Platforms for Life

Glebe said:
Dunc,

Great post - I seem to share your views quite often. Except the truck thing.

I think everyone needs a "Truck thing", a fun and interesting hobby that they can immerse themselves in.. do you have your own "Truck thing"?

Glebe said:
Anyway, if any of you want your philosophy a little more east than west, Buddhism may be the way...

On the surface it is labelled religion, but when you get into it you realise it's just as much about philosophy.

This is a great book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-1514495-9119965?v=glance&s=books

Thanks for the link! I've added the book to my list for a look-see next time I'm in Borders.

yep

Yep ive done a bot of philisophical / religious exploring myself over the years. Been to the subcontinent, trekked through nepal, experienced the beauty and the poverty of bangladesh, etc etc at the same time ive hobnobbed it with the wealthy, lived as an expat (even had a maid for 12 months), travelled business class, met some of the richest men in the world, been to 33 countries etc etc

Ive also read many of the books, studies a few of the religions/dogmas, seen most oif the movies and taken time to think about all the big questions.

To cut to the chase the major thing i have learnt is that there is not right way to hapiness. But there is one major thing that without it you will never be happy. And this was alluded to in a previous post.

And that ingrediiant is 'the ability to live in the present'. These are only just words and obtaining this ability is not an easy thing to do. Like anything worth doing it takes practice, involves ritual and techniques to train your mind to constantly live in the present. Why is this so important??? because living in the past or the future creates worry and worry creates unhappiness... Living in the presnt gives your mind focus and creates good habits in the way you think. If your thinking habits become good then your life will be happier..........

DOest mean yu dont plan for the future, but you dont let your mind wonder off into areas where you have no control........Plan for the future, set your goals and work toward them. Dont dwell on them lying in bed, or when your in conversation with your wife/kids etc etc...

Happiness is a state of mind and your mind is the product of what you feed it!!

cheers
the rogue

aussierogue said:
because living in the past or the future creates worry and worry creates unhappiness... Living in the presnt gives your mind focus and creates good habits in the way you think. If your thinking habits become good then your life will be happier..........
the rogue

Aussierogue, I agree with living in the present. Sometimes the more I look into the future the more I worry.

Yet just about every investment seminar you attend you hear ... " Don't you ever think about the future ? "

How many times have you heard this ?

Finding the balance is the key ! I am however continously working on this ... :D

g'day

g'day learning man. Its important to think about the future but not to live in the future. I think thats the difference. I think and plan for the future but i try not to linger too long there cause the future is out of our control.

Its about looking after your mind. So if you concentrate on the present and enjoy everything you do, your mind will want to stay there and not wander off thinking about what you cant control.... Planning for the future will also help you not fret too much because you will have confiedence that you have a plan in place and not everything is up in the air.

Living in the now basically means being present in any given situation. Ie when you talk to people being present means really listening and getting the most of the situation. Another example is listening to music, you get the most out of it and you are the happiest when you are completely absorbed int he moment. If your mind wanders you end up thinking a myriad of things and you dont enjoy anything.....

Thats maybe why people who live simple lives seem to be happy becasue they are living in the present. They enjoy cooking, walking etc etc......

I read somewhere that a person can have 60,000 thoughts in 24 hours and 99 pct of these thoughts are the same thoughts we had the day before....and most of them are about the past or the future. If we can control our thoughts to live in the present we can avoid thinking thoughts which are unproductive and lead to anxiety/stress and unhappiness.

There are a few techniques that poeple use to help train the mind to live in the present. Its bloody hard to do though and people reckon it takes 30 days of constant practice to create a new good habit. Thats why people take off to the hills to meditate, or to a seminary to pray, so they can concentrate getting there thoughts right...

It works for me, despite the wierdness. I tried various techniques for 21 days everyday and i have never felt better...i have an understanding wife...hehe

I have done the philosophy trip for as long as I can remember, I need answers, always have.
I am jaded now though. :eek: :D
There is no right thing to do, as we cannot live in a society or even a family where noone takes on responsibility or prepares for the future or strives to acheive what may or may appear to be material goals or possessions.
I suppose balance is the best thing, Damacles sword is probably an extreme example for most of us, thanks Duncan for a good post but maybe a long holiday would do the trick?, regardless, at the end of the day we have to do what we have to do to go where we want to go. ;)

Hi aussierogue.

