Plaster over brick

Hi Guys
I have exposed brick on my internal walls and want them plastered, can I just glue (???) gyprock over them as REALLY would prefer not to have to frame the walls as lose too much space.
Thanks
Pete

Hi Kamak,
There was this thread discussing the same issue a few months ago.
I think your options are either using adhesive straight onto the brick or using furring channels. Let us know how you go if you use adhesive straight onto the brick?

Kamak,

If the brickwork is straight you can direct stick plasterboard to the brickwork with stud adhesive or even liqued nails. If the feature brick is uneven then you may need to batten out and then fix in usual way. Usually you would not need to do a full frame.

Regards

Andrew

Kamak,

If the brickwork is straight you can direct stick plasterboard to the brickwork with stud adhesive or even liqued nails. If the feature brick is uneven then you may need to batten out and then fix in usual way. Usually you would not need to do a full frame.

Regards

Andrew

I agree with the entirety of your post except the liquid nails part. It has been my experience that liquid nails becomes brittle with time, whilst stud adhesive retains integrity (and is likely cheaper overall anyway)

cornice adhesive is what you need, blobs about 200 to 300mm apart vertically and horizontially the size of a 50c piece sticcking out 20mm or so from the wall.
Place the gyprock onto the blobs, use a long straightedge (aluminium is good) to make sure the gyprock is sitting flat to the wall. Tap the gyprock with the straightedge to get it sitting where you want it.
I gyprocked over 200sqm of brickwork in my old house so pm me if you want more details.

potential issues -
if you have windows or doors in the wall you need to work out how you will deal with the window reveals and finishing the gyprock into the door frames.

Send me a pm if you need more details, happy to go over any details you need to know.

Cheers Stu

The only problem I've had with cement render is the hair line cracks that said if it a settled property this shouldn't happen.

potential issues -
if you have windows or doors in the wall you need to work out how you will deal with the window reveals and finishing the gyprock into the door frames.

Send me a pm if you need more details, happy to go over any details you need to know.

Stu, thanks for sharing your experience. I would send you a pm but I'm sure there are may readers who who like to know more. Can you post any more details? I imagine that skirtings & architraves would need to be removed & then refitted (if possible)?

In my opinion cement rendering would give you a better finished look and is more durable too. Why are you averse to it?

Hadn't even thought of it but want a really smooth surface.

Thanks to everyone else and Stu if you could share more that would be great.

Scocia and skirtings off first. Architraves off too if you have timber door jambs.
If you have metal door jambs your only real option is to run the gyprock into the side of the jamb, with timber jambs you can run a timber packer between the existing jamb and the architraves when you put the architraves back on.
Install plasterboard (can use concrete nails through small timber blocks to hold the plasterboard in place while glue is going off if necessay, nail into the brick mortar joints), tape and plaster all joins.
Replace skirting, architraves and scocia- paint and you are done.

Plasterboard is a lot cleaner in renos than traditional cement based plaster - go and have a look at a plasterer working in a new house and then deccde if you want that sort of mess going over your floors etc!!

Cheers Stu

I'll tell you next Friday

Well,

my hubby is doing just that this week. Covering a plain brick wall with plaster. He's the handy man - so next weekend I will post a picture of the finished product and a description of how he did it.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 595
Direct fix Calacatta Extra marble full height bookmatched slabs over that entire wall. Shouldn't cost more than $25K!

Definitely cornice cementas glue but you can get special masonry adhesive at all plaster suppliers. Same stuff except yellow and cheaper

cheaper option

Obviously you want to use stick on because you want to do it yourself. First of all, good work Stu, great bit of research. You can't just use liquid nails, of stud adhesive.These will work for a whil, but liquid nails will separate, because it's not flexible. You may have better luck with stud adhesive, but you would have to be too close to the brick substrate, so you would need a level surface to work with.

I asked the question years ago about the difference between masonary adhesive, and cornice adhesive, and was told they are very similar, but the masonary adhesive has better resistance to moisture.

You do need a good straight edge to work with, and don't m ix too big of a batch, as it sets really fast. You need to get the internal corners plumb, and then place your straight edge accross the board, and push untill your straight edge meets the boards. I like to backfill behind the recessed edges quite a bit, this makes it easier to stop up the join later.

if you leave this stuff anywhere not wanted, sponge it off, because it doesn't sand easily. If the board is not perfect, i.e you have some undulations, you can take these out with base and top coat.
have fun!!!

Back