelsoft is - I want Pixelpost. It is a software program that manages photoblogs on the internet better than Blogger etc which are not really set up for photos, and better than flickr etc which aren't blogs, basically want it as a feature on my website if I get one. I don't know for sure yet if I need to go down that path, but it is something I have been looking at.

I have done some Googling around and there are Australian web hosters who offer cheap monthly hosting and access to PHP, Apache, MySQL and other such things so I'll go down that path when and if I decide to, haven't found one that has Pixelpost installed, but I will ask.

Given your tech level (or lack therof!), I reckon going with one of the two in the post above would be a bloody good idea for you ... at least for now.

Hosting like that also means you get upgrades and things built into the bargain, which if you're not tech inclined is REALLY worth it. There'll probably be a support forum to join too.

I don't know what Pixelsoft is - I want Pixelpost. It is a software program that manages photoblogs on the internet better than Blogger etc which are not really set up for photos, and better than flickr etc which aren't blogs, basically want it as a feature on my website if I get one. I don't know for sure yet if I need to go down that path, but it is something I have been looking at.

I have done some Googling around and there are Australian web hosters who offer cheap monthly hosting and access to PHP, Apache, MySQL and other such things so I'll go down that path when and if I decide to, haven't found one that has Pixelpost installed, but I will ask.

that's exactly my point, why do you want it on your PC if it's a web app?
try www.indefinitespace.com they have a lot of stuff in their control panel, not sure if pixelpost is there or not (and i'm pretty sure they will install it on demand ;))

Well, I've gone one better and managed to find a photoblogging service that does everything I need for a cheaper fee than a web host. Unlimited storage, my own domain, all the search engine capabilities are built in, RSS feeds, ability to edit the templates with html and everything else I wanted. So I signed up and created my photoblog in about 5 minutes without any knowledge of IT at all.

http://www.pixyblog.com/

Thanks so much for the help and info though, if anything it made me realise there must always be an easier way of doing something :)

Back