Platforms for Life

Hi,

Thought I might share some information on some reading/research I've been doing lately.

I've read probably 40-50 books on wealth. The outcome of this has been a significant portfolio of assets.

More recently I've spent countless hours reading 100's of websites, articles and studies on various health topics. The outcome of this has been a trimmer, fitter, more healthy me.

But even more recently I've been reading books on Philosophy. I don't have the fortitude to attempt reading any of the classic texts, they all promise great gobs of verbiage, stuffiness and cryptic hints about things. But I've found an Author who has effectively distilled the thinking of some of History's most famous Philosophers and Novelists into a few easy to read books and even some DVD's if you're so inclined.

Alain de Botton actually has a neat little array of books that dovetail together quite nicely. I found Alain de Botton after watching a series on the ABC titled Status Anxiety which examined an illness that seeps through Western Societies. The producer of the series described the series, Status Anxiety, thus:

Philosopher and author Alain de Botton believes there's something the vast majority of people desire even more than money. Whatever their background or social class, whatever their age or country of origin, what they desperately crave is status.

In this two-hour programme, as well as testing his theory in Britain, De Botton travels to the United States, to investigate status anxiety, asking why people are unable to curtail their painful aspirations and whether those at the bottom of society merit their position there as much as those at the top do theirs.

I bought the book, "Status Anxiety" that inspired the series and was absolutely absorbed. Alain has the most eloquent and engaging style of writing. Everything hangs together beautifully in his words and he has the ability to take a really complex philosophical idea and provide a wonderfully descriptive and apt analogy to help you understand it. To a large degree I'd already well left behind the "Keeping up with the Jones'" thing, but after reading and considering this book I now wish the Jones' every success in their new car purchase, I'll stand out the front and cheer them when they get home if they want! :) This book is an absolute must read, it traces back through history over the last 400 years or so and examines How and Why we seem to be inebriated with consumerism and the desire to ascend the ranks of society in income and status. You really MUST read this book, honestly! Buy the DVD if you have trouble getting through books its available at ABC Shops.

After seeing Status Anxiety and reading the book I went out and bought another of Alain's books, How Proust Can Change Your Life. Yet again I was fully absorbed, I had no idea who Proust was before I read the book but as I found out he's considered one of the 20th centuries greatest writers, Alain uses Prousts work to answer questions like
  • How to revive a relationship
  • How to choose a good doctor
  • How to enjoy a holiday
  • How to turn suffering to your advantage
  • How to make a lot of friends
  • Why we shouldn’t buy clothes in a hurry

I was hooked after these two books, so I went out and bought Consolations of Philosophy

Alain describes "Consolations" at his site as:

Alain de Botton has set six of the finest minds in the history of philosophy to work on the problems of everyday life. Here then are Socrates, Epicurus, Seneca, Montaigne, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche on some of the things that bother us all: lack of money, the pain of love, inadequacy, anxiety, the fear of failure and the pressure to conform.

Consolations really is his crowing achievement. I feel like I've taken 20-30 of the worlds greatest philosophers books, essays, lectures passed them thru a blender and poured the mushy content into my brain where its been neatly absorbed. I know its just a largely superficial examination of Socrates, Epicurus, Seneca, Montaigne, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche but without spending the next 20 years trying to understand it its the best I'm probably going to be able to do. I also bought the DVD of this series which is a wonderful way to spend 2 hrs. de Botton is witty, eloquent and engaging and he makes great documentaries.

Anyhow.. the REAL point of this post was not to wax lyrical about Alain de Botton like some gushing teenager talking about a rock star, but rather to suggest that there's 3-4 "platforms" that are needed to create a happy life.

Without reading some of the works of the great Philosophers or at least a distillation of them such as de Bottons it would seem, to me, quite a folly to make any plans about how to spend or plan your life. As a species we seem to be singularly alone in the ability to completely misjudge what it is that makes us happy.

Just as the Wealth books have made me Wealthier, the Health Research has made me Heathier, I fully expect some of de Bottons work to make me significantly Happier.

I highly recommend you consider buying some of his books, or DVD's, or taking a closer look at Philosophy in general.

