Planned holidays for 2009?

Since Moving to The Maldives almost 3 years ago,nearly all my Holidays are spent in Perth. Arriving this Monday for a month long vacation.

Last edited:
planned holidays for 2009

we are going 1st for a short trip to melbourne we love the flower show each year and to catch up with family. later we are off to zurich first time, then a rhine river cruise ending in amsterdam to see more flowers. then to france and more gardens, finally to uk to chelsea flower show and to see more family and back via singapore for a couple of days.
managed to get good fares with qantas back in nov.
it will be 1st big trip in a long time. looking forward to it.
it will be interesting to see how the economy is effecting things over there too.
with water problems in sa it will be lovely to see gardens. it is so difficult to achieve here at present.
regards

China 6 weeks on business and pleasure...cant wait, first trip to there and Tibet (if its open to visitors)..i have a real bad thing about getting to base camp of Everest and possibly higher but i need to get fitter so im going to investigate first hand what will be required when i head back in 2011. cost big $$$$ but at least i can say ive been there done that...no chance of summiting everest...way beyond my experience and i dont intend to be an amature who died trying....base camp is fine for me, its 17500 ft to there anyway and thats high enough for this black duck..

cheers

Big year for us, I haven't been overseas in yonks, and also finally getting to Perth (where we'd planned honeymoon last year)

Perth in April for a week - part business (own), mainly pleasure, got good flights at $400 each return from Canberra. Will be hiring a campervan as we've got mountain bikes to haul with us and it's the same as hiring a car large enough to take them.

US/Canada in July. 3 weeks, return tickets (canberra - New York) $1250 each return (AUD). Did High school over there so got to catch up with a few people - so off to Baltimore, NY (probably only two days all up), Maine, Michigan (for my Dad's 60th). And then off to Canmore, Canada (Banff) for the last week - mountain bike 24hr world champs are on there, Hubby's racing, and gives me a chance to get some good hiking/running in. All up trip will probably cost us around 5k - most of that on food, airfares (michigan to seattle or vanouver), car hire, and accom the last week (have accom for almost the rest of the time sorted through friends/family who are still over there).

Singapore in September. Off to see Tony Robbins, plus hopefully a couple of days surfing over in Malaysia. Haven't booked or costed this yet, but will be keeping an eye on airfares etc.

Plus plenty of trips down to Melbourne from Canberra - hoping to make the move later in the year, will allow me to get part 2 of our business up and going.

December - Hubby is off to Abu Dhabi for racing again, not sure if I'll go, thinking I'll probably be holding the fort with the business at home

My son was at Carindale today and phoned me to say that one travel agency there was advertising flights to NY for around $1200. He said it included taxes. That seems very, very cheap. He seemed to think I would be booking today :eek:.

Brave Lady

Wow sue , You are a brave lady!

When my twin boys were born we were lucky to get a few hours sleep a night. in the end each of us just took a child each and looked after that child. mind you they were premature and wild once home.

When they were about fifteen months old we took them away down the coast and stayed in a motel. They got into everything, trashed the cupboards, etc, etc. Like it was not fun. I think that is the reason that my wife still likes me to go away with one of the boys at a time. She stays home and just relaxes :D
As to holidays. i hate being at home all the time. Away every third weekend. Sydney or down south coast or over Bue Mountains with one of the boys.

Just got back from a week in Tassie. Off to Fraser island in May.

Hopefully a week in snow in July.

Then we do a whole family thing in Aug/ Sept school hols.
Get a great place at Merry Beach. Veg out, walk the beach, sit in front of fire, sleep in, eat seafood, go 4 wheel driving and relax.

May even get Luckey :cool:

Not quite at the stage where we can afford a decent holiday but going up to stay with a friend in the Blue Mountains for a long weekend next month to celebrate a big birthday. Ironfest http://www.ironfest.com.au/ will be on so it will be good fun and very alcoholic!

We seem to take short get aways more than long holidays.

We are heading to Perth for 5 days in May thanks to $99 ea each way tickets! Never been before & at that price we decided it was worth a quick visit.