What you are saying makes so much sense on a lot of levels.

Sounds reminiscent of some Brian Tracy CD's I listened to once.

I think you hit on the problem of being able to stay focused or stay positive long term, which is pretty spot on, for me anyway.

Sounds like you've had a very interesting life, to date.

Thanks for the post, very thought provoking.

Regards
Marty

aussierogue said:
I read somewhere that a person can have 60,000 thoughts in 24 hours and 99 pct of these thoughts are the same thoughts we had the day before....
It started out innocently enough.

I began to think at parties. Now and then -- to loosen up. Inevitably, though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker. I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time.

That was when things began to sour at home. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself. I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

One day the boss called me in. He said, "Listen, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job."

This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking ..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking, we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently. She exploded in tears of rage and frustration, but I was in no mood to deal with the emotional drama.

"I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche. I roared into the parking lot with ABC newsradio and ran up to the big glass doors...

They didn't open. The library was closed. To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground, clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster. Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting.

At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

One day at a time, I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home.

Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking

I think the road to recovery is nearly complete for me.

Today, I signed a petition to recognize Creationism in our schools and officially became a member of the Liberal party.

No only living in the now, but living consciously.

How many times have you driven somewhere, found yourself at the destination and not recalled the trip?

How many times have you gotten through a day and found it all a blur?

In both cases you may be living in the now, but are living unconsciously - running on neutral - responding instinctively.

It's estimated that many people spend up to 70% of their time on auto-pilot, not in active conscious control of their lives, and only 30% in conscious control.

If you can reverse these figures you'll find that you achieve a great deal more, and understand a lot more of what is occurring around you.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Well, everybody is thinking in this forum. I guess it makes me think also.

Thinking about the past wasn't so bad. I had a simple, poor and introspective childhood. Sometimes I show that far-away glazed look that my better half interrupts 'stop dreaming'!

I have more now. The light at the end of the tunnel is indeed brighter and by calculations they should be enough to live by.

I do live simply, but quality, please. Got a value for money luxury car - cannot stand the vibration and harsh jarring noise of a rickety car. It seems to require quite a lot to live simply. My son is in a private school. Wife wants to retire young, etc.

Thinking. Living simply and not be a burden to others all seems to need FI.

That's enough dreamin' :p

F

geoffw

geoffw - Ignorance is bliss!!!!!!!!! Porkies - now thats a movie!! everytime i enter a school gymnasium i listen for a howling wolf sound coming from the shutters....now what was her name again??

geoffw said:
It started out innocently enough.

I began to think at parties. Now and then -- to loosen up. Inevitably, though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker. I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time.

http://www.google.com/search?q="You...+money&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Cant find the original source of this.. but its funny nonetheless :)

Aussierogue - thanks for the response.

Geoffw - a good post indeed.

No doubt we could come up with sufficient material to write a book on this topic !

I will leave you all with a thought. Something I read a few years back in a magazine. It was talking about millionaires. The article finished up by saying that every single material thing around us started with an idea when someone stopped to think. How else would we have invented anything ?

OK geoff and aussierogue ... no doubt you are THINKING about responding already :D

Great post Aussierogue.

You're right Learningman, we have to think. The trick is to use thinking as a tool and not allow it to be a continuous noise that detracts us from the present moment.

Great stuff is achieved through thinking through problems, and if the individual doing the thinking is happy doing that to the exclusion of all other thoughts then he is probably very happy anyway.

Most of us, however, tend to have a million duplicate thoughts running through our minds. If we control that and separate the mind from our "self" then we can be truly happy. As Aussierogue says it's difficult to do but well worth the effort. I'm only just starting to figure it out.

Happiness is a choice.

Think I need a cup of tea!

Trump

Back