Last edited:
Duncan's path to being Healthy, Wealthy & Wise.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I feel many here would appreciate it. Including me. :)

Philosophers as Counsellors

Another spin on this is that depending on the circumstances, perhaps many people would be better off going to a philosopher than a GP, psychologist or social worker for personal counselling and support. An example could be assisting an individual to come to terms with ageing issues.

However, working within the medical model is useful for disease and for some serious psychiatric problems where medication or hospitalisation is necessary.

Family Law has been a milch cow for lawyers and social workers for yonks despite the constant stream of complaints about systemic inadequacies. :eek:

Among other reported deficiencies, men are reported to be most dissatisfied with the feminisation of the available counselling. Maybe it's time to give others, including philosophers, a go. :D

duncan_m said:
Hi,
As a species we seem to be singularly alone in the ability to completely misjudge what it is that makes us happy.

Hi Duncan

What you have said above struck a chord with me in regard to my elder brother.

My brother, who is a guy that has "done a lot of stuff" I wished I had done, eg .raced cars, motobikes, mad fisherman (with big boat), fantastic workshop at home where he builds/fixes things, commodore of his fishing club, etc etc.

Recently, through his employment, he has spent some time in Poland, with local people, in a regional area.

Now he is a changed person. His, comments, "these people don't seem to have anything , live in tiny apartments, but they are happy."

He's 58, and now just wants a simple life.
He is in the process of selling his motor bike, boat and other things. He wants to sell the big house and just live in a small unit, and just relax.

This is a complete turn around from someone who was always flat out.
I would never have guessed it and still not sure it's him.

GarryK

Lplate said:
Among other reported deficiencies, men are reported to be most dissatisfied with the feminisation of the available counselling. Maybe it's time to give others, including philosophers, a go. :D

I agree, blokes need blokes for counselling, over a beer, or in the shed, not some Oprahsized Feminazi who wants us to connect with our feminine side or other such dribble. Men need to get back to being Men a bit more. Organisations like Dads in Distress provide much more value to Men than organisations like Relationships Australia.

Garry K said:
He is in the process of selling his motor bike, boat and other things. He wants to sell the big house and just live in a small unit, and just relax.

GarryK

Good on him, there's two ways to increase your wealth, have more or need less.

This post prompted me to share the link below (and thanks, Dunc, for instigating the thread)
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28478&postcount=9

I borrowed the book from my local library after Ian had recommended it, and found it to be a bloke's book (most of the time). Occasionally, things seemed to be a little too "warm and fuzzy" - but mostly, it fitted pretty well with ME. And it certainly gave me a few more arrows in my quiver. Fits with other comments like "perhaps many people would be better off going to a philosopher than a GP" pretty well.

Regards,

G'day Dunc

I've been thinking along the lines of what do I want to do, what will make me happy, job wise and right now I have no idea. The current job is more of a time waster although a well paying timewaster.:confused:

Been speaking with others at work and there are lots who are doing the MBA thing so they can move up the corporate ladder, get a better paying job, get more responsibility, work more hours, get stressed more.

:confused: The happy part isn't too hard, I'd be happy playing golf, surfing, windsurfing, eating nice food, etc but what about helping people and having a purpose to what you are doing. Teaching the kids is good, enjoy that.

The consumer path is definately a bad path to get stuck on. I like having nice stuff, but need to put a lot of thought into what is needed, what would be nice and what we can get away without.

quolls ramblings

cheers
quoll

quoll said:
G'day Dunc

I've been thinking along the lines of what do I want to do, what will make me happy, job wise and right now I have no idea. The current job is more of a time waster although a well paying timewaster.:confused:

Been speaking with others at work and there are lots who are doing the MBA thing so they can move up the corporate ladder, get a better paying job, get more responsibility, work more hours, get stressed more.

:confused: The happy part isn't too hard, I'd be happy playing golf, surfing, windsurfing, eating nice food, etc but what about helping people and having a purpose to what you are doing. Teaching the kids is good, enjoy that.

The consumer path is definately a bad path to get stuck on. I like having nice stuff, but need to put a lot of thought into what is needed, what would be nice and what we can get away without.

quolls ramblings

cheers
quoll

I hear you Quoll :)

Like you I find that it's exceptionally challenging AND confronting having the ability to "design your life". It'd be well worth your time to do some reading before making any big decisions. My decisions and plans FEEL like they have much more clarity now.

quoll said:
The happy part isn't too hard, I'd be happy playing golf, surfing, windsurfing, eating nice food, etc but what about helping people and having a purpose to what you are doing.