Then nothing till December when we are off to NZ for 10 days. This will be the first time in over 20yrs that my partner has spent Christmas with their whole family so it should be an interesting trip.

Cheers
Stella

Gee Cee - They will be 6 mths in sept so not too bad. Still having 2 day sleeps and not mobile yet and i think it's still rice cereal at that age or jar food whilst away. Once they get older, it will depend on their behavious whether we dare go away again.

I would love to go away more often on weekends but hubby isn't much of an outdoor type person. He's British and never tried things like camping and fishing. When we bought a tent, he said it's too dangerous coz ppl can break in!

I would love to go away more often on weekends but hubby isn't much of an outdoor type person. He's British and never tried things like camping and fishing. When we bought a tent, he said it's too dangerous coz ppl can break in!

haha. I had to laugh. Our first experience at camping involved a bunch of kids playing with a car tyre. It rolled right through our tent. OOPS! It was my brothers tent. We borrowed it to see if we liked camping. The people near us were in hysterics watching us put the tent up. We became good friends.

I had to replace my brothers tent and buy our own. We used to love camping.
We used to camp with friends every 2 weeks at the bottom of a little farm on the river and go waterskiing. We have some very fond memories of those years.

Wylie - was probably the qantas fares! I still can't believe we got them that cheap in July. :D Means our whole trip will cost about what we'd planned to spend on airfares alone!

It was Qantas. After he called yesterday I found them in the paper today. $1028 return including taxes to New York. I talked to hubby about it, but he doesn't want to take the boys. We both agree that we can save money and they cal all argue with each other for free here at home.

I think we are the holiday destination for the year......:p busy year, so far, people coming and going.

I guess it really means a lot to city people to get up and away to the bush, farm life, animals, play, wide open spaces, sometimes I think we might take it all just a little for granted.

With or without rain.

It's all good.

Hi Sue 78

Hope all goes to plan.

i always thought twins would be like building.

Plan or whatever
Get approved
Start project
Check project
/ Birth
Then
Just follow on

Somehow Just follow on is not always the case :eek:
Hope everything is smooth. But look out for bumps.
Not just in new babies & other children. But self and relationship.

It is a time that can rock the most solid marriages :(

All the Best

Gee Cee

P.S. Get heaps of Sleeeeep:D

Anyone relate ?

American Airlines have LAX to NY airfares as low as $US129. So, if I can use my Velocity points to get to LA, then the cost to get to NY is peanuts.
Way cheaper that flying from Aus to NY.
I'm excited!!!

Off to the UK next Friday (27th March). I managed to talk a friend into going again to see her daughter, so we were able to get the 2 for 1 deal from Qantas. Cost us $1500 each return for the airfares.
2 for 1 deal with Qantas? Does anyone know when these end and when it needs to be used by? Looking to come back to OZ in May/June so could go that way. The cheapest we have found so far are with Air Asia for around 300 GBP each one way.

The hubby and I are off around Europe in a campervan next week. Spending around 5/6 weeks altogether. Going to Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland and France. My sister has just brought a campervan so has lent it to us (no charge) Thanks sis :p All up were looking at about $4k.

Ems

Oh how exciting all these trips sound!!

We are off to Queenstown for some skiing in August without the kids! Our second trip away in 6 years since having kids.

We will take them camping and water skiing at Easter which we all love.

Sue78, my twin sons turn 8 today, so I hope that's enough incentive for your twins to arrive today - I promise I'll always remember their birthdays!

Gee Cee and I - both having experienced premature twins - are most intrigued by this concept of "full-term twins who aren't ready to come out". It must be very cosy in there! :D

The hubby and I are off around Europe in a campervan next week. Spending around 5/6 weeks altogether. Going to Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland and France. My sister has just brought a campervan so has lent it to us (no charge) Thanks sis :p All up were looking at about $4k.

Ems

No way for $4k maybe just for the flights. What about food? parking fees? tours? entrance fees etc

I budget for all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back