Yeah, that reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend about 'what to do after achieving financial independence'. Went through the whole 'travel the world, relax for a while, blah blah' thing. Then we discussed what we'd do AFTER that.... I mean, it's nice to travel and such, but there's only so much time you can spend lying on a beach, you know?
But it's not just about what to do after FI, it's about doing what makes you happy RIGHT NOW. As morbid as it might sound, you might never make it to FI, so it's about balancing your goals and doing the things you want to do today. I know that for me, that means it'll take a bit longer to achieve FI, but I'm no longer willing to put my life on hold for ten years and that's been more liberating than any decision I've ever made in my life.

Mark Laszczuk said:
Yeah, that reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend about 'what to do after achieving financial independence'. Went through the whole 'travel the world, relax for a while, blah blah' thing. Then we discussed what we'd do AFTER that.... I mean, it's nice to travel and such, but there's only so much time you can spend lying on a beach, you know?
But it's not just about what to do after FI, it's about doing what makes you happy RIGHT NOW. As morbid as it might sound, you might never make it to FI, so it's about balancing your goals and doing the things you want to do today. I know that for me, that means it'll take a bit longer to achieve FI, but I'm no longer willing to put my life on hold for ten years and that's been more liberating than any decision I've ever made in my life.

Spot on Mark. It's that old question about what would you do if you won the lotto (grand jackpot) and paid off all your debt, helped out the family & friends, seen the world, bought the chopper, boat and gulfstream, mansions around the world, private chef, nanny, gardener etc etc etc etc.

What would you do after all that?

Whatever the answer is, you should be doing it now as this is what life is all about :)

Agree, should be doing it now.

Just have to work out how to pay the bills while I'm doing it. Now that is the hard part.

OR

Maybe

Work out how to pay the bills and have 3 or 4 days left each week to do what I want to do. There could be stepping stones I might not have to jump all the way into doing what I want to do if I can't work out how to get the income to do what I have to do.

So even though the financial light is getting bigger at the end of the tunnel, there seems to be a little big more tunnel to travel down before I'm out of the tunnel and into the light. Would be nice to not have all the baggage I'm carrying but I can't bring myself to drop it, love it to much.

I'm going to book shop on Monday. Buy some more reading material.

Now just have to work out what I can do with the variety of skills I've got that will pay the bills.

Cheers
quoll

Garry K said:
Hi Duncan

What you have said above struck a chord with me in regard to my elder brother.

My brother, who is a guy that has "done a lot of stuff" I wished I had done, eg .raced cars, motobikes, mad fisherman (with big boat), fantastic workshop at home where he builds/fixes things, commodore of his fishing club, etc etc.

Recently, through his employment, he has spent some time in Poland, with local people, in a regional area.

Now he is a changed person. His, comments, "these people don't seem to have anything , live in tiny apartments, but they are happy."

GarryK

That's interesting. My wife and I had a very similar experience while traveling through Indonesia more than 10 years ago. Outside the tourist places, everybody we saw was happy just to "be". They didn't have much to live on, but they were so happy. They were able to enjoy the simple things. They were always smiling and very curious to talk to foreigners.

This trip has certainly marked our memories. It has taught us that you don't need much wealth to be happy. I can understand how somebody can change after an experience like that.

Cheers,

Another book suggestion

Thanks for the tip Duncan, I liked the program and will follow up with the books.

On the subject of living in the NOW, here's a great book that really helps you understand what that is about.

"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Only $19.95, great value and an easy read, gob smacking common sense.

Regards
Trump

trump said:
"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Only $19.95, great value and an easy read, gob smacking common sense.

Thanks Trump,I'll check that one out..

I've just finished "Timeless Simplicity : Creative Living in a Consumer Society" by John Lane:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-2520376-1364926?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It really struck some chords.. I'm still digesting it a little and have started reading it again.

Its wierd but I seem to be out of practice in reading, I'm finding I can read an entire page then at the end of it I have no idea what I just read I've been thinking about other things the whole page through. Nasty sensation and symptomatic of far too busy a life I think :)

Last edited:
Back